Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Sad to see another MainStreet element fall to the Merchandise Mob?

Well, now that Disney has announced the plans that Al discussed previously about the Bank location changing from AP Processing to the Disney Gallery, I think it's fair to discuss its real impacts.

The Disney announced news is happening in this thread but I think the discussion of the Bank and Mainstreet deserve their own tangent.

I'm saddened to see another MainStreet element fall to the ax. Yes, while acting as the AP center, it wasn't a bank per say, it did have its identity still and the teller notion still held some resemblance to it's past.

But now we have a full on 'art store' going in. Does anyone see the Bank's identity lasting at all?

Isn't this just another conversion of what used to be unique themed elements of Mainstreet falling to the Disney merchandise homogenizing machine?

Why not instead of building 'The Disney Gallery' why didn't they build a themed period Art store that sold these Disney Classics? Then at least they could be restoring a merchandise element some people want, as well as adding something to Mainstreet for the first time in ages.

I for one am sad to see yet more robbing of the identity that was Main Street USA
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Sad to see another MainStreet element fall to the Merchandise Mob?

I'm actually okay with this.

Where else on Main Street could they put the Gallery??? It's not a bank, and having the AP Processing Center right at the front of the park was an eye-sore. Having it be something else is a MUCH better use of the space.

I'd much rather them use the bank rather than take out the Main St. Theatre or something like that.

• Pilot EdForceOne

But why not build it into a Mainstreet piece then? Who knows.. maybe the end result will look like a Mainstreet element.

I'd rather see it as an addition to Mainstreet rather then a simple relocation.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    But why not build it into a Mainstreet piece then? Who knows.. maybe the end result will look like a Mainstreet element.

I'd rather see it as an addition to Mainstreet rather then a simple relocation.
    Where are you going to put it??? And what would you take out???

What was The Disney Gallery should be placed in the California park where the establishment actually fits. I never have been comfortable with Disney displaying conceptual artwork and other behind-the-scenes interpretive material to guests while they are inside the berm.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Where are you going to put it??? And what would you take out???
    I think I'm not getting my point across. I'm not saying put it somewhere else.. if you must put the Gallery on Mainstreet instead of just having 'The Disney Gallery' make it into a store like MainStreet USED to have. Time set stores with their own identities, that were taken from the MainStreet story.

Convert the Bank completely into something that works both inside AND outside as a art store that will sell these Disney pieces.

Give us a store set in the theme of Mainstreet.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The Disney Gallery should be placed in the California park where the establishment actually fits. I never have been comfortable with Disney displaying conceptual artwork and other behind-the-scenes interpretive material to guests while they are inside the berm.
    How does putting it in DCA resolve any of those inconsistencies? There is supposed to be magic inside DCA as well. From this complaint.. you'd prefer it in DTD.

Which is what I think makes sense.. especially given the desire to run special merch events.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Here's my 2 cents

If, on the outside, it remains looking mostly the same, then I'm ok with it. I know on the inside it has the old fashioned quaintness of early 20th century bank, but its not a bank, and hasnt been for a while. If your not an AP holder most vistors wont bother with the building. (except for the restrooms on the side). The gallery needs a home and this building with the elegant looking facade will do just fine. It gives a new place for ALL visitors to explore.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

So, the Dream Suite appears to be claiming another victim. Jay Rasulo strikes again.

While processing annual passports may not have been the ideal adaptive reuse for the bank, at least the structure still appeared to support the Main Street, U.S.A. show for most guests, with the exception of that poorly placed A.T.M. outside the door.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    What was The Disney Gallery should be placed in the California park where the establishment actually fits. I never have been comfortable with Disney displaying conceptual artwork and other behind-the-scenes interpretive material to guests while they are inside the berm.
    You must have hated the Preview Center when it was on Main Street back in the day. That was one of my favorite must sees as a kid!

As for the bank being turned into a gallery, doesn't bother me. I'm more upset that Plaza Pavilion isn't a restaurant anymore.

• =)

The AP center gets replaced by the returning Disney Gallery, and there are still complaints. Goodness, you certainly can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    How does putting it in DCA resolve any of those inconsistencies? There is supposed to be magic inside DCA as well. From this complaint.. you'd prefer it in DTD.

Which is what I think makes sense.. especially given the desire to run special merch events.
    D.C.A. is, at its heart, a museum of living facts. And, a transition is particularly needed between the exit of the California park and the entrance to The Magic Kingdom. The natural segue is an exposition of Walt Disney's transformation of the original orange grove on the site to 1955's happiest place on Earth. That topic would, then, lead to the rest of Disneyland's history, including all the exhibits that The Disney Gallery once presented in its former location.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The AP center gets replaced by the returning Disney Gallery, and there are still complaints. Goodness, you certainly can't please everyone.
    because this isn't fixing the wrong.. just perpetuating the wrongs against Mainstreet.

Your comment reflects the thinking of this as fixing the 'wrong' against the Disney Gallery (which was in itself a wrong) but ignoring the perpetuation of the wrongs against MainStreet.

Just because the AP Center was not perfect, I don't think its justification to continue the abuse of Mainstreet it brought in the first place.

I don't think going back to a functional bank is worth it.. but if not.. why not convert the bank to a time period store. Make the inside and outside relevant to mainstreet.

This is why I said earlier in the thread this is still possible.. but it depends on the implementation of the Gallery. Remember, most of the Gallery's previous 'identity' was that of the apartment itself. It's colors, settings, and decor were more of the apartment then they were of the spirit of the store. So the idea of the Disney Gallery's identity could be reborn and reset in the new location.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

With the invention of ATMs, a bank at Disneyland no longer is necessary.... unless Disney Dollars was that big of a business. What if they ONLY accepted Disney Dollars in the park? Hahaha then everyone would need to change out their money.

ahem. tangent. coming back.

I see what Flynn is saying. It was a bank, and now it's a store. But as I say above, there just isn't a need for it anymore. And I hate to use the whole "disneyland is not a museum" quote but in this case, I don't see any other location that would work for a Gallery.

I'm just wondering if they're gonna change the exterior at all. And if the bank is to become a gallery... I'm just glad its the gallery and not something cheap.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Closed Account

Lets start a "Save the AP Processing Center" petition complete with elaborate forum signatures!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast