Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Due To Cheezy Economy, Will Disney Outsourse Abe Lincoln To China?

Who moved my cheese? Mickey Mouse gnaws away at theme park jobs - WalletPop Blog

As of last June (according to the above link), the economy has prompted Disney to initiate the outsourcing of it's AA robotic figures to China. The announcement of the return of the Lincoln attraction by disneylandnews.com and JoeCool was/is wonderful in deed. Never thought, however, that I'd see the day where even Disneyland and Abraham Lincoln are made in China.

As if the elimination of a multitude of positions at the stateside parks wasn't enough, now all this aditional strife. The city of Anaheim is charging online hotel room bookers $21 million in taxes. We can expect rates to rise steeply as the new policy rolls over on consumers.

WDW is feeling the impact of the sluggish economy even worse than Disneyland. Fewer personnel means longer waits in line for attractions and transportation, as well as reduced operating hours for some of the attractions.

Single day Guests are not spending hardly a dime above the $75 admission price. Locals from Orlando are fewer in number at the park, as a result of 7.3% of homes and 12.3% of rentals stinking away, empty.

Let's hope economic conditions improve and fast. No personal offence to China, but Abraham Lincold was and always should be a product of the USA, and a symbol of Amican enginuity and spirit. This is further symbolized by the fact that Disney invented audio animatronics, of which Abe was the very first.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Here's my 2 cents

Re: Due To Cheezy Economy, Will Disney Outsourse Abe Lincoln To China?

noble thoughts indeed, I'm with ya 100%, but it is what it is. And the sad thing is, if it goes well (AA mfg in China) expect the trend to continue. Dollars and sense always prevail.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Make it Cool

Who cares where it's made? As long as it meets or exceeds the standards set out by WDI? The US is too far down the road of transition from a manufacturing economy to a design and consume economy to suddenly have such noble idealism. When we can compete with the reality of the global manufacturing economy, then this concern is valid. Otherwise, why spend the vast additional sums just to say it was built in America? I don't think that's anything to be proud of.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    Who cares where it's made? As long as it meets or exceeds the standards set out by WDI? The US is too far down the road of transition from a manufacturing economy to a design and consume economy to suddenly have such noble idealism. When we can compete with the reality of the global manufacturing economy, then this concern is valid. Otherwise, why spend the vast additional sums just to say it was built in America? I don't think that's anything to be proud of.
    We have become more of an inventive design economy. This is a good thing, composerboy. Unfortutely, we've primarily shifted from a manufacturing economy to that of a service oriented one. Now, even service oriented jobs all faltering in the recession.

"Noble idealism" is one of the Yanky products that created the once most self sufficient nation the world over. We cannot afford to lose it any more than we than our minds and souls. Lincoln's noble idealism was instrumental in saving a nation from colapse during some of the roughest of times.

All Americans will never qualify for professional and/or technical careers. We need to recapture our manufacturing edge, and do away with the trade deficit. We must defend our home turf if our economy is to turn around, and those who desire to work are to survive. There is no other long-term option ..perhaps no short-term chice either.

• It's all about Theme!

Sorry, I need a little clarification.

The original Abe is still in the Opera house currently, are they really making a new one? Or simply refurbing the old one??

I didn't read this in the other thread so I'm curious to see if the old one is being dismantled or reused.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Senior Minion

Who cares where it's made?
    Whoever ok'd this at Disney will, when this one hits the MSM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post

The original Abe is still in the Opera house currently, are they really making a new one? Or simply refurbing the old one??

I didn't read this in the other thread so I'm curious to see if the old one is being dismantled or reused.
    Don't know yet, Walt Jr. What we know is that Disney has started having it's AA's made in China. It is also a fact that the company is creating an enhanced version of the attraction in order to celebrate the 2ooth aniversary year of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

It's safe to assume that Abe will be changed for the new show. If Disney plans to make a new AA for the attraction, then odds are that Abe would be made in China. If the previous Abe (there have been others) will just receive a refurb, I would imagine that it would be done by Disney. Still, we cannot be certain that even refub work would't be outsoursed to China.

• Legends never die...

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post

I seem to remember somone (Alpoe?) saying that since the old Lincoln figure has been stored and drained of fluids so long, it's not likely usable anymore. Someone who knows correct me if I'm wrong.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Disney is outsourcing only some (read: most) of the Audio-Animatronics. They will still develop highly complex and advanced AAs in-house:

[bold mine]

Disney to outsource making of some Audio Animatronics
    [ . . . ] The memo is dated June 12, 2008, and was sent to all Walt Disney Imagineering employees from Bruce Vaughn, chief creative executive, Craig Russell, chief development and delivery executive, and Kevin Eld, vice president of Disney Creative Production. The memo was sent to and received by the Orange County Register today. Imagineers is Disney’s a word for designers and engineers.
    The memo states that after review manufacturing all Audio-Animatronics figures in-house is not feasible in terms of cost and staffing. Instead, Imagineering’s Manufacturing and Prototype Operations group based in North Hollywood will “build some select, highly complex” figures in-house. [ . . . ]

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Lincoln has traditionally been one of the park's most advanced Audio-Animatronics figures, along with the Auctioneer in Pirates of the Caribbean. If this is still the case, then I would assume Mr. Lincoln is not being outsourced and will be built in-house.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Dive ..... Dive.....

This is the kind of thinking that bankrupted this country in the first place. If outsourcing was stopped we would have a surplus of money, not a deficit. For Disney to contribute to this trend is very anti American.

• When Will It Return?

^ Because isolationism is the road to total prosperity. GO SWEDEN!!!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    ^ Because isolationism is the road to total prosperity. GO SWEDEN!!!
    Didn't say we should isolate ourselves, just increase tariffs to make products in the USA feasable and encouraged. If we did this the United States would be the leader in technology and innovation once again. Small businesses would see a tremendous boost in revenue.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Didn't say we should isolate ourselves, just increase tariffs to make products in the USA feasable and encouraged. If we did this the United States would be the leader in technology and innovation once again. Small businesses would see a tremendous boost in revenue.
    ummm. its our own gov't that sets the tariff by the type of product, not by the country. It was our gov't that passed NAFTA and what happened? mfg went south of the border for cheap labor and duty free shipping back to the US,(new world order! thank you Bush Sr). China isnt duty free but labor is pennies compared to the US and shipping is cheaper than the cost of a truck bewtween SF and LA. Business is business. These are very wonderful, patriotic thoughts, but it costs a lot of money to mfg in the US. Maybe with the huge shake up in our economy right now we will eventually put the talented umemployed back to work in a way that'll make it attractive to keep these kinds of specialty jobs on our soil. IT'll take time though, you can't turn a cruise ship on a dime, but it will turn.
    USA! USA! USA!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Where it's made probably won't effect the quality. It's called quality control, if it's good, you won't tell the difference. No, It isn't good for the economy, but with the economic climate the company is in, what do you expect?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Disney is outsourcing only some (read: most) of the Audio-Animatronics. They will still develop highly complex and advanced AAs in-house:

[bold mine]
    Disney to outsource making of some Audio Animatronics
    [ . . . ] The memo is dated June 12, 2008, and was sent to all Walt Disney Imagineering employees from Bruce Vaughn, chief creative executive, Craig Russell, chief development and delivery executive, and Kevin Eld, vice president of Disney Creative Production. The memo was sent to and received by the Orange County Register today. Imagineers is Disney’s a word for designers and engineers.
    The memo states that after review manufacturing all Audio-Animatronics figures in-house is not feasible in terms of cost and staffing. Instead, Imagineering’s Manufacturing and Prototype Operations group based in North Hollywood will “build some select, highly complex” figures in-house. [ . . . ]
    If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Lincoln has traditionally been one of the park's most advanced Audio-Animatronics figures, along with the Auctioneer in Pirates of the Caribbean. If this is still the case, then I would assume Mr. Lincoln is not being outsourced and will be built in-house.
    highly complex figures seen in GMWML, HOP, and the American Journey have an always will be made in the USA. Due to the highly detailed movements and facial expressions the complete development and construction of them has to be done under close suppervision. Any lack in facial and body movements would be completely assinign (however you spell that word) to the purpose of the attraction.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast