• Here's my 2 cents

Your Experience Expectations at DL

I apologize in advance if this thread is not a new thought to some of you, I'm a newbie here. But, when you go to DL what are your expectations of your experience?
    I always filter my present day expectation through my mind as when I was 10-12 years old. For me, thats when the world started making sense, I "got jokes", I became thirsty for knowlege and DL became a dream of exploration and discovery, instead of being an amusement park with a bunch of rides. Now, mentally, the attraction posters seem to capture my minds eye of those adolesent experiences. Romaticized nostalgia? you bet, but it's the seeds of those early experiences that keeps me gladly coming back to the park as often as I can. While I never get the complete experience of those early days there are moments of sights, sounds and smells that take me back several time during my visits today. What I love about those moments is that they are fleeting and impossible to explain, even to my wife. Here and gone in a moment and would take an hour to explain it. I just grin.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• always, the freaky cat

Re: Your Experience Expectations at DL

When I go to Disneyland, I expect more than just an amusement park. I expect to be transported to a whole new world. Frontierland really does feel like the frontier in many ways; Critter Country really does feel (almost) like you're in a big forest somewhere up north.

And I think that's why many people are disappointed with California Adventure. I remember my first time there, standing in line for Mulholland Madness, thinking, "this place is just an amusement park." Granted, it's a very good amusement park. Some people I know actually prefer DCA over Disneyland Park, because the rides are fun. But many of them are just that: rides. When you ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, you're experiencing a runaway mine train through the desert southwest; but when you ride Mulholland Madness, you're experiencing nothing more than an amusement park ride.

Some areas of California Adventure got it right, especially the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. Hopefully the renovations will help make other parts of the park something to "experience," because that's what I go for.

• I'm not really here

My expectations for our visits are to have fun. To not be bothered by anything. To let my imagination soar freely and without bounds.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sock Puppet

When we enter the Park, it is for pure enjoyment.

No nit-picking, no pointing out peeling or scratched paint on fire hydrants, no whining about a flower missing one of its petals, silverware vs. plasticware, etc... There are plenty of other folks that will take care of that for us!

Sure, we have our usual "must-do's", but we really try and do something that we haven't done in a while or check out a recent change or addition to the Park. It adds some adventure to the trip.

If we go on a ride like Indy that has lots of seating, then we'll sit in a different area of the vehicle to get a different perspective of the ride. We don't always HAVE to sit behind the drivers seat! LOL

We don't "expect" anything from our trip to the Park. No expectations necessary.

We DO get a lot out of our trips though.

And that is what keeps us going back...

• The Dudester

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    When I go to Disneyland, I expect more than just an amusement park. I expect to be transported to a whole new world. Frontierland really does feel like the frontier in many ways; Critter Country really does feel (almost) like you're in a big forest somewhere up north.

And I think that's why many people are disappointed with California Adventure. I remember my first time there, standing in line for Mulholland Madness, thinking, "this place is just an amusement park." Granted, it's a very good amusement park. Some people I know actually prefer DCA over Disneyland Park, because the rides are fun. But many of them are just that: rides. When you ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, you're experiencing a runaway mine train through the desert southwest; but when you ride Mulholland Madness, you're experiencing nothing more than an amusement park ride.

Some areas of California Adventure got it right, especially the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. Hopefully the renovations will help make other parts of the park something to "experience," because that's what I go for.

I agree with you almost completely, except for Critter Country. Walking the path near GRR in DCA gives me a much better feeling of being in a "woodsy" area than Critter Country ever did.

• Progressive Disneylander

It's hard to say what my expectations are going in, but they are always met when I get there. I suppose that Disneyland (and Disney World) have always touched me emotionally in a way that no other place can. It's certainly much more than an amusement park to me.

Of course, it all ties in with nostalgia and feeling like a little kid all over again. Part of achieving that feeling is being able to let your guard down and being comfortable with not being so grown up for the day. Hey, it's still OK to wear a pair of mouse ears and get your picture with Pluto even if you are taller than he is!

I suppose as long as it feels like another world outside of the real world every time I pass through those gates, it meets my expectations.

Two things. 1)Escape from the hard realities of life. 2)It takes me back to when I was a child, and I can still feel those strong emotions I had as a kid while there.

• Sgt. Mgr. Melfunction (:

My expectations are always the same.
    Have fun, forget about life outside of the park.
    It's all about being in the moment, and being with the ones you love.

• Awaiting Walt's Return...

93 Miles North of The ORIGINAL Disneyland

I always expect to take a break from my everyday life, and to walk into this Magic Kingdom full of fun and discovery!(I also expect it to be crystal clean, which it always is!)
    "To all who come to this happy place - welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. Thank you."

—Walter E. Disney, July 17, 1955

LONG LIVE Disneyland!!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I will say my first trip during the 50th celebration to DL was amazing and beyond my expectations but my 2nd trip this past December was kinda a let down. Not sure why.

I remember coming home wishing I had gone to WDW during the holidays instead. I think it was how Disneyland handled the holidays compared to WDW.

No more Christmas seasoned trips to Disneyland for me. Or Halloween trips. WDW just does it better during the holidays.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Vasooki-land Owner

I want to be welcomed to that happy place. I want it to be my land, and I want to relive the fond memories of the past when I'm older. For now, I'll savor the challenge and promise of the future. I want to both see, and escape the hard facts that created America. I want to be able to make it a source of joy and inspiration for me, and the rest of the world.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• Banned User

I have just one specific expectation when I go to Disneyland:

1) to leave my worries behind me at home(and work) and relax and have fun

• Disneynerd Merprincess

Red Face Re: Your Experience Expectations at DL

I go with no expectations. None at all.

The fact of the matter is that some people will always see Disneyland/Disneyworld as a faceless corporate venture and that's that. It's a perfectly acceptable impression, if that's how you want to see the world (and that's your choice and responsibility -- but don't blame me, or anybody else for it!)

At the end of the day, the outcome of the trip depends on me and nobody else. It's not about merchandise, dole whips, mickey hats or even the rides themselves: it's about getting away for a few days with some of my closest friends and being a kid again. Adult Society™ can be frightening for all of us, particularly the rather unkind transition between childhood and "grown up". It's no wonder many of us love Disney our whole lives: what a wonderful, near-universal shared kid experience! I don't even have to know 99% of the people I walk past every day to know that they cried when Mufasa died and probably still somewhat dreamily base their most idealic of any relationship on "the Disney standard".

Bottom line is that most of the hard work the CMs do behind-the-scenes -- the garbage pick-up, the in-character routines, the near constant ride and park maintenance -- goes absolutely unnoticed by me. It flies under the radar. Why? Because I'm not walking through the park thinking about what kind of experience I'm having: I'm just having it. I'm laughing and giggling and I get to gaze adoringly at Princess Ariel dancing by, as if she's the real 16 year old mermaid I looked up to for so many years there instead of an Undergrad food sciences major saving up for a new car.

For me, Disney sells an illusion and a few days to live untethered and completely detacched from outside responsibilities. I'll be an adult the rest of the year easily (in theory!) if for that short amount of time I can just allow myself to see that sort of magic again.

** Apologies; I've never been one for being short-winded...
    BK15:
    Disney BFF and Partner-In-Crime!

Walt Disney World: 1995, August 2009
    Disneyland: New Years 08/09, January 2010, September 2010, New Years 2011

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014
    ... with the Kristoff to my Anna!

Queen Elsa Is My Homegirl

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

I only expect one thing..and that is to let the child inside of me to get out and room around disneyland. no worries, just having good old fashion fun.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[