Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why is there only one entrance/exit to the park?

This is something I've wondered about for a while, then with the incident last week with the undetermined substance that shut down the ticket booths in the esplanade and the entrance to DL, it brought it back to mind... why isn't there more than one entrance/exit to the park? I suppose you could count the monorail as a second, but with it's recent history, the capacity isn't that great, so maybe it counts as .1 entrances. Even if you only had a second exit so you didn't have to deal with the additional man-power for bag checks and entry, it seems like it would help. Imagine an "exit-only" location back between Splash and Pooh that led to the Mickey and Friends parking structure. All those people leaving the park after Fantasmic wouldn't flood Adventureland and Main Street. Or how about an exit over by the Tomorrowland train station that fed an pedestrian overpass going Harbor to the eastside hotels?

If DCA had a second entrance/exit, maybe near the Pizza place in Paradise Pier that would be convenient for DLR hotel guests or a tram dropoff, it would make the whole entrance rebuild this year a lot easier than trying to shoehorn the only entrance next to Soarin.

So is it better for security? Less man-power? More merchandise sales by funneling all exiting folks past the stores on main street? Just seems weird that everything else, from movie theatres to sports stadiums, to your house has more than one entrance/exit, but not a place where millions of folks go every year. Hmmmm.

• or CBF

Re: Why is there only one entrance/exit to the park?

The reason for the one entrance/exit into and out of DL is for people to be funneled down Main Street and into the shops.

DCA does have a 2nd entrance through the Grand Californian.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That way you gotta pass the stores!

• Here's my 2 cents

ther are two entrances/exits. Don't forget the monorail station at Downntown Disney, my personal favorite because I get dropped off smack in the middle of the park
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• We Want The Redhead

In point of fact if there were a real emergency, there are several exits that would be utilized. A completely packed park (they brag) could be emptied inside of 15 minutes.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Sock Puppet

The "show" is suppose to begin and end once you enter/exit the tunnels onto Main St.

And besides, for YOUR shopping convenience, the stores on Main St. will usually be open an extra hour! LOL

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    In point of fact if there were a real emergency, there are several exits that would be utilized. A completely packed park (they brag) could be emptied inside of 15 minutes.

Yeah, there are plenty of alternate ways to get guests out if they have to.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by OregonBoy1963 View Post
    If DCA had a second entrance/exit, maybe near the Pizza place in Paradise Pier that would be convenient for DLR hotel guests or a tram dropoff, it would make the whole entrance rebuild this year a lot easier than trying to shoehorn the only entrance next to Soarin.
    There is an entrance into DCA via the GCH.

And there was originally a third separate entrance into DCA thru a small gate just off the entrance into the GCH driveway. Just two turnstiles as I recall, it was the perfect for guests coming from the PPH or walking in thru Katella. They closed it off after the park's first few years.

Funneling the majority of guests thru and past DTD is an obvious route to take if you want to make additional money.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

I was there in Christmas a few years back during the night of a candlelight procession and have never seen the park so packed. Later I read in the paper that over 300,000... someone would have to check if that was even possible but I swear every inch of the park had someone standing in it.

Anyways, they mentioned that night that there would be a second exit near It's A Small World to help people leave the park.

I didn't see it. Can anyone verify if this ever happens and what is considered a large number. Is 300,000 possible? The exit was an announcement that kept repeating every few minutes after the fireworks and Silver Bells. (IT WAS THE FIRST YEAR THEY HAD SNOW--- if that helps with the year) .

Disney Road

• Closed Account

It actually goes a little deeper than just the wish to funnel guests into the park.

Remember that movie art directors and set designers designed the park, and their experience in telling stories and directing audience attention played a large part in their thought processes.

Disneyland in some ways is about subtle control. Basically, the designers didn't want you to walk into the middle of the movie at Scene 3. They wanted you to see the first scene of the "movie", which sets the tone for the rest of the "film." Main Street is designed to give you some understanding of what the rest of the park will be like, subtly alleviating you of the cares and worries of everyday life.

If your first impression of the park was entering through Tomorrowland or ToonTown, the effect might not be as pronounced.

• Fireworks Finatic!

Just about every theme park I can think of only has one entrance/exit. I guess Knott's does have the "Western Entrance" which they really never use anymore. But they want you to shop for stuff after your day on your way out.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    That way you gotta pass the stores!
    At Dollywood they funnel you right through their biggest gift shop to exit the park.

• I'm not really here

DCA used to have a 3rd entrance for Paradise Pier Hotel guests. It was located next to Mullholand Madness. It's not there any more though.

Steve really summed it up well. It's not just about shops... it's about setting scenes. The people that designed Disneyland were movie makers. They really did think in terms of plot development.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    I didn't see it. Can anyone verify if this ever happens and what is considered a large number. Is 300,000 possible?
    300K would be like twice the legal capacity of the PROPERTY OF THE RESORT (Meaning DL Proper, DCA and DTD) from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    DCA used to have a 3rd entrance for Paradise Pier Hotel guests. It was located next to Mullholand Madness. It's not there any more though.
    It is still "there", just not open or used. And isn't it right behind the new DVC wing at the Grand now?

• Sock Puppet

^^^^

We used it a lot when DCA first opened and we were staying at the PPH quite often.

Maybe it will be the new "exclusive" entrance for the DVC folks?

Yeah, as "exclusive" as the entrance is for the GCH guests...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast