Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Fan

Talking Mission to Mars and Fantasmic!

Just found this in my archives and decided to post it. Here is a video of Mission to Mars from 1992.
    Mission to Mars - 1992

I hope you enjoy!

Also found my Fantasmic! video from 1992.
    Fantasmic! - 1992

Both are a little grainy but still good.
    Brian9549

Relive fond Memories of The Country Bears
    The Country Bear Vacation Hoedown!
    The Country Bear Jamboree
    The Country Bear Christmas Show

Come see my other vids on google and youtube, just search for brian9549 or click here or here or here

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: Mission to Mars and Fantasmic!

Thanks for the Mission to Mars video! I only got to ride (view?) the attraction a couple of times; it brought back some great memories! I still am a bit bitter that the theater was used for a restaurant ... especially when you had the HUGE Space Place facility next door! There was still PLENTY of seating that could be used for Space Place even with the re-routed SM queue. I know Alien Encounter could not have lasted, but it's a disappointment to see another huge restaurant facility built next to a defunct one.

On a bit of trivia on the geeky side for those that may not know ... the neon rings of color in the ceiling of Redd Rockett's is actually a homage to the former Mission to Mars. Those rings are the exact vicinity and dimension of the old circular ceiling screens and auditorium from the attraction.

haha fun! Mission to Mars was so cheesey but cool. Thanks for posting that!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And before Mission to Mars it was... Mission to the Moon!

Thanks for sharing this! My personal favorite part of that attraction was the mission control room. THAT was classic Disney Audio Animatronics at its very best!! Yes the rest of the ride was cheesy and silly, but the mission control room was cool!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

I have this obscure memory of being in a dark room in Tomorrowland and watching a show. I could never figure out what I was thinking of, for a time I thought it was Adventure through inner space, but that was razed before I ever knew what Disneyland was. Since then I just thought it was a combination of theme park experiences but this ride could be the source of that vague memory. Thanks Brian9549 for bringing back memories...sort of.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

A video of F! from it's opening year? WOW!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Yeah.....

Ursula barge in it's entirety! How rare!

Thumbs up Re: Mission to Mars and Fantasmic!

Thanks for the videos man...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• We Want The Redhead

Now Living in Eden Along The Lake Erie Shore In The Furthermost Reaches Of Western New York State

What a fun trip down memory lane! I first took the flight on my first visit in 1968 when it was still a Fight To The Moon. I'm still sorry the 'Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow' that was featured as a huge model on the walk-through exit of the ride was never built. I would stand there ogling the thing so long, CMs would have to chase me out!
    On the bottom screen you would see yourself (and fellow passnegers) blasting off from a trio of domed buildings that formed a perfect 'Hidden Mickey!'
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I was working as a sweeper there that summer - did Fantasmic duty on more than a few nights and never got tired of seeing it. Didn't remember that MTM was still running then though. I thought I remembered it being gone before then. Huh.

MTM fully closed in November of '92, but it was removed from the official guests roster of attractions in 1991. I think it was one of those that lingered around and opened only "on selected weekends and seasonal periods only."

Call me crazy but MTM was one of may favorites from back in the day.

• Minion

Now that was "theme"ing!! It may have been dated in its later days, but it was better than having nothing there at all.

I liked it too.

• ...TWO BITS!

AWESOME VIDEO!

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    On a bit of trivia on the geeky side for those that may not know ... the neon rings of color in the ceiling of Redd Rockett's is actually a homage to the former Mission to Mars. Those rings are the exact vicinity and dimension of the old circular ceiling screens and auditorium from the attraction.
    Did not know that. THANKS! I'll look for it next time. I don't ever recall going in MTM. Yes it's sad it became a restaurant. I loved Alien Encounter .

I'm still not sure what Space Place is.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    AWESOME VIDEO!

Did not know that. THANKS! I'll look for it next time. I don't ever recall going in MTM. Yes it's sad it became a restaurant. I loved Alien Encounter .

I'm still not sure what Space Place is.
    Space Place was a massive counter-service restaurant. Back when the Space Mountain speed ramp existed from the center of the 2nd-story area down to where Cosmic Waves is/was, there were two "hallways" on either side of Captain EO (now HISTA). The hallway on the right would take you to the SM exit and restrooms like it does now. The hallway on the left would take you way past the Captain EO attraction to Space Place.

If you're standing in line for Space, right after the ramp leading up you can see the area kind of dead-ends to a wall. This wall was the location of the counters you would order your food from; the area in front of it was the Space Place queue. Up until a few years ago you could still see the silver sliders that were used to close up the counter. The service/kitchen area was quite large, and still exists behind that wall to my knowledge. The eating area was where the outdoor portion of the Redd Rockett's dinning area is now. Additional seating could be found upstairs and would be accessed by the large ramp that is now used as the SM queue.

I don't think the food was much different than Tomorrowland Terrace, but back in TL's heyday both this place and TT would be packed!

It was a great use of Space (I thought). Knowing what was there kind of makes one question the choice to use the MTM building as a restaurant and still close the Space Place facility. Plus the "new" SM queue we were given seems a little shoe-horned, especially without any additional theming. The one benefit I could see for Food though is that Redd Rockett's has much better visibility, but the Space Place was never lacking in crowds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast