Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• e komo mai

Smile Bring Back the TL Mary Blair Mural!

The Mary Blair Mural should be taken out from under the mural located over the Buzz attraction, restored and reinstalled somewhere in or near 'It's a Small World'. I have always loved this mural and was sad to see it go.

I was thinking that the mural could be placed as a backdrop to the area in the Small World topiary garden where the sea serpent topiary is. I think it could fit behind it.

What are your thoughts? I'm going to write Disneyland City Hall and see what I can do.

I think this mural is beautiful and should come back in some way.

BEFORE: The Mary Blair Mural in all its glory can be seen here.

DURING DE (CON) STRUCTION: Sad, sad, sad. The holes in the Mary Blair creation can be seen here...

AFTER: "New" mural that has been removed recently can be seen here... Yuck.

AFTER AFTER: The current mural can be seen here. (The third photo on the right.)

Mary Blair's mural can be seen in Yesterland.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Bring Back the TL Mary Blair Mural!

I didn't think it went with Tomorrowland...but it'd look good near Small World! Yeah!

• Wasn't Me!

I agree! That is one of the things I miss from the original TL. It deffinately brings back my childhood memories!!

It doesn't belong in TL but it would be a nice addition somewhere over by IASW!!!

I say move or recreate the mural... at either Small World or the Disneyland hotel.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I didn't think it went with Tomorrowland...but it'd look good near Small World! Yeah!
    I agree
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• =)

From what I understand, the old murals cannot be recovered. They were damaged beyond repair while the new ones were being installed.

Perhaps an homage to these murals would be appropriate near IASW.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I loved that mural, total childhood memory flashback, sigh. I'd love to see it brought back to it's glory

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think the mural would look horrid if it was too close to it's a small world. An entire new color scheme would have to be created in order for the mural to fit in properly. Such dull colors would kill the charm and optimism present int he bright display of the it's a small world facade.

Maybe there are some old piantings sitting the WDI archives that could be hung up in the Disneyland Hotel.

• Señor User

Am I the only who thinks that the idea of bringing back something OLD to Tomorrowland - especially something that does not fit into the theming of the land - is just not right?

I enjoy Mary Blair's artwork, but unfortunately, this piece was destroyed. The best that could be done at this point is to recreate it, but then it would no longer be Mary's work - just a recreation of it.
    I need to get a life...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I thought that it was completely painted over though. You mean to tell me that there is still away that people can get it? WOW. Please tell me more.

• Gay Man

One of the mural is relatively intact behind the current murals. The other was distroyed long ago and pieces of it are in a Paris collage.

It would be wonderful if they would respect the artwork at restore it. Both murals were exceptional pieces on their own and don't need their original location to house them and give them meaning. At least one is still restorable.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy Baby
    Am I the only who thinks that the idea of bringing back something OLD to Tomorrowland - especially something that does not fit into the theming of the land - is just not right?
    I wasn't thinking about putting it back in TL. I was suggesting putting it elsewhere. You know, by IASW or in IASW. I agree, it doesn't 'fit in' with TL.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'll admit that I look back on the Mary Blair murals with more fondness than I probably had for them when they were on display, but I've always felt it was odd that a piece of artwork would just be hammered, broken and covered with no attempt at salvage. It would be nice if they (or at least the one that is apparently still relatively intact) could be recovered and put on display.

One thing I did like about these murals was the fact that they emphasized that Tomorrowland does not have to be all about outer space. There was a time when different aspects of the future, ie: communications, science, mobility, housing, etc. were examined. I like the current space oriented attractions, but would also like to see other aspects of Tomorrow. (Yes... I know Innoventions tries to do this... just not very well.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Going through my internal "data banks" here ..........

I think an imagineer who worked on TL:98 explained that some day the mural on the side of "Circle-Vision/Buzz" will eventually be removed once they find the technology to remove it carefully .. and restore it somewhere else. They had no intention of tearing the whole thing down into rubble. Someday we'll see it restored in a more appropriate place.

And like NotAfraid said ... the one on the side of Adventure Thru Inner Space/Star Tours can be found as a colage in Disneyland Paris. I believe in the vicinity of the "Le Visionarium" building.

Though I understood the theme behind Mary Blair's creation for Tomorrowland's promenade ("Children are our future") .. it was too "it's a small world" Fantasyland looking .... Tomorrowland needs to look futuristic. Now finally after 50 years ... the mural for Buzz looks fantastic and appropriate for the land of the future.

I'd love to see them take out the 2 Light Magic towers on the side of SW Mall next to Motor Boat Cruise and install it there. It's far enough away from the ride's facade so as not to conflict with the color scheme. Besides, the nice view of SW's facade from the Matterhorn has been ruined by the "new and improved" path of the Mall since they added the two-tiered viewing area and this might go a ways in restoring it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast