Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• AP holder with no life

The People maker oops I meant the people mover ?

I heard that DLR may bring back the people mover also, I heard the rockets in front of tomorrowland will be removed from the park.say its not so
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter

• The Bell Ringer

Re: The People maker oops I meant the people mover ?

Yay! to a potential PeopleMover return
    Nay! to removing the Astro Orbiter
    "'dognapping.' can you imagine such a thing? 'fifteen puppies stolen.' they are darling little things. anita and her... her bashful beethoven! PIPE AND ALL! oh, roger, you are a FOOL!"

• Senior Monorail Minion

Yeah, well, the rumors have been long standing...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

How many threads have we had on this in the past few weeks?

But I really do hope that the Astro Orbitor is no more soon.

• Halloween 2011

According to Al's latest column, the Astro Orbiter will be repainted silver and blue sometime late 2009 as well as getting new mechanisms to get the planets spinning again. Plans are to move it back atop the Peoplemover station after the DCA makeover (and after that park's visitor numbers improve as a result). So no, the Astro Orbiter is not going away, and it won't be moved until sometime after 2012.

Peoplemover rumors have long been around. But the track mechanism was altered drastically for Rocket Rods and would have to be redone, plus zoning laws would require the cars to be enclosed. With the dour economy and, again referencing Al's column, Disney putting new projects on hold, don't look for a Peoplemover return anytime soon.

• Sock Puppet

Rumors and speculation... You gotta love 'em!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

People Mover = Tron. I'd put money on that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    ...plus zoning laws would require the cars to be enclosed...
    For those of us who are non-locals, could you elaborate please on these laws?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

^From the limited info that I understand, the issue seems to reside with buildings (especially entranceways) being too close to the cars, allowing people to touch them if they want. Since you are in a moving vehicle and can touch/grab onto a stationary object, that is potentially dangerous. OSHA laws require guests not to be able to touch anything outside of their moving vehicle.

I don't know when these laws were passed, but the PeopleMover was grandfathered in to the old laws and didn't have to change. However, since the attraction was removed completely and replaced with Rocket Rods, a newer PeopleMover couldn't be grandfathered in. Guests were restrained in Rocket Rods enough so that they couldn't touch anything. So the working theory is that a new PM would have to be enclosed.

This, again, is what I believe from limited understanding. If anyone who knows more about this can correct me, please do!

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

The local laws is one of the major concerns with using the current peoplemover track. I also was told that due to the really bad design of rocket rods many of the colums and tracks are structurally unsafe. Several of the banked turns created enough stress to crack the colums and walkways. So if they were to create another people they would totally have to start from scratch. IMO they should have done that in the first place with Rocket Rods.

With TR2N Tron2.0 or wahtever is called coming out soon I wonder if they will promote anythign in Tomorrowland. They really need to get rid of Innovations completely and build a real E-ticket that winds through TL. Just my .02 cents
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    ^From the limited info that I understand, the issue seems to reside with buildings (especially entranceways) being too close to the cars, allowing people to touch them if they want. Since you are in a moving vehicle and can touch/grab onto a stationary object, that is potentially dangerous. OSHA laws require guests not to be able to touch anything outside of their moving vehicle.

I don't know when these laws were passed, but the PeopleMover was grandfathered in to the old laws and didn't have to change. However, since the attraction was removed completely and replaced with Rocket Rods, a newer PeopleMover couldn't be grandfathered in. Guests were restrained in Rocket Rods enough so that they couldn't touch anything. So the working theory is that a new PM would have to be enclosed.

This, again, is what I believe from limited understanding. If anyone who knows more about this can correct me, please do!
    In a nutshell, you got it! The decision to replace the Peoplemover with Rocketrods ruined any future attempt at correcting their mistake by just bringing back the peoplemover. Thank you Mr Pressler, your legacy will live on for years to come, Brilliant!!!!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    ^From the limited info that I understand, the issue seems to reside with buildings (especially entranceways) being too close to the cars, allowing people to touch them if they want. Since you are in a moving vehicle and can touch/grab onto a stationary object, that is potentially dangerous. OSHA laws require guests not to be able to touch anything outside of their moving vehicle. <snip> Guests were restrained in Rocket Rods enough so that they couldn't touch anything. So the working theory is that a new PM would have to be enclosed.
    Or they could build the Peoplemover with full 5-point harness-style seat belts and arm rests with clamps that close over the wrist. And nobody would call it the People Maker with those kind of restraints...

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    In a nutshell, you got it! The decision to replace the Peoplemover with Rocketrods ruined any future attempt at correcting their mistake by just bringing back the peoplemover. Thank you Mr Pressler, your legacy will live on for years to come, Brilliant!!!!
    Yes, thank you Mr. Pressler..... After destroying Disney and the Gap does anyone know which company he's trying to kill now?

• Rawr...

Avon I think... not much to ruin there!

Anywhoo... I think it may be good to redesign the peoplemover cars, they were looking a smootch dated...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by trippyhop View Post
    Yay! to a potential PeopleMover return
    Nay! to removing the Astro Orbiter
    I thought I read in Al's articles that the Rockets will be put back to where they use to be (high above the old PM).
    He gave no date, but gave rumor to it.

ah, here's the article: (MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...)
    As part of the plan to debut a new Star Tours in 2010 that included updates to the attraction façade, the entrance to Tomorrowland was supposed to get an update as well. The AstroOrbiter was planned to be repainted in a new silver and blue color scheme, and the entrance to the land was going to be opened up and rethemed a bit. The refurbishment and new paint for the AstroOrbiter is still budgeted and planned for later in 2009, as the mechanical structure needs maintenance and new parts to allow the revolving planets to spin again. But that new paint job and refurbishment was really supposed to tie in with the dramatically redone Star Tours 2.0 next door.
    Still, it's the last bit of the 1998 New Tomorrowland that has yet to be redone, so it's needed regardless of what is to become of Star Tours. And yes, once DCA proves itself and Tony Baxter gets the green-light for his big budget retheme of Tomorrowland, the Astro Orbiter will return to its rightful place atop the PeopleMover station. But the paint job and mechanical refurbishment is still needed in the meantime.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast