Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Would Additional Live Animals Contribute To DLR's Guest Experience?

Interacting with the live animals at Disneyland has always been one of my favorite experiences. The horsedrawn streetcars on Main Street seems to be the last vestage where guests can encounter live critters whenever they desire. Each and every visit, I never miss this delightful experience ..even though I have to watch where I step once back onto the street.

Occasionally when one is lucky, they can experience exotic animals at Tarzan's Treehouse whenever keepers from zoos bring them to show. You can even handle some of them. Talk about a thrill.

Unfortunately, most of the animal attractions are closed. Gone is the Critter Corral petting zoo. The horse drawn wagons and pack mule ride of Fronteerland's yesteryear are but a memory ..though one that has stuck with me for a lifetime.

In today's lawsuit happy society, Disney's legal magicians have a way of making the animals all disappear. This leaves a void in my heart, and I yearn for a return to simpler times when live animals were an integral part of the guest experience.

If Disney reopens the former Rainbow Desert trails area one day, seems like a ride atop mules, horses or elephants would be good fun. Surely, they could close the trail area off more securely than they did years ago, when one or two mules escaped. People ride Yosemite teams of horses all the time. Why would this not be doable at DL. The same can be said of the elephants both parents and kids ride at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in NorCal.

Also, an exotic bird show such as the one at Disney's Animal Kingdom would also be a great experience.

Who out there agrees with me that more live animal attraction offerings would significantly contribute to a better guest experience?

If any of you have ideas of your own for utilizing animals at Disneyland or DCA, I would love to hear about them.

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Down Pluto!

Re: Would Additional Live Animals Contribute To DLR's Guest Experience?

No. That's what zoos are for.

Animals appropriate for the theme (streetcars, pack mules, etc) but not for "playing with". I find that distasteful in venues like Disneyland.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Yeah.....

You must not have visited Big Thunder Ranch anytime in the past few years. It's a fun little retreat where you can pet and feed the live billy goats and sheep, as well as view a couple of cows, donkeys, or even bulls all kept safe in their pens. It is also the place where every November the "presidentially pardoned" turkeys are given a home safe and far away from any dinner tables. Not to mention, eight of Santa's reindeer regularly touch down every winter for guests to visit and take pictures with.

I'd say Disneyland's animal offerings are quite sufficient for only being a side-trip out of your way to visit. DCA could sure use a few more residents, though. Let's just all hope that when the ranch returns from it's "celebration" refurb later this year, the goats don't come back wearing party hats!

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

As much as I love animals (all kinds from cats and dogs, to scorpions, birds, and sharks) I don't think they should be incorporated too much into Disneyland. "Too much" being the key wording. I think a SEVERELY themed queue for the "Finding Nemo" subs would have been amazing with actual aquariums throughout with fish and creatures found throughout the "E.A.C.," MiceChat Dudes! However, in the big scope of things Disney's Animal Kingdom works just fine as a place to find animals at a Disney park.

- Joe

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    You must not have visited Big Thunder Ranch anytime in the past few years. It's a fun little retreat where you can pet and feed the live billy goats and sheep, as well as view a couple of cows, donkeys, or even bulls all kept safe in their pens. It is also the place where every November the "presidentially pardoned" turkeys are given a home safe and far away from any dinner tables. Not to mention, eight of Santa's reindeer regularly touch down every winter for guests to visit and take pictures with.

I'd say Disneyland's animal offerings are quite sufficient for only being a side-trip out of your way to visit. DCA could sure use a few more residents, though. Let's just all hope that when the ranch returns from it's "celebration" refurb later this year, the goats don't come back wearing party hats!

The goats would probably eat their party hats ..and I've got to see those presidentially pardened Thanksgiving turkeys.

Shamefull truth is that I've never visited Big Thunder Ranch. Guess i'm always too busy riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Glad to hear that it's there though. All those critters would be a right nice diversion.

Glad you agree with me that DCA could use some residents. The park has never had anything other than freeloading birds ..and I'm certain that cockroaches hang out at the eateries foraging for free grunts.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    As much as I love animals (all kinds from cats and dogs, to scorpions, birds, and sharks) I don't think they should be incorporated too much into Disneyland. "Too much" being the key wording. I think a SEVERELY themed queue for the "Finding Nemo" subs would have been amazing with actual aquariums throughout with fish and creatures found throughout the "E.A.C.," MiceChat Dudes! However, in the big scope of things Disney's Animal Kingdom works just fine as a place to find animals at a Disney park.

- Joe
    Aquariums on the primises of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is an excellent idea, Q4D. If I were you, I would leave a suggestion with Guest relations next time you're there.

• Senior Monorail Minion

I always thought FNSV needed lots of aquariums. Howver, I thought Adventureland should have a live exotic bird show, possibly in the abandoned Oasis Theatre, but that it would just add so much to the theme.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

no also.. since i think animals will get scared off more on rides or DL machinery..
    just do what you think...

• Sock Puppet

Live animals are unpredictable and expensive.

And God forbid if one of them attacks a guest (even if it was the guests fault) or dies while on display.

What a thread topic that would make!

Nope, I'm all for leaving it the way it is now.

Big Thunder Ranch is "wild" enough for me...

Oh, BTW, have the pardoned turkeys been "retired" to the turkey leg carts yet??? I haven't noticed.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

I love animals, but I've always found "animal shows" to be a bit boring to me. But that's just a personal preference and no one is forcing me to go see anything.

Aladdin's Oasis could make for an interesting venue - at least thematically - but it's a little small I think? I don't think anything to the scale of Seaworld's Wings of the Worlds could be done there.

And other animal shows - like Universal's Animal Actor's Stage - would have no real thematic fit in Disneyland; maybe in HPB at DCA, but I'd love to see any real estate there go to other things.

I would love to see a real bareback riding rodeo in Frontierland ... but oh the liability and guests complaints of animal cruelty.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Occasionally when one is lucky, they can experience exotic animals at Tarzan's Treehouse whenever keepers from zoos bring them to show. You can even handle some of them. Talk about a thrill.
    Really? I have never heard of this!

I think there are plenty enough animals in Disneyland. There are other places for animal shows and such.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• in the Golden Afternoon

Aquarium in Nemo would be awesome! I might actually ride it then:]

• Yeah.....

Didn't there used to be a snake handler with a python that hung around in the exit tunnel of Indy?

I personally want to see more live animals at Disneyland, I think it be a breath taking experience to see them.

I would LOVE to see real animals in jungle cruise(i remember reading an article that Walt Disney first though of putting live animals in jungle cruise, if the imagineer find some way to put live animals in jungle cruise,I WOULD be going on jungle cruise nonstop!)
    Heck I would even be going on Sailing Ship Columbia and mark twain riverboat more rather than skipping those nice attractions if they put some live animals around rivers of America

• Banned User

A horsedrawn carriage is one thing, but, beyond that...I don't need animals at DL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast