Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Do you think the Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough will ever come back?

Quote Originally Posted by chause2000
    Where exactly was this? i know its been gone for awhile and i never got to see it when it existed...... was it upstairs in the castle, downstairs, etc.? and where was the entrance, they must have boarded it upwhen it left
    i don't remember it that much but it was really fun being able to walkthrough the castle. It had dioramas with dolls but not IASW dolls. The only part i really remember is the last scene when sleeping beauty and the prince are dancing and her dress keeps changing from pink to blue. I don't even remember where the entrance is.

I wrote this in August for another board, but thought I'd repost it:

I walked through it around 1:00am on January 1st of this year.... couldn't help it. They left the door open, probably during the confusion of the New Year’s fireworks. I debated for a moment going inside, but there it was, door wide open. And no one around. Honestly, would any of you NOT gone in there? Sad to say...everything is all ripped out....sawdust everywhere...storage for facilities basically. The holes where the dioramas were still there, but no dioramas. Still.....it was so awesome to be back inside the castle. And since December 31st is my birthday, honestly, Disneyland couldn't have given me a better present then accidentally leaving that door open and letting me walkthrough that castle one last time.

Want to know something creepier? The MUSIC was still on. It was strange really... like a bad dream. I was thrilled to be in there, but seeing it destroyed like that, I almost wish I hadn't. But folks, it is gone. And it's not coming back....at least...not how we remember it.

It would be lovely if they rebuilt it with new dioramas, added cameras, and just had one CM watching the cameras. But nah..... I'm sure it's not worth it to them.

Still....there's absolutely nothing like being inside the castle. It was my absolute favorite thing about Disneyland, just WALKING through the original castle, and remembering the story about how, when they first looked around the scaffolding to install the walkthrough, it was swarming with FLEAS and the imagineers were “eaten alive”. Not really as nice to see it now, when, decades later, it’s again back to the state where it’s not a stretch of the imagination to consider that you yourself may eaten alive by fleas as you walk through.

But just thinking about the walkthrough, how I used to hide from my mother in there when it was time to leave the park, the feeling of isolation, the music, the experience……. The castle is loved by so many people around the world. It’s such an icon. And Walt loved the idea of walking around inside it, that’s why he had the walkthrough built. And I miss it….terribly.

And then a response (and my reply):

<<This was a little hidden treasure that most people did not know about, so it always seemed secret and special and so beautiful. Yes, it was "low tech" and cannot compare with those attractions you mentioned, but it was a *diorama*, not a ride. Low cost, low maintenance and safe. I do have found memories of it and I loved going in the castle and pretending. Imagination is a precious thing for a child and leads to creativity.

That something so "lame" and worth "nothing" to some can be so beautiful and special to others, well, I think there's room for a little low tech, imagination inducing attractions for us with "fond memories" and a little extra time to pretend.>>

Exactly....exactly. What a wonderful post. It was an attraction that had you use your 'imagination'. That's they key thing here. It was small. It was unpopular. But it was special, and has one very major thing going for it:

It's the ONLY way to WALK THROUGH the ORIGINAL castle. Yes, the space and design of future magic kingdom castles allowed for great big attractions inside, but ours is the FIRST. It has history. The walkthrough was BUILT BY WALT because he often had requests from people to 'walk inside'. It's a child-like thing. It may not be big to you, but it meant a lot to me growing up, and I'm sure there's not a young kid alive who wouldn't want to 'climb inside' the castle. Regardless if you even looked at or appreciated the dioramas, the big thing here was that you were, in fact, walking through the original castle. It's more then just a 'cascade peak', we're talking about a major feature of the freakin' PARK ICON. The silliness of the whole terrorist thing needs to stop. If something bad is going to happen, it will happen regardless if the walkthrough is open. If a normal everyday guest could wander into the castle when they leave the door open, I'm sure a terrorist could find a way in there should they want to do such an awful thing. That's why they should re-do the castle with cameras, and have a single CM watching them. It's NOT expensive and a small price to pay to have something reopened that is in the hearts and memories of millions of guests.

The boyfriend asked about it at City Hall the other day. It is gone for an indefinite amount of time - i.e. forever. One of the reasons is alot of the space is apparently used for alot of the newer fireworks shows as well.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

I miss it so much also; really wish it could be used for something!
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

It really is a shame that children of today won't be able to experience it. Even as a teenager I thought it was really cool. Well, I guess out with the old and in with the, wait apparently there will be no new.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i think when all this war stuff going on, it will not open, especially with that video coming out that Los Angeles is a target , yes i know DL isnt in L.A, but a lot of people worry that DL is a target also. when this whole thing is over, I hope that they will re open the castle.

well think of it this way

Walt built it because people complained about not being able to walk through the castle right?

how about we all just go and complain about that at city hall alot

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    They have removed some of the scenes and used them elsewhere, this attraction has gone to Yesterland and won't return!
    That is really sad!! It was one of my favorites!! My daughters' too!

• white and nerdy

Perhaps I'm just stupid when it comes to matters of security, but what exactly are the risks to security with the castle? are they afraid that someone is gonna bring in a bomb or something? It doesn't make any sense.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Happy 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Perhaps I'm just stupid when it comes to matters of security, but what exactly are the risks to security with the castle? are they afraid that someone is gonna bring in a bomb or something? It doesn't make any sense.
    That's my question too. I don't see why the walkthrough is a greater risk.

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1
    i think when all this war stuff going on, it will not open, especially with that video coming out that Los Angeles is a target , yes i know DL isnt in L.A, but a lot of people worry that DL is a target also. when this whole thing is over, I hope that they will re open the castle.
    What?
    Something like Space Mountain would be more likely of being a target.

• Shubisha

The risks for security are just that it's a high profile target... I don't think there's a risk of 9/11 happening to it, it's really quite small and would be incredibly hard to pinpoint with a jumbo jet.. maybe a smaller one.

If an attack was made on the LA area the only places that are iconic targets really are that tall narrow building in downtown, the capital records building, and the disneyland castle. On 9/11 they clearly went for a bigger physical impact with the WTC rather than going for something like the statue of liberty which would have been a symbolic target like hitting Disneyland's castle.

• Minion FOREVER!

My daughter and I both loved the Walkthrough. And definitely wish that it can be brought
    back.

I have read that it also harkened back to Walt's original idea for the "Disneylandia"
    concept which actually used dioramas as one of its centerpieces. So not only
    is it a fun thing to be able to walk thru the castle, it also was a homage to one
    of the early concepts for what became Disneyland.

Question on its location: Once you get thru the castle (into where the
    carrousel is, you look left (west),
    there (still) is a wooden doorway next to a stone (concrete) fountain. That was the
    entrace. The Walkthru took you thru steps took you over the castle-entrance and
    down to the other side. The exit is on the right. (east) next to the walkway that
    takes you to the Snow White Grotto.

But I agree that chances of it coming back are slim due to everything that's been
    noted before. BTW. ADA doesn't exactly apply since the Castle structure probably
    isn't going to be modified. But maybe someone who's more familiar w/ ADA can
    clarify this.

My feeling is that if enough people ask, DLR will do something. So if you're going,
    stop by the City Hall and ask.
    Last edited by nish221; 09-28-2005 at 10:32 AM.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    What?
    Something like Space Mountain would be more likely of being a target.
    No, I think the castle is more of a target because it is the main focus of DL, just my opinion as well as others ; )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast