Question Any way to find out crowd ahead of time?

Hello, I am new to this forum, so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did a search and was not able to find the answer.

My family is new Disneyland annual passholders, and we live in the area. We have gone numerous times first thing on Sunday mornings with no problems.

This past weekend we decided to go in the evening. Disneyland was absolutely crazy and completely packed. We got to the park at 4:30 but it took us almost 45 minutes to get from the freeway into the parking lot. We were directed to Buzz Lightyear, then waited almost 30 minutes in the line for the shuttle bus. My wife commented that if we had known we'd be going to Buzz Lightyear to park, we wouldn't have gone. By the time we finally got into the park the kids were very cranky and it ruined the evening.

Is there anyway to know ahead of time what the parking situation and crowds are like? Is there a number we can call to ask?

Thanks!

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Any way to find out crowd ahead of time?

Um, weekends are bad.
    You can ask in the "When will it be busy...?" thread, a sticky one at the top of this forum. We only estimate there, not provide real-time analysis, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

I don't think Disney's going to make a big effort to tell people the park is really busy and you should just go home today. Pretty much like Sed said, if it's a weekend afternoon or evening it will be busy almost always, but the parking situation has been unusually bad recently due to losses of spots throughout the resort and I think some extent to fewer parking CMs being staffed also, though I'm not positive about that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MiceChat Febryle! MiceChat can be a wealth of information, but sometimes there are things beyond our control or things that even we're not sure about!

Generally speaking, basic info can be found here:

When Will it Be Busy at Disneyland - 2009 Edition

But with the early 2fer, the birthday freebies and such, it seems there is really no off season anymore, and not a time when the park isn't busy. I haven't been to the park since January, but apparently the dire economy is not keeping people away from the park.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I suggest: Consult a psychic!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

You can call the park. They often will try to give you an honest answer as to whether the park looks excessively crowded, or just 'normal' (for a weekend, that means heavy crowds)
    If you tell them you have small children, etc. They are usually wise enough to realize that it's better to have you stay home than arrive and be miserable, esp. if you are passholders and it isn't a once in a lifetime thing for you.
    Also realize that you arrived at probably the worst time of day. The people who arrive early are there, the people who arrive late are there, and generally nobody has left yet.

• Rock Star Minion

The new version of sigalert might help. Currently, the speed at the Disney Way offramp is 47mph. Other speeds are in the mid 60's.
    Not sure how this looks on a weekend late afternoon.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Thank you all for your helpful comments. We have had such delightful experiences every other time we go (although we usually get there at opening). I am quickly learning the tricks.