• Gumball Rally Godfather

New Disney D23 boutique plans September Expo in Anaheim

Soooo, Disney has launched a new $75 pay-to-play online boutique called D23 which is planning an Expo in Anaheim on September 10-13, 2009. Here's the dirt:

It's the ultimate Disney fan experience, taking place in Anaheim, California from September 10-13, 2009. This can't-miss event will feature guest speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and so much more! Admission will be discounted for D23 members.
    For those not familiar with D23, here's a little bio from the website:

D23 - Disney's first official community for fans - celebrates the wonder and excitement that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his studio in Hollywood. Through the years, Disney's stories, characters and experiences have captured the imagination of fans everywhere, and now D23 places you in the middle of the magic. Go backstage, behind closed doors, and get the inside scoop, while experiencing the nostalgia, adventure and fantasy of Disney as never before.
    Of course, the one thing that the D23 community doesn't have is a discussion forum... for obvious reasons. There's not enough control in a discussion forum, and that wouldn't sit well with the pixie processors.

I have lots to say about this, but I'd like to here what other folks think. Care to share?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: New Disney D23 boutique plans September Expo in Anaheim

personally i like the idea HOWEVER i already pay over $300 for a annual pass now i need to pay an additional 75 dollars to be a member of the "club" that doesnt seem to be meant for you and me =) (thought that was funny) but seriously make a discount for annual pass holders or something that would be good. IDK though 75 is a lot of money.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Let's try not to talk about the actual D23 club in this thread... this is strictly about the EXPO.

DISNEY'S D23 EXPO COMES TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN SEPTEMBER 2009!
    The ultimate Disney fan experience will connect guests with The Walt Disney Company in exciting new ways, from September 10-13, 2009 at the Anaheim Convention Center just across the street from Disneyland! Guests will enjoy exhibits, screenings, presentations and interactive experiences from every part of The Walt Disney Company. And please stay tuned!... the D23 Expo micro site, coming soon, will give up-to-the-second breaking news about the Expo, including ticket information and online ordering, the latest event information and everything you need to know about the ultimate Disney fan experience!

Highlights of the D23 Expo will include:

Keynote speakers: Some of The Walt Disney Company's most dynamic executives will be on hand to break news, including Disney President and CEO Bob Iger, Walt Disney Pictures Chairman Dick Cook, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo and John Lasseter, chief creative director, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios!

World Premiere Screenings: Get an early look at some of the Company's latest projects.

Performances, Celebrities and a Fashion Show: Musical performances from chart-topping Disney talent will put some bounce in your step! Meanwhile, talent from Walt Disney Pictures films, ABC, Disney Channel, ESPN and more will be on hand for meet-and-greets. Need a little more fun? Disney Couture will debut its new line at a fabulous fashion show.

50 and Fabulous Film Festival: Check out three classic Disney films that all turn 50 this year, including Darby O'Gill and the Little People, The Shaggy Dog and Sleeping Beauty.

Readings, Signing, and Q&As: Check out surprising gallery events, author appearances and signings and even a beautiful Disney Home to walk through.

Film and TV Sneak Peeks: Check out exclusive clips from the latest films from Walt Disney Studios and watch some of ABC's new fall offerings.

Eye-Popping Exhibits: The incredible experiences, exhibits and presentations at the Expo are another way D23 will connect fans to the timeless stories, characters and amazing worlds that we create here at Disney. Guests entering the main showroom floor of the recently renovated Convention Center will discover exciting pavilions from every part of The Walt Disney Company. Each will offer unique immersive experiences the whole family can enjoy. Parks and Resorts, Walt Disney Records, Disney Consumer Products, ABC, ESPN and Walt Disney Imagineering — to name a few — will all be featured. There will be surprising gallery events, author appearances and signings and even a beautiful Disney Home to walk through. Radio Disney will rock the Expo every day, and you can expect favorite Disney talent to make appearances throughout the event. (We hear there may even be a wedding!)

Disney Dream Store: From pins and mouse ears to DVDs and music, there will be must haves for everyone at the largest Disney shopping experience ever created. Even more special, there will be limited edition collectibles on sale exclusively for D23 members.

Fan Forum: Disney's biggest fans are invited to participate in all the action. There will be an entire convention hall for everyone to show off their collections and sell their Disney treasures.

Admission to the D23 Expo will be $37 per person for a one-day ticket; $111 for a four-day pass (4th day free). Admission for D23 members will be $30 per person for a one-day ticket; $90 for a four-day pass (4th day free). Tickets will be available at Disney.com/D23. Remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the entrance to the D23 Expo. Tickets will go on sale this spring. Check the D23 Web site for more information. Members will be alerted the day tickets go on sale.

Stay tuned for more details!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sock Puppet

I signed up for the membership and will plan on being at the Expo.

BTW, there is a HUGE thread on D23 in the Other Disney Offerings forum.

• Banned User

Just wondering....

Does Disney think that hardcore fans care for "chart topping Disney talent"? Because I don't think they do.

Then again, these are the same people who thought Twilight was no threat to Bolt because they had Miley Cyrus' name on the poster.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm jealous of those who get to attend the 1st ever expo. In the future I'll have to plan a trip around this expo.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

It sort of feels like a adjunct to the AP special events for merch and such. With 700k+ APs out there it looks like Disney is trying to go for a more exclusive (smaller, more expensive) subset.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    With 700k+ APs out there it looks like Disney is trying to go for a more exclusive (smaller, more expensive) subset.

I'd be thrilled if they offered a lifetime AP. That should be more exclusive...

I am a charter D23 member, but, sadly live in Colorado and won't be able to make it out for the D23 expo. I really wanna go, but won't be able to.

If any one is going be sure to post pics and a lot of information to show me how awesome it was!
    GREAT BLOG! It has great guides and photos and videos all about Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Walt Disney himself, Disney's films, Pixar, other movies, gadgets, and everything inbetween. Visit now!

• Sock Puppet

^^^^^

I'm sure that when the time comes, there will be PLENTY of "trip reports" about the Expo.

See you there! (well, some of you)

BTW, we'll also be there for the HM Event on 9-9-9.

I think it is going to be an expensive trip!
    Last edited by OldSchoolMickey; 03-13-2009 at 09:08 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Of all the parts of the new D23, this is the part that interests me the most and that I think at this time has the most potential. Even what they have planned so far (according to the website), looks like there are many different things going on, both with keynote speakers and exhibits/events etc, and not just merchandising, although like any convention, that will be part of the party.

I'm thinking that this firsts year will be a "test" of how well it will go over. If the initial year is successful, then I could see the event growing and even more speakers and bells and whistles being added each year.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If you plan on going to the expo all 4 days regardless of your d23 membership, then you can think about if you're saving any money or not. Non-D23 members pay $111. D23 members pay $90. That's $21.

$75 - $21 = $54.

So those who are going to the expo every day and wondering or not the magazines and free gift are worth the $75, you can start thinking about that with a little comfort.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Of all the parts of the new D23, this is the part that interests me the most and that I think at this time has the most potential. Even what they have planned so far (according to the website), looks like there are many different things going on, both with keynote speakers and exhibits/events etc, and not just merchandising, although like any convention, that will be part of the party.

I'm thinking that this firsts year will be a "test" of how well it will go over. If the initial year is successful, then I could see the event growing and even more speakers and bells and whistles being added each year.
    I've been wondering how they'll approach this first Expo. I can see the logic behind the "test" approach you've mentioned. It's certainly more conservative financially.

I admit, though, that I'm hoping they'll take the opposite approach and really make the first year amazing. That would help them sell more D23 memberships, and get even more people to sign up for the next year's Expo. If they are committed to 4 years in Anaheim, I doubt they'd want to start that commitment off with a dud. I wonder how big Disney's budget for this will be? I hope it's huge and they can get good word of mouth. Can they can "steal" some money from the marketing/advertising budget? If this is done right they could get a lot of good press in the West, if not nationally.

Maybe it's all just wishful thinking on my part since I've signed up for D23 and would love to get my money's worth and one way of doing that would be the discount on the Expo. It's been three years since we've been to Disneyland and we already had a June trip planned this year before the Expo was announced. For an extra $60 each (pretty cheap) we can upgrade our Parkhopper to a Deluxe AP and come back in September, if I'm willing to foot the travel and hotel costs a second time--already got my Entertainment Rate HoJo booked just in case . I guess worst case, if we don't enjoy the Expo, we can always go to Disneyland for 3 or 4 days in September I do know this, if this first year isn't amazing I won't incur the costs to come to any of the next three Expos in Anaheim or anywhere else...

As OldSchoolMickey mentioned already, there's a thread in Other Disney Offerings that debates pros and cons of D23 generally if anyone is interested.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I think Dr. G that you and I are pretty much of the same mindset of, Ok Disney... here's my $75 now... dazzle me!

I think Disney is going to have to be very careful in what they do with their first D23 expo. Yes, they will have to provide some pretty spectacular bells and whistles to get us to show up to check out this first one, but if they do to much or make it to big the first time, they won't leave themselves room to grow and improve over time. There's something to be said for giving the people just enough, just a taste, and leave them anticipating more and better the next time.

It already looks like a pretty solid lineup for this September, and I'm sure as it gets closer even more things could be added/changed.

Guess I'd better start saving up for my room at the Annabella now maybe?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Very good points! If the first Expo is too good and it goes downhill from there they would lose a lot of momentum to see D23 go through 4 years+. Yeah, I did basically give them $75 on trust for now--we'll see if it was wise or not. Many times I've been fine with Disney giving me quality--sometimes they haven't. I should probably lower my expectations for this first Expo As they say, the greatest source of unhappiness is unfulfilled expectations.

I struggle with whether or not to do the Expo. I'll likely end up going because I know I'd wish I was there if I stay home and work. However, my first interest is Park-related, followed closely by the Animated Movies and quality animated shorts (basically the old stuff-not the new Disney Channel cheap animation junk) and then music. I'm not interested in celebrities, fashion shows, etc. But, I realize they have to have stuff there to interest everyone. If there's notenough to entertain me with my interests for 3 or 4 days I know Disneyland can

I've never been to one of these big Convention things and it could be good to try it. Not sure if I'll go by myself, so need to see if my wife is interested (happily she's also a huge Disney fan). The more I read these Expo threads or type my thoughts, the more I'm talking myself into going...