Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: is this good to do? A Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour

Sure thing. Yea, no harm in checking - they may simply offer a free "first-timers" tour, though that may not be of interest to you.

Not offering a tour because of a lack of history? Doesn't seem to stop the folks at California Adventure!
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

I loved this tour. My mom and took it this past September in 08. It was the first time that both of us had been in the park. We learned a lot of information.

Like other have said you see inside Club 33. We got to see the tiki room show, and afterwards meet a retired castmember from the show, (a flower), we did the jungle boat ride as well. We learned some things at the wishing well but the castle.

The lunch I thought was good. We got a limited edition Walk in Walt's Footsteps pin as well at the end of the tour.

I would recommend everyone doing this tour at least once.

• He's a Beautiful Pirate..

Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    What is it you get to see at the parks? Based on some recaps it didn't sound like the behind the experience was much beyond what the regular tours get.
    The tour group is actually taken backstage to see different things in both parks that are not offered on normal tours. I don't want to ruin it for anyone by listing here, but if you would like me to give all the details, send me a PM. You also get to go up to Walts Apartment and ride the Lilly Belle after. I have been on alot of Disneyland tours, and none of them take you where you go on the ABD tour.

Heh, when they run it for around $60, I'll be more interested.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I'm a WIWF guide, PM me if you have any questions, but the info already posted here has all been correct so far, so I won't trouble you guys with re-posting the whole thing! I say come take the tour - we work hard to make sure it's a fun way to see the park from Walt's perspective.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    we work hard to make sure it's a fun way to see the park from Walt's perspective.
    Eye-opening or not depending on your Disneyland experience, it was more than clear how knowledgeable and friendly our tour guide was.

ttrocc7007, sorry to read about your unpleasant experience. I certainly hope (and might even expect) that it doesn't happen all to frequently.

• Rock Star Minion

Also note that some of what is revealed is untrue. The game is to find out which parts.

I think we could make a list that, if disclosed to a large group of fans, would impel them to be more accurate.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Some? Care to share any examples...?

Do you have any theories as to why they supposedly do this?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Well, we've caught a few of the Tall Tales in the past, and IIRC the "Colorblind Bulldozer Operator taking out the Green-tag 'Save' trees and leaving the Red-tag 'Remove' trees" story is an invention of Marty Sklar.

Why do they (Disney Corporate) do it? Because they think they can put enough top-spin on the fiction to be more interesting than the truth. They're wrong, of course - everyone knows truth is often stranger than fiction, because it doesn't necessarily have to stay within the bounds of reality.

(Just need to soft pedal the ickier bits of it for the sensitive folks. Might want to stop at the mention that a few people have died in the park, before you get into all the wheres and hows and how long it took to clean it all up afterwards...)

The Guides just do the tour as it was written for them in the Tour script book. They can deviate of course if they know better than the book, it's all being done live - but there can be serious repercussions for not sticking with the Official Guidelines.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Well, we've caught a few of the Tall Tales in the past, and IIRC the "Colorblind Bulldozer Operator taking out the Green-tag 'Save' trees and leaving the Red-tag 'Remove' trees" story is an invention of Marty Sklar.
    Interesting, because this one isn't just on the tour - it's also mentioned in the 50 First Years film, as well as in at least one of Walt Disney's biographies.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

We also used to have the story about the marble figures of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs appearing magically on the studio's doorstep. Turns out that one was a cover story to hide the fact that when we commissioned the pieces from Italy, we forgot to convert centimeters to inches

We're constantly checking our scripts for falsehoods, or (more commonly) stories with no evidence to back them up. I won't say a few haven't slipped through, but we do our best.

And, YES! We have lots of tours other than the WIWF. Welcome to Disneyland is a GREAT deal for guests who are new to our resort. We show yo around the highlights, get you a few bonus Fast Passes, and even set you up with VIP viewing for one of our entertainment offerings (usually you can choose between Aladdin or POD, but obvs. that will change as entertainment offerings change.)

Discover the Magic is a super-fun high energy tour aimed at kids. We play pirate and solve puzzles and find clues and experience several attractions along the way ending with a character experience and a pin.

Cruisin' California Adventure is a tour for 16+: we set up a continental breakfast, teach you to ride a Segway, then take you all over the park before it opens on Segways! You get to see the park with no-one in it, which is really fun, and you get a photo and pin at the end as well.

There are also seasonal tours; Disney's Happiest Haunts at Halloween Time and Holidaytime at Disneyland at ... holiday time!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Bruce answered for me.

The "center of Disneyland" surveyor's spike is another one.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I wonder if there's ever been any serious thought given to offering a more behind-the-scenes tour at Disneyland. I realize the logistical issues involved in this, but anything even something a fraction of the Backstage Magic from WDW would be great. I would think that the serious profit potential and popularity among guests would be hard to ignore.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by clowndiscus View Post
    is this good to go on?
    A Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour
    I've done a few of the tours at DL. The Mrs and I did this for our anniversary one year, and love it. It was a small tour, only 4 people, so the tour guide got to be less formal. One of the thrills was being able to ride the Lilly Belle. My favorite part was getting to see the animatronics of the Tiki Room (this was right before the Tiki Room closed for renovation).

The only let down was the loby of Club 33. Not that the lobby was a let down, it wasn't. Got lots of cool pics in the elevator. But I, of course, wanted to go upstairs, and that was a no-no.

Keep in mind, though, that this is not a "backstage" tour. It's entirely onstage. The price was $60, and we were AP holders, so we got a discount. We went in January, when park attendence was low. It was a great experience, and this was the third tour we've taken. I recommend it.

I did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour in 2004. I didn't get to see the Tiki Room flower because it was under renovation in preparation for the 50th, but they substituted a Jungle Cruise ride during which our guide gave us a history of the attraction. We (only three of us on the tour) got to jump the line and have a boat entirely to ourselves like VIPs, which was a real trip. Our guide even told us to keep our ears open for people in line asking each other, "Who are they? Are they anyone famous?" which of course they did!

Our guide did get a few very poigniant things wrong (i.e., he said Disneyland cost $1 million to build and referred to the old model airplane attraction in Tomorrowland as the "Circle of Death" instead of "Flight Circle"). I already knew roughly 98 percent of the "secrets" revealed on the tour, but there were a couple small (miniscule, really) nuggets of trivia I didn't know.

It was fun to do once, and it came with a nice pin, but I wouldn't spend the money to do it again. The two best things about it were having my picture taken in the lift at Club 33 and dining on cornbread-topped chili and an individual cheesecake on the balcony of what is now the Disney Dream Suite.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast