• Semi-Lurker

Riding a Bike To DLR

With all the MiceChatters who live close to the park, I was wondering if anyone has rode to the park on their bike?

Re: Riding a Bike To DLR

Pedal bike? Or motorcycle?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live in Newport Beach. At less than 20 miles I could theoretically bike to and from the park.

Not that I would do this though. For starters that's quite some distance for me to enjoy the park once I got there. And also I would need to bike through the less desirable areas of Santa Ana and Anaheim to get there. Then on the trip back the last stretch would be going uphill for about 2 or 3 miles.

Even though I'm a local I think I'll stick to my car.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

There are bike racks at the various pedestrian entrances - I've seen them, but since I wasn't looking for them I didn't take notes... Disney should have them on the maps, and in the Resort FAQ's, but they don't.

Bring a good lock - or two if the bike is really nice looking, slow them down. Lock the wheels to the frame, and then the frame to the rack. DO NOT bring a Megabuck titanium frame racing or mountain bike, no sense tempting fate.

(I really doubt they would allow someone to rig a "Sucker Pole" at the resort, but you have to check anyway. Make sure the "secured" rack is really bolted down, and not a street sign that lifts right out of the socket in the ground - unthread the locked bike, plug the empty pole back in the hole, and walk away with the bike to cut the locks at your leisure... )

If you can't find a convenient rack check with Security before just locking the bike to a fence around back - they might not appreciate it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Semi-Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I live in Newport Beach. At less than 20 miles I could theoretically bike to and from the park.

Not that I would do this though. For starters that's quite some distance for me to enjoy the park once I got there. And also I would need to bike through the less desirable areas of Santa Ana and Anaheim to get there. Then on the trip back the last stretch would be going uphill for about 2 or 3 miles.

Even though I'm a local I think I'll stick to my car.
    I live in Huntington so I hear you about the less desirable areas, but when I worked for the Angels I would use the Santa Ana River Trail. It really wasn't that bad. I would probably do the same if I were ever to ride to the park. I did hear about somebody who didn't want to pay to park driving their car to the Target on Harbor Blvd and riding from there.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    I live in Huntington so I hear you about the less desirable areas, but when I worked for the Angels I would use the Santa Ana River Trail. It really wasn't that bad. I would probably do the same if I were ever to ride to the park. I did hear about somebody who didn't want to pay to park driving their car to the Target on Harbor Blvd and riding from there.
    I forgot about the Santa Ana River Trail. That would be much better -- and safer-- than riding a bike all the way up Harbor Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    Not such a good idea - You can probably get away with it in Resort District Anaheim, but try it in Downtown LA (or any other city center) where parking is at a premium and you'll come back to find your car towed. Some stores are rather possessive of their parking places.

If you want to do this, find an unrestricted curb parking spot in a quiet area a few miles away, and bicycle in from there. Just don't have a nice car...

(See "Stepping over a Dollar to save a penny...")

--<< Bruce >>--

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

ride my bike to the park all the time. Its a good ride up serranno/ taft/ ball to the park! And Bruce, I've never had any issues with my bike in Anaheim or the Resort District, especially on Disney property. There's a bike rack in front of ESPN and the Harbor Entance
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I forgot about the Santa Ana River Trail. That would be much better -- and safer-- than riding a bike all the way up Harbor Blvd.
    Util sunset the trail is fine, after that its a whole new world that comes out to play; two of my friends have been robbed and shot between the 5 and 10 mile marks (the Santa Ana portion) of the trail. BTW as the trail moves northeast you are slowly going farther away from DL. Then you'd have to use Katella or Ball to go west toward DL. Both Streets are not exactly bicycle friendly. I would only think of riding to DL if I lived within 3 miles of the park.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Semi-Lurker

Night on the river trail is a definite no no. As far as the surface streets i would probably take Orangewood from the stadium to West/Disney Dr. Your right about Katella or Ball, I wouldn't want to ride them. But I would rather take the trail (in the daytime) than Harbor.

Even though I don't live close to Disneyland, when staying at my folk's house which is about 50 miles away, I do ride my bike and stay the night at the Candy Cane Inn.
    GREAT BLOG! It has great guides and photos and videos all about Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Walt Disney himself, Disney's films, Pixar, other movies, gadgets, and everything inbetween. Visit now!

So glad I live in a city where I don't have to worry about getting shot going for a bike ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce05 View Post
    So glad I live in a city where I don't have to worry about getting shot going for a bike ride!!!
    Hey, it's not bad overall. Every city in the world with a population larger than about fifty has a "Wrong side of the tracks", certain pockets where you don't want to be late at night when the insects crawl out from underneath their rocks. And even small towns have that one family...

But no, going biking after dark down in a river bottom where homeless camp at night and people with nothing better to do hang out (and the police rarely go) isn't the greatest idea.

--<< Bruce >>--

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

i ride my bike frequently. i just lock it up in front of espn zone

Die Vampire, Die!!!