Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Disneyland: Have the new Promos Ruined it for the Regulars?

Disneyland is madly monkeying with all the variables to keep the profits flowing in, and it's making the park consistently more crowded than ever before. The monthly payment AP's, the ticket pricing and multi-day passes, the prepaid Dining Plans, are all conspiring to make the place more crowded.

Then they are shaving the CM labor hours to the minimum to control costs- the lower staffing and closed attractions (legacy problem from both the recent and distant past) increase the problem.

And with the Dining Plan increasing the restaurant traffic, they really could use the capacity of all the now shuttered dining locations (Plaza Pavillion, Tahitian Terrace, Big Thunder BBQ, Carnation Plaza Gardens, Town Square Egg House, etc.) but... they're all closed. That puts more pressure on the remaining locations.

Yes, the Egg House has been gone for years, but it wouldn't be difficult to reopen - they would just have to evict the Shops that took over the space. (The vent hood is still there and intact for the Show Grille, they just put a piece of Plexi in it to hide the exhaust - why else do they need an Ansul fire system [with current tags, no less!] for a cash register?)

Same thing for Plaza Pavillion and Tahitian Terrace - Rebuild the currently gutted Main Kitchen between them and you can easily reopen both dining venues, put the AP Processing Center somewhere else more suited to office work.

And if they bring back Big Thunder BBQ as a strictly Character Dining location with higher pricing to match, it isn't going to help reduce the demands for general dining.

They increase the people coming through the gates and have less places to put the people once they get inside - and think we won't notice?

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Sounds like they're missing an opportunity to sell more meals to the masses.

Solution? Quick, get an ODV cart over to Frontierland. "They'll eat pickles and turkey legs, and they'll LIKE it!"
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Sounds like they're missing an opportunity to sell more meals to the masses.

Solution? Quick, get an ODV cart over to Frontierland. "They'll eat pickles and turkey legs, and they'll LIKE it!"
    That's a solution??? You and I need to sit down and hash out the true definition of a "Solution", guy...

How about over a nice plate of Sausage & Peppers & Penne' at Plaza Pavilion - Oh wait, we can't do that anymore. Okay, how about... Nope, that's gone too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    They increase the people coming through the gates and have less places to put the people once they get inside - and think we won't notice?
    I think they're convinced that the customers won't care enough about the decline of quality to stop coming.

Disneyland management is about jamming the most people possible through the gates, and once inside offering them the cheapest possible service at the highest possible prices.

So far, people are going for it by the millions.

So far.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-16-2009 at 02:09 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Shablagoo!

I say be grateful that you get to go more than once every few years. If it is packed one day you can always go back later. Another way to get the attendance down is to raise the AP prices. Just sayin.

Well my two cents about it are this: these off season days of the past also were in a different economic context than we live in today and which the TDA has to deal with. The park was not open 365 days a year, hours were vastly different, there were less Cast Members involved, the Annual passes were different than today,and there also wasn't an under performing second gate. I am not saying these things to justify the rather brazen over the top marketing ploy of 2fer+Free on your birthday, it just seems to help us understand why such glorious off season days are no longer with us. However as many previously mentioned there are plenty of quiet times during the year, spring break season has just started and whilst its only a week for many students and parents, at Disneyland its an 8 week long period of time. And as someone also earlier posted perhaps the true of intention of Disneyland as an experience is not one of a few hours but of a day, but yes I would say if you deem yourself a "regular" then i guess it has affected your routine. However it is heartening to see the the consant inflow of capital to help fund the future of the Resort, however let us pray and hope we never see the types of crowds in the Pressler Harris days before the opening of DCA....One last and final point, someone mentioned the cutting of labor hours, I have experienced this in my last few visits to the park and am annoyed at having only one or two registers open for a line that is massive, or having one or two parking ticket boots open whilst there is a massive line waiting, I understand its economically logical to cut labor but there comes a point where it is just ridicolous, anyway sorry for the novel....

• Just splashing around...

The overcrowding is something that has really been bothering me the past few months, whether it be because of increased annual pass holders, one-time visitors using one of the promotions, or a combination of both. Regardless of the reason, it is clear that the intention of Disney is to pack the park to capacity, with little regard for the guest experience. This may be a common business practice (what company doesn't want to turn a tidy profit?), but when a company hangs its hat on the notion that they cater to the guest experiece above all else, then fail to deliver, that is when the problems arise. Trying to walk through crowds that rival Bourbon Street at Mardi Gras is not a good guest experience, and because of that, I am seriously considering whether or not to renew my annual pass this year, and I know others who feel the same. And maybe that will solve the problem, some of us will just stop coming, but it's unfortunate that that may be what it takes.

And I wasn't around in the early days of the park, but my understanding from my study of its history is that it has always been a bit of a local hangout, what with the Date Nights and all that sort of thing.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    [Sorry for how snobbish the topic is. I've just been hearing it so often from others I thought I'd bring it up]

Have all these new Promo's have ruined Disneyland for the long time park regulars?
    Um, the long-time park regulars have ruined Disneyland. Please make a note of it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• E T1CK3T

I have no complaints over Disney's promotional campaigns or offers (free admission on your birthday, AP payment plan, etc.). In fact, I think its healthy and a good move on the company's part to gain more profits and keep the parks popular. The only regret I have with them is what others have mentioned earlier, that it is much harder to visit for a few hours. I usually only have one day a week (Sunday) to visit the park because of school and other obligations. Now, however, even my Sundays are taken up by my assistant coaching job on a Pony baseball team. Games are usually on Sunday, and they end at 4 or 5... afterwards for the past few Sundays, I've tried to make it over to the parks for the remaining hours of the day, and have found pandemonium and chaos with the parking situation. I've luckily found a spot in DTD each time, but once I get in, I find all the people that were in the cars now filling up all the parking spaces. I'm glad that more ppl are enjoying the parks, but it makes it very frustrating for people that try to go more often then a tourist or someone that doesn't live near does to even make it into the resort at all. I sometimes debate if I even want to brave the sea of jammed vehicles and crowds of ppl...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    In line with what mousechild earlie said, you can most always find slow periods during any given week. The main thing to consider about an increasing influx of park guests is this means more money for the resort.

Added capital means new attractions, better refurbishments and increased maintainance. It also will translate into lavish qualitative attractions at Disneyland proper and DCA's Phase 1 & 2. Furthermore less we forget, theme park 3 and a waterpark are just down the road as long as the crowds come.
    Absolutely agree with everything you state. But it doesn't stop me from missing the empty times! I sure as heck haven't seen any of those since the free-on-your-birthday promotion and annual pass payment plans started, not to mention the 2-fer. There have been some somewhat less busy times from January to now, but no awesome empty times where you feel as if you have the park to yourself. It's like the 91 freeway now...never NOT a rush hour. But yes, it's great for the bottom line and to make sure that there's enough capital to fund quality even in the economic downturn! So this is great. But selfishly I still miss the empty times.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by mousemom View Post
    It's like the 91 freeway now...never NOT a rush hour.
    Great analogy!

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I say be grateful that you get to go more than once every few years. If it is packed one day you can always go back later. Another way to get the attendance down is to raise the AP prices. Just sayin.
    Indeed.

For anyone who lives close to Disneyland and can go whenever they want for a pittance (the annual pass is ridiculously inexpensive for what it gets you), and is dismayed that they rarely get the park to themselves anymore...I offer sympathetic music played on the world's tiniest violin
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Added capital means new attractions, better refurbishments and increased maintainance. It also will translate into lavish qualitative attractions at Disneyland proper and DCA's Phase 1 & 2.
    Meaning no disrespect to your post, the history of Disneyland since Pressler suggests otherwise. Increased Disneyland income has not resulted in improved attractions, food, entertainment, maintenance and service. Just the opposite: we're about to end the second decade of shuttered attractions, closed restaurants, generic merchandise, less entertainment, bare-bones maintenance and 'way lower investment in employees. With the exception of a bump for the 50th celebration, the quality has been declining by degrees, year after year.

Where does the money go? The stockholders, for one. Executive bonuses for another, like the $27 million paid to Bob Iger in 2007 (although Iger is wisely not taking a bonus this year). Not to mention fixing management screwups like DCA and the monorails.

Fat years or lean, Disneyland management is into squeezing every coin from Walt's golden goose that they can while feeding it as little as possible. The question is, will they kill it?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-16-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123