Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland: Have the new Promos Ruined it for the Regulars?

[Sorry for how snobbish the topic is. I've just been hearing it so often from others I thought I'd bring it up]

Have all these new Promo's have ruined Disneyland for the long time park regulars?

I've spoken with many friends and Disney strangers and it seems like everyone has the save opinion. For Disney regulars, the promos have made the park attendance extremely unpredictable and those quick little Sunday/after-work trips aren't as easy as they used to be. [Edit: After reading Admin comment I removed mention of the "Six Flags crowd" to avoid negativity. The funny thing is I was referring to things like line-cutting and stroller-battering-rams and it had nothing to do with race ]

Don't get me wrong, when we visit the park we try to have the right attitudes and make the best of it.
    Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-14-2009 at 10:10 AM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Disneyland: Have the new Promos Ruined it for the Regulars?

ADMIN NOTE

Just a reminder to all that any temptation to post racist or other discriminatory content on these boards will cause this thread to be closed and/or possible suspension.

I'm sure it wasn't the OP's intent, but this is a very inflammatory topic which will likely end very badly. Let's resist that temptation.

Thank you!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Disneyland: Have the new Promos Ruined it for the Regulars?

Last edited by mousechild; 03-14-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Dusty beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    ADMIN NOTE

Just a reminder to all that any temptation to post racist or other discriminatory content on these boards will cause this thread to be closed and/or possible suspension.

I'm sure it wasn't the OP's intent, but this is a very inflammatory topic which will likely end very badly. Let's resist that temptation.

Thank you!

-Dusty
    You guys lost me.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Wow. Just WOW. If you're hoping to find some folks to commiserate with, you came to the right place. Do try and remember that Disneyland was never intended to be a "locals only" Park... although by the way Disney cater to locals I could see how some folks could be confused.

Also, The Walt Disney Company is a corporation that is driven by profits. They are going to do whatever it takes to keep people coming to Disneyland during this recession. If you're troubled, blame the WDC for luring in so many locals with pay-as-you-go AP's then turning around and offering other promos to bring non-AP's into the Park.

Caveat Emptor - "Let the buyer beware"
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• HauntedOne999

Im am not an AP...YET. But from what I have experienced some regulars have caused some problems.

When I did Guest Control... and there was a safty issue with people blocking a walkway.... "I can stand here! I'm an Annual Passholder!" and they would flash their pass.... FYI - If you flash your AP to get your way...if your name is reported by the CM to the AP office you can have your AP revoked.

I have even had people yell at me and say "I'm a stockholder! and you need to (do this that or the other) otherwise I'll have your job"... just because you own 5 shares in the company doesnt mean you own the park!

but other than those few bad eggs...they are alot of regulars that are really cool.

as for the everyday guest...OMG! "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT! I SPENT ALMOST $1000 FOR MY ENTIRE FAMILY TO GET IN! WHO CARES IF IM BLOCKING THE WALKWAY! I'M GOING TO GET MY MONEYS WORTH HELL OR HIGH WATER!"
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Curiouser and Curiouser

I think this is a very poor attitude. My husband and I became pass holders because of the new monthly payment plan that appears to be a part of the new promotion. If not for that, I would not be able to afford it. It's a given that we'll have $50 in our account each month to be taken out, but it's something else to slam $800 at a time. We're a young couple in our early 20s. I just graduated college and am looking for work in a poor economy, while my husband works hard to provide. We treated ourselves to the passes because, in the long run, we CAN afford a little fun in our lives as long as it we have the monthly payment option.

I don't know what makes someone a "regular," but I've been going to Disneyland 2-4 times a year for the past 22 years. Since getting my pass in January, I've been going several times a week. I'm not a "newbie" to Disneyland, and even if I was, that doesn't make me less of a paying customer. Everyone comes to the park for the same experience and no one is more deserving than the other. If you paid more for special perks, like free parking or discounts because of your AP, then that is what you entitled to -- but you ARE NOT entitled to more of a right to be there than anyone else.

Disney is a company like any other. They need money to survive. If everyone thinks this is somehow unfair, they need to grow up. You should be happy that their promotion is doing well because that means Disneyland is thriving. Unless you want them to struggle financially just to make you feel the tiniest bit more special.
    ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦
    Yana
    ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦

• Senior Minion

I wouldn't say that the new promos ruined the park for regulars, but as you stated it makes those easy going day trips to the park a bit more frustrating at times. Since the promos started I have noticed a lot more people in the parks, and now due to the parking situation the structure isn't a breeze to get through like it used to be.

I got my first AP back in 2006 and did notice that from October to around early March the park would be pretty empty, after that it got way busier and it was a shock to me. Mostly because 2006 was my first visit to DCA and the last time I was at DL that area was still a parking lot. Since then though I haven't seen a time when the park hasn't been hectic and busy, and now with the promos out now I doubt that dead days at the park will exist.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

There is a bit of entitlement in the OP's proposition. It seems as if regular is being defined as local. We visit the park 2-3 times a year for about 4 days at a time. It still isn't too difficult to find the slower times. Our last visit during the 4th anniversary meet is a perfect example, even on Saturday and Sunday the park wasn't that busy and it was pretty empty on Thursday, Friday and Monday. You have to pick your spots but any CM can tell you that the park has been slow the last 4-6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Here's my 2 cents

Funny I havent noticed the line cutting thing. I have had many a time that I was being shoved from behind while in line, I usually stand at the back of my family so I get the abuse. A few times I have invited the shovers to please go ahead of me since they are in such a big hurry and that public humiliation usually calms them down.
    Back on topic, the answer is yes, but my response is "it was fun while it lasted". 20 years ago when I got my first AP I went EVERYDAY after work, we were like "hey this is great the park is hardly crowded!" or "yikes, its a mess!, we're outta here". now it seems to be somewhere in between all the time. I still look forward to every visit and each visit is what it is, oh well. Long live Disneyland!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Artistic integrity

There was a time from around 1987 (first time I got an AP) to about 1991 where I could enjoy the "off season" periods where the crowds were lite. And it was nice. Then Disney officials began the "salute to locals" promotion where the price was nearly cut in half, and those "off season" days were gone for good. As the 90s progressed, so did the number of APs .. as more affordable APs were introduced. And then the 2for1 offer when DCA attendance was not what they were hoping for in 2002.

So, beginning around 1991/92 the park seems to have evolved into a packed place 365 days a year.

Now, APs are offered by paying in installments. So, Disney is just working to pack the park every which way they can. 52 weeks a year!

• Here's my 2 cents

ah.....Tomorrowland1967...another AP Vetran....those were the days, wern't they?

In short, yes, the promo has made it tougher for locals to enjoy a couple hours of no crowds. But, when the regular person hangs out with a group of non-regulars...the crowd problem disappears instantly.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I know that things change, and evolve, over time. But was Disneyland originally designed to be a place where locals would just drop by after work, 3-5 times a week?

A place to stop off for dinner, or now with DCA a drink or two, then maybe a quick spin on Soarin'?

Or grab a few pictures, and get dessert to go?

I am an AP holder. And AP's are unfairly targeted in many ways on this board.

I live about 100 miles away. I come down maybe 5-6 times a year.

If I lived in Anaheim as I once did, I would come maybe once or twice a month.

Those of you who love to come everyday of the year - bless you and to each their own. Not for me!

When you complain that your nightly "happy hour" is being disrupted by promotions designed to bring others into the park...you lose me there, too.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I know that things change, and evolve, over time. But was Disneyland originally designed to be a place where locals would just drop by after work, 3-5 times a week?
    Who knows? but thats the way it is now.

When you complain that your nightly "happy hour" is being disrupted by promotions designed to bring others into the park...you lose me there, too. What post said that? It's all positive from what I've read.

-- Barry
    The original post asks the question "do the promotions affect regulars" the answer is yes. If you go to the park on a regular basis, for whatrever reason, and that's the routine you get used to, then theres a shift in the the way the park is attened by largely "non regular" visitors then the regular viistor is affected, it is what it is. no gripes from me, I can miss the good 'ol days if I want to, right? DL has the right to grow their attendance anyway they want, who am I? I just a passholder that gets into the park any day I want and thats enough for me. If thats my happy hour that bugs you. well, suit yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast