Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Re: What happened to Donald Duck?

This picture was taken Saturday, March 7 in Town Square. Donald is definitely at the parks, but perhaps harder to find.

• Goofy

there he is lol.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    Last Saturday, I saw Donald twice in Town Square. Once, doing the standard meet and greet. And the second time with the Celebration Jazz Band (aka Main St. Strawhatters) as in penguinsoda's photo above. Maybe the CMs who normally are friends with Donald were sick the past few days.
    There are not as many character CMs who work as Donald... the height requirements for the costume are among the shortest in the park, so he may not be out as much as a medium sized character.

He is featured so prominently in the 50 film with Steve Martin (goodbye to that). I didn't like the Donald parts much the first time, but he definitely grew on me. I'm a little surprised he's not more popular, and even more surprised that Daisy has almost NO presence in the park whatsoever... She has no house in toontown or anything. She's also impossible to find as a character because of the height, and having a Donald out is more of a priority than having a Daisy. But I think she's fun because she's very girly and prettier than Donald, so I"m surprised she's not as popular.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Warm Hugging Anna

Last time I saw Donald was in Jan. of this year. But I do agree there is not much with him. He is also one of my favorites as well and I have never seen Daisy at the parks exsept in the Christmas parade. This was the last time I saw Donald over at DCA side.

which was back in 03.

• FastPass n00b

Donald made a fortune in New York real estate and grew a big fluffy haircut, I believe he demands to be called "The Donald" now. He also talks out of a tiny little hole on his face and makes inane comments like "You're fired". It's a tragic story really.

• FastPass n00b

Donald Duck is one of my favorite characters and definitely one of the characters that put Disney on the map, it's an absolute shame that they have ignored him the way they have. It's so funny how he gets mad so easily and how no one can understand anything he says. Without his temper, Donald would be so boring though, I hope they don't change him to fit with the supposedly "changing" times, bleh.

The old Disney used to play to the fact that Mickey was just more popular. The Mickey Mouse Club and that magic show that Mickey put on always showed how Donald wanted more of the spotlight from Mickey. I loved that they always had this tension between them. It wasn't like he was mean spirited either, he was just as lovable as Goofy, it was just his nature to go berserk when things didn't go his way.

It's a sad state of affairs when Woody and Buzz get WAY more exposure than Donald Duck in Disneyland. Even Jesse gets more exposure than Donald and it just shouldn't be that way. Donald entertained kids without fail for 60+ years, you cannot tell me that kids have changed so much that they are different than every single generation for the past 6 or 7 decades. Kids would love Donald, if Disney would only get him out there again.

Back in the early 90's there was a flood of duck stuff: Mighty Ducks, Quack Attack, Quack Pack, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, and more. Surely Donald could be popular once again if they stop shoving Pixar characters in people's faces and start going back to the classics again.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett View Post
    From the Disney web site... Donald Duck made his debut in the Silly Symphony cartoon "The Wise Little Hen" on June 9, 1934.

Since Donald turns 75 this year you'd think Disney marketing would be all over it. They sell every other obscure aniversary, why not the 75th birthday of one of their most iconic characters?

It is ironic, that with so many birthdays that DL COULD be celebrating this year, they choose to virtually ignore ALL that make sense:

They didn't bring back Lincoln in time for his 200th birthday, and then ONLY afterwards, they they say he's coming back later this year, for his 200th.

Matterhorns 50th - definitely one of the biggest icons of DL, also being ignored in it's golden year. Yeah, there is one pin for Matterhorn, Splash and Big Thunder, but that's it. Those anniversaries virtually ignored also. It is really sad that the Matterhorn's 50th is not being recoginized in a larger way. This world's first steel tubular roller coaster, which simulates a bobsled run through Switzerland's most famous mountain. It's possible that this is not only the first, but still the best tubular roller coaster.

Submarines - sure, they were on hiatus for a few years, but they were first introduced to DL 50 years ago. That is certainly worth celebrating.

The Monorail's 50th - yes, the newest monorails are still getting worked over, due to the numerous production and planning foul ups, but DL still has the monorail going for 50 years. That is quite the accomplishment.

Something certainly should be done to celebrate that Big Day back in 1959, when those 3 attractions were introduced.

The only attaction being celebrated is the Haunted Mansion's 40th, with no less than 3 separate special events - there must not be any room to spread the love for those other attractions.

And as you mention Donald's 75th birthday, SHOULD be celebrated in grand style. but is also being ignored. very sad, indeed.

• Now 40% less bitter!

This sounds like a serious issue to me. We need to start a grass roots organization to bring Donald back. In these trying times, people enjoy a little sarcasm and someduck to voice their frustration, no matter how inaudibly. Quick, someone make some t-shirts with his picture and catchy slogans, like: "I'm Donald Duck", "Free the Don" and "Wah-wah-wah-wah!"
    Oo-de-lally!

• Warm Hugging Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It is ironic, that with so many birthdays that DL COULD be celebrating this year, they choose to virtually ignore ALL that make sense:

They didn't bring back Lincoln in time for his 200th birthday, and then ONLY afterwards, they they say he's coming back later this year, for his 200th.

Matterhorns 50th - definitely one of the biggest icons of DL, also being ignored in it's golden year. Yeah, there is one pin for Matterhorn, Splash and Big Thunder, but that's it. Those anniversaries virtually ignored also. It is really sad that the Matterhorn's 50th is not being recoginized in a larger way. This world's first steel tubular roller coaster, which simulates a bobsled run through Switzerland's most famous mountain. It's possible that this is not only the first, but still the best tubular roller coaster.

Submarines - sure, they were on hiatus for a few years, but they were first introduced to DL 50 years ago. That is certainly worth celebrating.

The Monorail's 50th - yes, the newest monorails are still getting worked over, due to the numerous production and planning foul ups, but DL still has the monorail going for 50 years. That is quite the accomplishment.

Something certainly should be done to celebrate that Big Day back in 1959, when those 3 attractions were introduced.

The only attaction being celebrated is the Haunted Mansion's 40th, with no less than 3 separate special events - there must not be any room to spread the love for those other attractions.

And as you mention Donald's 75th birthday, SHOULD be celebrated in grand style. but is also being ignored. very sad, indeed.

Don't forget it is also Princess Aurora's 50th birthday this year to. They really haven't done to much for her. Yes her castle is back open and there was some pins but they did a little bit more for Snow White's 70th birthday then with Aurora or even with Pinocchio with his 70th.

• Sock Puppet

Donald was on Main St both yesterday and today in the AM.

I'm not a stalker, so I didn't follow him around the rest of the day...

• Warm Hugging Anna

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    I'm not a stalker, so I didn't follow him around the rest of the day...

Sure!! That's what they all say.

• Hello

Cool Re: What happened to Donald Duck?

You know, now that you mention him missing, I think he really is. That's kind of odd.

We were there from Feb5-13, and Donald Duck was out and about doing meet and greets almost everyday on Main Street. We checked with City Hall (because we missed him the last few visits) and during that time, he was out every 1.5 hours.

I was surprised to see how 'short' he was

• ...TWO BITS!

Check with the CM at the Information Board for character appearances. Maybe even City Hall and Guest Relations, I'm not sure.

You can also check with them to see when the Disneyland band and other Main Street streetmosphere (sp) comes out. Chip n Dale and Cruella deVil are usually with the Firehouse band. Last time I checked, Mickey and Donald played with the strawhatters.

I would also suspect the Celebrate Parade involve quite a few characters.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-18-2009 at 09:45 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Brand new CM!

I remember going to Disneyland as a kid and always finding Donald Duck merchandise for me to get my hands on but now every time i go I'm disappointed that i can't hand over my money for new Duck Stuff! I'm the type of person to jump on almost anything Donald Duck now because it's such a hard thing to find. Even when it comes to pins! I have to go on Ebay to find pins with my little duck on them.

As far as seeing him in the park, i always try to find him but have only succeeded about five times on the many times i've gone since October. DCA director Donald? Forget it, i've never seen him! Which is a real bummer because i don't have a picture with him as a director!
    I Donald Duck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast