Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Special Agent

Jolly Trolly = Red Car

The last time I was in Toontown I noticed that they had the Jolly Trolly out for photos and it suddenly hit me.

Supposedly they closed the Jolly Trolly years ago because it was a nightmare to operate through the crowds of Toontown with guests and children running everywhere. If that was such a problem for a land in the back of a park, how do they expect to run a red car trolly down the middle of the street at the entrance to a park?

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Jolly Trolly = Red Car

I'm glad you brought this up, because it tickled the back of my brain at one point.

I think there really is no excuse to not run the Jolly Trolley the way it was meant to, and opening the red car over in the other park will make that even more obvious. There are guests and children running around everywhere in the parks, not just Toontown.

The Main Street vehicles - including a horse-drawn street car with tracks in the street - do just fine despite the thousands of guests who walk down the street on the road part instead of the sidewalks. They just ring their bells and honk their horns until the guests get out of the way. That's how the red car will work as it goes down Buena Vista Street and the Backlot streets.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 03-14-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Senior Minion

Are you positive that was the reason that the trolley was closed? It may have been but I've heard other reasons. If all the mainstreet vehicles are ok I don't see why it would be a problem.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

The small space in toontown is not comparable to Buena vista street.

Part of the problem also with Jolly Trolley was that it took over the main walkway in the land. The land is very kid friendly and people tend to let their children run loose in that area. Its not the same on mainstreet because people are a bit more cautious about loosing their kids there. Toontown has one way in and one way out.

Another problem came about when fastpass was introduced. Roger rabbit attraction received fastpass with little consideration to what would happen to the queue. The merge point for fastpass and standby line was placed right at the beginning of the queue. This forced the standby line to be formed outside of the attraction which then wrapped aorund the east circle and plaza area of toontown. That area was used for the trolly. When the attraction was busy the queue would form thru the east end of the land and then down thru the entrance and out towards the train bridge.
    meanwhile the elaborate inside queue was mostly empty with people running thru it to the loading area.

This outside queue caused jolly trolley to be unperational.

The new red line cars will run on the street area of the plaza and down the middle of Hollywood picture backlot. All that area from the entrance and along the plaza as well as Hollywood area will have sidewalks as well as plenty wide walking area.

People will just have to move when they hear the bell of the trolley just like they move when they hear the horn and bells from the Disneyland mainstreet vehicles.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up, because it tickled the back of my brain at one point.

I think there really is no excuse to not run the Jolly Trolley the way it was meant to, and opening the red car over in the other park will make that even more obvious.

The Main Street vehicles - including a horse-drawn street car with tracks in the street - do just fine despite the thousands of guests who walk down the street on the road part instead of the sidewalks. They just ring their bells and honk their horns until the guests get out of the way. That's how the red car will work as it goes down Buena Vista Street and the Backlot streets.
    You betcha. I was just about to mention that the main street vehicles have managed just fine for over 50 years ..minus a little horse manure here and there. Watch your step.

The Jolly Trolly's removal was during the Eisnerd, Pressler, Harris error. that pretty much speaks for itself. I agree with you 2DieFR that the Trolly should be put back into operation and made Jolly once again.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

This made me curious, does anyone know how many Red Cars they are having built and how many will operate at one time?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    This made me curious, does anyone know how many Red Cars they are having built and how many will operate at one time?
    Haven't the slightest. I figure that if somebody goes to john Lasseter's private hospitality event at the Food & Wine Festival, perhaps he'll get tipsy enough to pry this to make those lips start talkin'.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The Jolly Trolly's removal was during the Eisnerd, Pressler, Harris error. that pretty much speaks for itself. I agree with you 2DieFR that the Trolly should be put back into operation and made Jolly once again.
    Well I bring this up because I just heard that they are closing their Jolly Trolly in Tokyo due to the same concerns over guest safety. I doubt Eisner has much say over what happens in Tokyo.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Well I bring this up because I just heard that they are closing their Jolly Trolly in Tokyo due to the same concerns over guest safety. I doubt Eisner has much say over what happens in Tokyo.
    The driving force behind the Tokyo Jolly Trolly removal might be one of Eisner's leftover cronies ..possibly Pressnaka or Harrismoto.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I believe two are in the works.

If the concept artwork is any indication, one will be a wooden version resembling a "Ten," and the other will be a foreshortened version looking a lot like a "Hollywood" car.

Contrary to speculation here and elsewhere, they are indeed planning to operate the trolleys as God and Sprague intended them to be: via electrified overhead wire and trolley pole.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The driving force behind the Tokyo Jolly Trolly removal might be one of Eisner's leftover cronies ..possibly Pressnaka or Harrismoto.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

I am really interested to see this one in action as they will have a tight fit between the overhead cabe and the Monorail.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Contrary to speculation here and elsewhere, they are indeed planning to operate the trolleys as God and Sprague intended them to be: via electrified overhead wire and trolley pole.
    Very, very cool! Can't wait to see these in operation!
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Banned User

But if I recall,the Jolly Trolley moved back and forth and wasnt a traditional trolley. I think its the rocking back and forth that made it more of a issue with Disney,not the fact that its a trolley going down the street.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Tokyo Disneyland's ToonTown, while in a relatively different location between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, still has the same logistical concerns that Baloo mentioned about Disneyland. The design of ToonTown is not a street, but more a courtyard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast