Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Defending three underrated dark rides

There might be a few people complain about Pineochio. Never heard any large coordinated group calling for the rides demise. Personally, it's an enchanting little adventure ..and the music is merry as can be. Love the romp hope it remains always.

Snow White is pretty much dominated by the evil queen. A number of people have displayed their dismay over that. Still, few if any have called for a revamp ..or for the ride to be closed that I know of.

As Kritter said, there's not much of an ending. That's cool. though. They all don't have to be perfect and lengthy e-tickets to be enjoyable. This attraction adds to the variety of offerings at the park.

Pooh? I enjoy the ride and it's wonderful soundtrack enough to rnever miss it each and every trip. Most of us, I feel, just want it to be as high caliber as the one at Tokyo ..a trackless system, more detailed scenes, a tiggerific hop along scene, animatronics, etc.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• You looking at me?

Thumbs up Re: Defending three underrated dark rides

I agree that all three do seem to get a bad rap, though I personally like them all.

The setting and atmosphere in Snow White is old school, haunted house at it's best. Very creepy and spooky throughout. DYK the holographic apple the witch is holding used to be real -- but guests kept stealing it! That's why they replaced it with the hologram.

Pinocchio is my second favorite FL (Fantasy Land, not Florida) attraction -- after Peter Pan, of course. The effects, while dated, are clever (turning into the donkey, the 3-D bar brawl, etc.) and the whole of the attraction just screams Walt Disney. And how could you not love it when Monstro comes to get ya?

I can see where many of you see Pooh as a "stranger in a strange land". But seriously; anything that replaces the Country Bears is aces in my book - don't get me started. The black light and vivid colors are eye-catching and the unintentionally hilarious "honey shot" near the end cracks me up every time. My one gripe would be that the infrastructure, like Small World, is not very well camoflagued (sic) and the lights, poles and supports sticking out kinda kill the illusion. But I do like the fact that the lines are rarely long which makes it a nice little distractionary ride to kill some time.

So there's my 2 cents.
    "Nemo! Get to Nemo!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
    I agree that all three do seem to get a bad rap, though I personally like them all.

The setting and atmosphere in Snow White is old school, haunted house at it's best. Very creepy and spooky throughout. DYK the holographic apple the witch is holding used to be real -- but guests kept stealing it! That's why they replaced it with the hologram.

Pinocchio is my second favorite FL (Fantasy Land, not Florida) attraction -- after Peter Pan, of course. The effects, while dated, are clever (turning into the donkey, the 3-D bar brawl, etc.) and the whole of the attraction just screams Walt Disney. And how could you not love it when Monstro comes to get ya?

I can see where many of you see Pooh as a "stranger in a strange land". But seriously; anything that replaces the Country Bears is aces in my book - don't get me started. The black light and vivid colors are eye-catching and the unintentionally hilarious "honey shot" near the end cracks me up every time. My one gripe would be that the infrastructure, like Small World, is not very well camoflagued (sic) and the lights, poles and supports sticking out kinda kill the illusion. But I do like the fact that the lines are rarely long which makes it a nice little distractionary ride to kill some time.

So there's my 2 cents.
    the witch's new apple is not a hologram, its a mirror magic technique, the turning into a donkey on pinocchio is a hologram, do you know how that one works by the way? lol

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I'm generally not a big Fantasyland-style dark ride guy, but that's slowly changing.

I think Pinocchio is absolutely underrated. I'm always surprised when people find it significantly worse than the competition. Lots on interesting effects, a good story without feeling spoon-fed, reasonably long, great exterior theming, etc. And it fits with its neighbors in terms of feel, despite having been built decades later.

Pooh, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but I think it gets exactly as much praise as it deserves. Large sets without much in 'em, lack of verticality, the hard plastic feel of the figures, uninteresting effects, and the confusion of having multiple Pooh stories thrown together helter-skelter are among the reasons it doesn't appeal to me, and I think others feel the same way.

Snow White doesn't seem to get such a bad rap. People are just put off by the abrupt ending, which I can understand. I like that it's scarier than the others - heck, it's Disneyland's original haunted house ride! And the ending amuses me more than it annoys me.

Still, give me Pirates or HM anyday.

I pretty much agree with this completely. I don't ride SW often, but despite the fact that there are some little things that aren't perfect about it I'm always suprised how I have a better time on it than I expected to have. I like Pinocchio, and do think it is underrated. I also agree with everything Data said about Pooh. It's just really poorly done, and I got off completely confused about what the story was and why they would make a pooh ride like that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    There might be a few people complain about Pineochio. Never heard any large coordinated group calling for the rides demise. Personally, it's an enchanting little adventure ..and the music is merry as can be. Love the romp hope it remains always.

Snow White is pretty much dominated by the evil queen. A number of people have displayed their dismay over that. Still, few if any have called for a revamp ..or for the ride to be closed that I know of.

As Kritter said, there's not much of an ending. That's cool. though. They all don't have to be perfect and lengthy e-tickets to be enjoyable. This attraction adds to the variety of offerings at the park.

Pooh? I enjoy the ride and it's wonderful soundtrack enough to rnever miss it each and every trip. Most of us, I feel, just want it to be as high caliber as the one at Tokyo ..a trackless system, more detailed scenes, a tiggerific hop along scene, animatronics, etc.
    haha, me and my friends always joke about SW, Remember the Simpsons episode where Homer gets to be the new Dog character on the "itchy and Scratchy" show whose popularity flips and they end up getting rid of the character just by showing a random paper on the screen that says something like "Poochie was killed while flying to his home planet" we say thats how the SW ending is! haha

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You know what's REALLY funny about this thread and the three attractions... these are the three dark rides of Disneyland I ride most frequently... because they tend to have the shortest waits.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Ok, it's not that funny.

But I really like Snow White's abrupt ending personally because it's so awkward and abrupt, it makes me laugh. It's got that old fashioned charm to it. Nostalgia? not so much. It's just funny to me and it doesn't get old.

Pinocchio is well done but I don't think it's as strong as it could be. Maybe it'd help if Jiminy Cricket didn't look horrified in every scene. I like it though.

Winnie the Pooh... well... where do I begin. i ride not because I like to, but because I've had a large dinner and needed to go. And by Winnie the Pooh, I mean Gomer's Gentleman's Lair.

The ride while not horrible, it's just a missed opportunity like many additions to the Disneyland Resort after 1995. Tokyo and Florida came first and though Florida didn't get the awesome E-Ticket technology either, their Pooh has a more cohesive storyline. More scenes, more characters.. a better structure entirely. Disneyland just has three rooms. It's sunny then blustery all at once. Florida at least separates them.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Imo...pooh wasn't excuated right..I don't know..but in my eyes..it's just blah...snow white and pinnochio on the other hand..are rides that awesome..I think people should appericaite them more cause they rides that can only be found in a special place like Disneyland. If they were to redo Pooh, I would give it a second chance.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I'm generally not a big Fantasyland-style dark ride guy, but that's slowly changing.
    Glad to hear that, Data. Imo the Fantasyland dark rides are the true essence of Disneyland and should never be replaced.

In my 40 years of going to DL I have never heard, aside from Pooh and this thread, that these rides should be removed.

• AW THERE U R.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

So there's my 2 cents.

Way to be from Wa!

Anyways, I agree about the sets. Heres the problem with my baby. Because of your guys' feedback and how disney listens, our ride never gets any work done. ever. We have to beg the maintence to fix lights, props, etc. It just really sucks. Thats why if some people, including AP's and CM's, that it's not that bad of a ride. And if we had more of a line, I think CM's would be okay with it and so would you!! It's just one big huge circle.

• I'm not really here

I'm with Coheteboy on this one... I ride these most frequently myself

Pinocchio has some of the most amazing effects as has been said, and really captures the mood and feel of the movie so very well.

I don't like Pooh as much, and mainly for the reasons that Data spelled out so very well. I ride it every time because there are some great moments and really good effects in there, but overall, the attraction is significantly weaker than its Fantasyland brothers.

Snow White is my favorite out of all the dark rides. It is downright creepy in a lot of places and I love really letting myself get caught up in the emotion and "fear" of certain scenes.

As for the abrupt ending to the ride, here's the reason:

Pre 1983, the main characters did not exist in any of these attractions because YOU, the rider, were meant to be Peter Pan or Snow White, etc. So imagine the ride as if you were Snow White. You eat the apple, you pass out and don't remember anything until you are awakened by the kiss of your true love. With the 1983 remodel of Fantasyland and the increase in size for some of the attractions, there was room to tell some more of the stories, but not enough to really and properly finish up the ending to Snow White, so they left it. It was one of those sacrifices that has to be made. If you look at it from the point of view of the main characters, a lot of the Fantasyland rides make even more sense.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

several of my college aged friends believe that the Scary Adventures of Snow White is the SCARIEST ride they have ever been on. haha It's always so fun to ride with them as they scream through the ENTIRE RIDE!
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Just splashing around...

I have never understood the argument that Pooh and his friends don't belong in Critter Country. Yes, they are stuffed animals that come to life through story telling, but aren't the characters of Song of the South basically the same? They are animated figments of a story teller's imagination.

I love all three of the discussed rides and have no desire to see any of them go away any time soon.

• A Weather Eye Open

I personally like all 3 of these and would not replace them to remove them. However, I definitely understand people's beef with Winnie the Pooh, as it's not exactly better than what it replaced. In an ideal situation, I'd like to see the Country Bear Jamboree revived somewhere without removing Pooh (maybe in DCA, as there is no room in Critter Country).
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• nº 103

I like all three. I'm kinda disappointed that Pooh is incredibly weak compared to Tokyo's, but I still like the ride regardless.

• Mischievous Mouse

I like all these rides. I'm not sure if they are underrated or not.

I do think these rides are primarily targeted to those not opining here; the toddlers. I know from watching, that the kids love these rides.

In an ever increasing push toward appeasing the older crowds with more challenging and complex rides, the simpler ones are increasingly winning me over for their more universal appeal.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast