Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Defending three underrated dark rides

This is my first post, and i think it might actually produce some great feedback! haha.

Alright, its quite obvious that three dark rides are, for the most part, disliked by many of good folks.

The three being

Pinocchio's daring Journey
    The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    and
    Snow Whites Scary Adventures!

i dont not understand why so many here are in favor for replacing these attractions! Firstly..
    PDJ (my favorite ride actually...)has some really great effects. The beginning in the puppet theater is so neat, and the change of mood once you enter Strombolli's cage is so fast, its scary! Pleasure Island might be loud, but the loudness really adds to the chaotic atmosphere! its PLEASURE ISLAND! Lets not forget the awesome Lampwick transformation scene either, really great way to sell a effect .

Whats wrong with Pooh? Yea, ok, it has no moving AA's but, that can be fixed, imagine Pooh with the moving AA's how amazing of a ride it would be? It might come we never know.

Snow White gets trashed for its ending, i dont really see a problem with the ending, i think it works well given the small amount of space they had to work with in the show building.

So my main point is, why are these rides generally looked at as the "hopefully removed" rides?

• in the Golden Afternoon

Re: Defending three underrated dark rides

I love the Adventures of Winnie The Pooh. i think it is way underrated.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Pinocchio's Daring Journey is well-done. I love the entrance before Pleasure Island with all the LEDs.

My biggest beef with all the story related dark rides is Snow White. Here's why:

The ride focuses too much on the negative side of the story. I understand that it's a "scary" adventure, but does it really have to be? You're in a happy moment for 20 seconds and then a whole other minute and a half in a dark forest being stalked by an old hag (I don't know the exact length of the ride, btw). I mean, the forest scene is longer in the ride than the movie! I hate the fact that the "ending" is a mural on a wall. This is the one ride in Fantasyland that I think needs a face lift and even with the limited amount of space, it can be pulled off.

As for Winnie The Pooh, I think it gets it's negative reviews because it didn't adopt the same technology as Tokyo's version, which is trackless. I do like the ride, but yet again, they could've done so much better.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I have never seen or heard about Pinocchio or Snow White being removed. Yeah the ending to Snow White is abrupt, but can't do much about it. Yeah it can be redone and possibly better.

Pooh just needs to be better. I love it, but I just wish it was long and made more sense.

I love the brightness of it.

and I have never heard anything wrong about Pinocchio

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I have never seen or heard about Pinocchio or Snow White being removed. Yeah the ending to Snow White is abrupt, but can't do much about it. Yeah it can be redone and possibly better.

Pooh just needs to be better. I love it, but I just wish it was long and made more sense.

I love the brightness of it.

and I have never heard anything wrong about Pinocchio
    you have never heard anything wrong with it, because IMO there is nothing wrong with it!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey is well-done. I love the entrance before Pleasure Island with all the LEDs.

My biggest beef with all the story related dark rides is Snow White. Here's why:

The ride focuses too much on the negative side of the story. I understand that it's a "scary" adventure, but does it really have to be? You're in a happy moment for 20 seconds and then a whole other minute and a half in a dark forest being stalked by an old hag (I don't know the exact length of the ride, btw). I mean, the forest scene is longer in the ride than the movie! I hate the fact that the "ending" is a mural on a wall. This is the one ride in Fantasyland that I think needs a face lift and even with the limited amount of space, it can be pulled off.

As for Winnie The Pooh, I think it gets it's negative reviews because it didn't adopt the same technology as Tokyo's version, which is trackless. I do like the ride, but yet again, they could've done so much better.
    Absoulutely! the LED lights was the first thing that made me awe in that ride!

and for a weird reason, i find the most scariest part in the snow white ride to be the cottage room with the singing dwarves, idk why. lol

All 3 of these rides are visual masterpieces and I love them. I would agree with you that these rides are underrated. Their generally looked at as "hopefully removed" rides as these rides are generally for children but both Pinocchio and Snow White are too scary for little kids which it is geared for and numerous people believe that a new idea for these rides would be a good idea. Winnie the Pooh is placed in the wrong place in my opinion as it's right beside Splash Mountain. I know that Disney placed it there since it's a great ride for the kids who can't ride Splash, but families with lots of kids won't make the long walk for just one ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfanatic View Post
    All 3 of these rides are visual masterpieces and I love them. I would agree with you that these rides are underrated. Their generally looked at as "hopefully removed" rides as these rides are generally for children but both Pinocchio and Snow White are too scary for little kids which it is geared for and numerous people believe that a new idea for these rides would be a good idea. Winnie the Pooh is placed in the wrong place in my opinion as it's right beside Splash Mountain. I know that Disney placed it there since it's a great ride for the kids who can't ride Splash, but families with lots of kids won't make the long walk for just one ride.
    I always thought that they were scary, but not too scary, little kids have their parents next to them anyways when they ride!
    i think Pooh is a nice fit where it is at, but i think it can fit in Fantasyland, kinda by small world near the smoking area

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Winnie The Pooh was originally supposed to be opened with New Fantasyland in the 80's, but of course, wasn't. I can see where the ride doesn't fit into Critter Country. Stuffed animals aren't really critters, they're children's toys. But I guess I can say that with CBJ also. Bears aren't critters...?

It's scary in their eyes, I know as I remember riding it as a child. I think kids expect rides like Peter Pan where you get to see the happy parts of the story, not the ones about the villians. Also, I think that adding the first scene with Snow White was an awful idea as it gives a false impression. You start off with a happy scene with all the dwarfs singing then into the forest with trees that look like they are from the Haunted Mansion. Don't get me wrong, I still love the ride because of the visual aspects but this is what I believe people think Snow White should go. This is also why there's no lines for this ride anymore. People have read from guides and heard from friends who've been there with their kids. Such a shame.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfanatic View Post
    It's scary in their eyes, I know as I remember riding it as a child. I think kids expect rides like Peter Pan where you get to see the happy parts of the story, not the ones about the villians. Also, I think that adding the first scene with Snow White was an awful idea as it gives a false impression. You start off with a happy scene with all the dwarfs singing then into the forest with trees that look like they are from the Haunted Mansion. Don't get me wrong, I still love the ride because of the visual aspects but this is what I believe people think Snow White should go. This is also why there's no lines for this ride anymore. People have read from guides and heard from friends who've been there with their kids. Such a shame.
    Are you sure? i have seen the line be pretty extended, having all rows in the building filled, almost reaching the pinocchio line, it usually has a good, but manageable line

• =)

I'll preface this by saying I'm generally not a big Fantasyland-style dark ride guy, but that's slowly changing.

I think Pinocchio is absolutely underrated. I'm always surprised when people find it significantly worse than the competition. Lots on interesting effects, a good story without feeling spoon-fed, reasonably long, great exterior theming, etc. And it fits with its neighbors in terms of feel, despite having been built decades later.

Pooh, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but I think it gets exactly as much praise as it deserves. Large sets without much in 'em, lack of verticality, the hard plastic feel of the figures, uninteresting effects, and the confusion of having multiple Pooh stories thrown together helter-skelter are among the reasons it doesn't appeal to me, and I think others feel the same way.

Snow White doesn't seem to get such a bad rap. People are just put off by the abrupt ending, which I can understand. I like that it's scarier than the others - heck, it's Disneyland's original haunted house ride! And the ending amuses me more than it annoys me.

Still, give me Pirates or HM anyday.

I think most people's gripe with Pooh is that it came at the expense of getting the Bears kicked out. It also seems a bit out of place in Critter Country being that he's a teddy bear. Other than that it's actually a pretty good dark ride.

My complaint with Snow White is just about like everyone else's, the ending is just too abrupt.

It's like the dark ride version of one those

"Plan Ah
    e
    a
    d" signs where things just stop because you have run out of room.

No complaints on Pinocchio, thats a good one too.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I haven't seen all that much Snow White bashing...I love that it is a straightforward spookhouse myself, with skeletons, witches, evil trees, things popping out at you....it's a good one, and definitely not underrated by me.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I'm generally not a big Fantasyland-style dark ride guy, but that's slowly changing.

I think Pinocchio is absolutely underrated. I'm always surprised when people find it significantly worse than the competition. Lots on interesting effects, a good story without feeling spoon-fed, reasonably long, great exterior theming, etc. And it fits with its neighbors in terms of feel, despite having been built decades later.

Pooh, on the other hand...I'm sorry, but I think it gets exactly as much praise as it deserves. Large sets without much in 'em, lack of verticality, the hard plastic feel of the figures, uninteresting effects, and the confusion of having multiple Pooh stories thrown together helter-skelter are among the reasons it doesn't appeal to me, and I think others feel the same way.

Snow White doesn't seem to get such a bad rap. People are just put off by the abrupt ending, which I can understand. I like that it's scarier than the others - heck, it's Disneyland's original haunted house ride! And the ending amuses me more than it annoys me.

Still, give me Pirates or HM anyday.
    Just think about the a spiced up Pooh would have, that ride has a lot of room and its just a half completed picture..ahh the possibilities!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast