Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Pinocchios Daring Journey Lampwick Hologram.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    \It can't be a hologram. This is a Fantasyland Dark Ride. If they had the use of holograms, They'd probably rather use it in the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Tower of Terror, etc.
    Just because its a Fantasyland dark ride does not make it ineligible for a hologram. Dont be so close minded.

• We Go On.

^I'm not closed minded, I'm practical.

• Fancy that...

Ummm guys? It's a hologram. Pinocchio was added in during the 80's refurb, so it does make sense. It's just an old school one...the kind that's just put onto a flat surface, it's not technologicly advanced.

• Banned User

Cool Re: Pinocchios Daring Journey Lampwick Hologram.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    ^I'm not closed minded, I'm practical.
    Im sure you are.

• Banned User

Ride Warrior and WDITrent...

I think you guys might be missing the point. The effect in question is NOT the entire character, it is just the mirror he is holding. The mirror has a hologram of HUMAN Lampy, and as he turns around his face reveals that he is now a Jack ***, and we see his ears grow as well (by way of AA effects)

So we have a combination of a hologram in the mirror, and a finished AA character that are both expertly choreographed to achieve a GREAT illusion and astound us all!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Should I do the "I was right dance" now? Or would that seem impolite?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Should I do the "I was right dance" now? Or would that seem impolite?
    Go ahead make a "jackass" out of yourself! (that was said as a pun for Pinocchio.)

You may though. because Rescuers Down Under is a awesome movie mate!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyFigaro View Post
    Go ahead make a "jackass" out of yourself! (that was said as a pun for Pinocchio.)

You may though. because Rescuers Down Under is a awesome movie mate!
    *Makes Jackass of self*

I haven't Seen Rescuers Down Under in ages... Must hunt down a copy.

LOL! In Germany it was called "Bernard und Bianca im Känguruland"
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Pilot EdForceOne

does he ears actually grow? or is it just the angle you approach him at that you can't see the ears to start with?

honestly I never looked that close at this scene till this thread.. its such a short element.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

I believe the ears are forced perspective.

It is a hologram in the mirror, and his physical ears mechanically extend as he turns.

That's it.

• =)

This is cracking me up. My job is usually to go around telling people that what they think is a hologram is actually not. But it is my pleasure to tell you all today that this is indeed a hologram. Disney-fan-reborn and the others are correct. And as I've mentioned before, this is the only hologram that's part of the "show" at Disneyland, at least to my knowledge.

Holograms are three-dimensional images that are produced by a very careful process involving the splitting of a laser beam and the recording of how it hits the object from two different directions. I don't totally understand why it works, but it does. The result is an image embedded in a sheet of material that, when lit properly, appears truly three-dimensional. If you move your head back and forth, you can see around the corners of the object. It's all there. If you've got a credit card on you right now, take it out. There's a good chance there's a small hologram on it.

The thing is, holograms usually don't move much, and their colors are difficult to control, and they can't be projected, and they're difficult to create, and the material they're presented on is usually reflective. In the case of Lampwick, it's not an issue - in fact, it was the only way they could do it. Pepper's Ghost would NOT have worked for this effect. But the hologram allows a spookily-colored donkey head [EDIT: sorry, switched the two] to float "behind" the mirror. It's one of the few cases at Disneyland in which holograms are not only practical...but they're the best way to do it.

And yes, I DEFINITELY would have replied to this yesterday, except I was somewhere else. I'm sure none of you could guess where.
    Last edited by Datameister; 03-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    This is cracking me up. My job is usually to go around telling people that what they think is a hologram is actually not. But it is my pleasure to tell you all today that this is indeed a hologram. Disney-fan-reborn and the others are correct. And as I've mentioned before, this is the only hologram that's part of the "show" at Disneyland, at least to my knowledge.

Holograms are three-dimensional images that are produced by a very careful process involving the splitting of a laser beam and the recording of how it hits the object from two different directions. I don't totally understand why it works, but it does. The result is an image embedded in a sheet of material that, when lit properly, appears truly three-dimensional. If you move your head back and forth, you can see around the corners of the object. It's all there. If you've got a credit card on you right now, take it out. There's a good chance there's a small hologram on it.

The thing is, holograms usually don't move much, and their colors are difficult to control, and they can't be projected, and they're difficult to create, and the material they're presented on is usually reflective. In the case of Lampwick, it's not an issue - in fact, it was the only way they could do it. Pepper's Ghost would NOT have worked for this effect. But the hologram allows a spookily-colored donkey head to float "behind" the mirror. It's one of the few cases at Disneyland in which holograms are not only practical...but they're the best way to do it.

And yes, I DEFINITELY would have replied to this yesterday, except I was somewhere else. I'm sure none of you could guess where.
    Wait i thought a human lampwick face was behind the mirror?

I know where you were, you went to...Knotts Berry Farm! traitor! :P

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    does he ears actually grow? or is it just the angle you approach him at that you can't see the ears to start with?

honestly I never looked that close at this scene till this thread.. its such a short element.
    The ears actually grow, its a shame its such a short element because that whole scene is amazing!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    *Makes Jackass of self*

I haven't Seen Rescuers Down Under in ages... Must hunt down a copy.

LOL! In Germany it was called "Bernard und Bianca im Känguruland"
    its funny because after i saw your avatar, i watched my copy! Whoa that German name is intense!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast