Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Pinocchios Daring Journey Lampwick Hologram.

For people like me, who like to know how the tricks are done, can somebody explain how they do the Hologram in the Lampwick transformation scene?

...please?
    Last edited by FeistyFigaro; 03-17-2009 at 12:06 AM.

• Halloween 2011

Re: Pinocchios Daring Journey Lampwick Hologram.

Its a pretty safe bet that it isn't a hologram but yet another application of the Pepper's Ghost illusion used around the park. Most famous is the Ballroom scene in the Haunted Mansion, but its also used for the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

Essentially, there is a pane of glass at a 45 degree angle between the viewer and the scene. If lighted on both sides, a transparent reflection can be seen in the glass. Turn off either light and the image appears solid. You've probably noticed the same thing at your home when catching your reflection in a window.

• I'm not really here

It is also used in Monsters Inc when Randall disappears as well as in Pooh when he floats off to the Heffalumps and Woozles dream scene.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Its a pretty safe bet that it isn't a hologram but yet another application of the Pepper's Ghost illusion used around the park. Most famous is the Ballroom scene in the Haunted Mansion, but its also used for the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

Essentially, there is a pane of glass at a 45 degree angle between the viewer and the scene. If lighted on both sides, a transparent reflection can be seen in the glass. Turn off either light and the image appears solid. You've probably noticed the same thing at your home when catching your reflection in a window.
    i really would not consider Lampwick a pepper ghost illusion, and im pretty sure there is no glass between the viewer and the lampwick scene

• Banned User

They DON'T use holograms for special effects ANYWHERE in Disneyland!

Holograms:
    1. don't move.
    2. have a green or silver hue to them
    3. MUST be viewed at the correct angle to be in focus and visible
    4. look like holograms!

The Lampwick effect is most definitely a Pepper's effect or a video projection. Either way, there IS a pane of glass there somewhere.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I believe its just a picture in the mirror he is holding, and you see from behind Lampwick's ears extend. When he turns around you can see the donkey tranformation. A lot along the lines of the witch in Snow white when she turns around.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyFigaro View Post
    For people like me, who like to know how the tricks are done, can somebody explain how they do the Hologram in the Lampwick transformation scene?

...please?
    I haven't been on Pinoccio's Journey since the '90s I think.. long time anyway, so I may be remembering this incorrectly (If someone can provide a link to a video of the effect I can probably confirm my vague memory)...

If I remember correctly you only see the back of Lampwick's head and what you actually see is the reflection of his face in the mirror? If you understand how holograms work (the old 1970's style ones that Disney probably used here) you'll know that depending on your viewing angle a different picture can be seen (look at the security hologram on your Visa card it's the same thing).

By writing the frames of an animation to each progressive angle of a hologram you can form an animation as the view moves past the hologram.

Now this is IF this is an actual hologram and not just a back projection in the mirror. Several sources across the 'net say it's an actual hologram but offer no sources or backup.

Video about how laser holograms are made:
    YouTube - How it's made: Holograms
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    They DON'T use holograms for special effects ANYWHERE in Disneyland!
    This may well be true.

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    Holograms:
    1. don't move.
    This is false. All holograms "move" they can either show you various angles of an object, giving the illusion of 3D OR can show a series of frames of an animation. Either way they are animations.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    All holograms "move" they can either show you various angles of an object, giving the illusion of 3D OR can show a series of frames of an animation. Either way they are animations.
    Holograms do not move. A hologram is a static image, just like a photograph, etched into a solid surface by interference between a laser beam that has been split and shifted out of phase with its other half. Things like the holograms on a Visa card or whatnot are a series of still images, just like animation. The holograms themselves do not move at all, but when viewed in rapid succession appear to.

Dynamic holography is being researched for use in optical drives and data compression, but is not the same kind of holography that produces large-scale visible images.

In Pinocchio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqh9D4_yaKU

At 1:33 in, we see the effect. There is a very clear light shinning on Lampwick's face from the opposite side as us, illuminating his face. You can see the light shinning on his ears. This light fades quickly as the character turns to face us. You can see the lighting change on various parts of the character as it turns. The image in the mirror appears to be projected from somewhere. I'm going to have to pay much more attention to this scene next time I'm there, possibly ride a few times in a row. It appears that a light and a narrowly focused projector are providing this effect. Another thing I notice is that Lampwick's mouth is open and pointing right at the mirror, yet as soon as he rotates, his mouth disappears behind the mirror. Could this be the source of the projection and light?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Fleeting Inspiration

What I remember from 2007 is that the mirror has a hologram of the human Lampwick (it looks green and has a 3D appearance like most holograms), but as he turns you see he's has a donkey face and long ears pop out of his head. No peppers ghosts or projections, just simple misdirection and a mechanical effect.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Calling Datameister! Datameister, you're needed in this thread!

He has made the point in the past that this is the only instance of a hologram being used in the parks. I don't know all the technical mumbo-jumbo, but he can fill us in, I'm sure. And, BTW, the image you see is green.

I think it is just an old school hologram that is in the mirror frame.

A year or so ago when they made the upgrades to Alice in Wonderland that there was a rumor that all the Fantasyland Dark Rides would get some upgrades. I wounder if and when this might happen. So new lighting and video effects with some figure upgrades would be awesome.

Interestingly, this photo from the ride in Japan shows Lampwick with out a mirror: poolroom01 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Anaheim Born & Raised

Lampwick is not a "Pepper's Ghost" projection.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    I think it is just an old school hologram that is in the mirror frame.
    I'm pretty sure after doing a lot more looking at ride through videos and whatever images I can find online that you are right. There is simply a hologram placed in the mirror frame and a light is shone on it. Just where this illuminating light is I'm not sure yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast