Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading Disneyland tickets?

Hi folks,

Got a question here as I try to save some money. When traveling to WDW earlier this year, I was able to apply my 3-day ticket and upgrade to a 6-day ticket, paying only the difference. They applied the retail value of my 3-day pass, NOT the amount I paid for it, to the 6-day pass, and I was able to save a lot of green.

I'm wondering if Disneyland does the same thing. I want to upgrade a 2-day pass to a 3-day. I took a look on the web-o-tubes and the information was vague, saying that you could apply the value of your ticket for an upgrade - but it's not clear whether it's the face (i.e. discounted) value or the gate value.

The point is, I want to make sure I'm able to keep my discount. If I'm forced to pay the entire difference from the discounted price to the full gate price, it's completely useless. I want to make sure the amount applied to the upgrade is the full value of the ticket, despite the fact I got it at a discount. This worked just fine at WDW and I'm hoping it applies to DL as well.

Any confirmation/information is appreciated!
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Re: Upgrading Disneyland tickets?

I also would like to know where you upgrade? Can you do it at the bank or does it have to be done at the ticket booth?

Thanks
    Foolish Mortal

At WDW, we upgraded right at the hotel check-in, though we would have been able to upgrade at any ticket booth. I'm assuming at Disneyland the same is true (though we're not staying at a Disney hotel in Anaheim).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bank". What bank?

• Haunted Mansion Lover

There is a "Disneyland" Bank on Mainstreet where you purchase Annual Passes.
    Foolish Mortal

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    At WDW, we upgraded right at the hotel check-in, though we would have been able to upgrade at any ticket booth. I'm assuming at Disneyland the same is true (though we're not staying at a Disney hotel in Anaheim).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the bank". What bank?
    The Bank on Main Street is currently for getting your AP photo card taken and printed.

You can upgrade at any ticket booths, and I believe you can also upgrade at Guest Services, which is to the far left before you go through the gates.

If you can buy your 3 day parkhopped somewhere else discounted (like a travel agent or AAA? I don't know), and then took that to be upgraded, I'm sure you wouldn't have to pay the difference, because how would they know how much you paid for it?
    I don't really know much about ticket discounts though. Disney always has full price on their stuff, and I've always just bought straight from them at the booths.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Oh, right, that bank. Never had an AP so didn't realize that's what the bank was for.

Yea, ticket booths and Guest Services for sure - and perhaps also the hotel lobbies for guests.

I can only guess what Disney may or may not know about how much I paid for my discounted tickets. Actually, if I remember correctly, the discounted ticket had the price I paid right on it (I get them from where I work). But at WDW they didn't care what I paid, and considered it a full-value ticket, so the only extra costs was the difference in their gate prices. I ended up saving around $100 a ticket for WDW, and if this works out at DL, we're talking almost $40 a pop.

• That's a lot of look.

sarki7, the CMs at the ticket booth will scan your ticket to see how much you paid for it. You will have to pay the difference between that and the price for the ticket you want. The discount is not applied to the price of the new ticket.

Ok, so then you're saying the policy is different at Disneyland than at WDW?

That's too bad, I wonder why that would be.

Last year my we got 5 day park hoppers for the price of a three day, then upgraded to premium annual passes. We paid the diffrence from a 5 day not the 3 day we purchased.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    sarki7, the CMs at the ticket booth will scan your ticket to see how much you paid for it. You will have to pay the difference between that and the price for the ticket you want. The discount is not applied to the price of the new ticket.
    I believe missmonkey is correct. Here is why I say that. We stayed the DLH on a package that included 5 day hoppers. We decided we would upgrade to APs that time and use the hoppers to discount the price. When they scanned our tickets to apply it to the cost of the APs they were only valued at $50-$75 each. I asked why and was told that that is the value Disney applies to tickets for hotel guests. So I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) but if you buy discounted tickets then the price you paid is what is applied to any upgrade.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Wow, I'm getting both answers here. No wonder I wasn't able to get a clear picture from my internet search.

DLandFansAZ - I wonder if your case is different because you purchased your tickets as part of a package as a hotel guest.

All Ears, thanks - I hope that's the case with me too.

• DLR Cast Member

Ok.. here we go again. Since this is my department, let me answer this one.

Depending on the price you paid for your 2 day hoppers, you would pay the difference to a 3 day. IF you get a nice CM, and you go to GUEST SERVICES, ask them if you can get the ONLINE price for the 3 day ticket. This means right now, it's the Adult for kid price of $149 for a 3 day ticket. I am not sure how much you paid for your ticket, but on most tickets, there is a price in the lower right hand corner of the ticket. That is the "value" of your ticket. If there is no price listed, we can scan the barcode on the ticket and tell you what that ticket is worth.

Most CM's at the ticket booth will NOT give you the online price or don't know how, which is why I say go to Guest Services. The Gate price for a 3 day hopper is $199.

• Pilot EdForceOne

pattimelt,

Your comment about the online price, etc is about the price of the ticket he is trying to upgrade to right?

But what about the 'value' of the ticket he is upgrading. Its not clear from your response, will you go based on the value of the ticket (as printed on the ticket) or do you know/use the price he may have paid for it (if different from what is on the ticket). I guess the situation that is most likely is it's a discounted ticket that is EQUIVALENT to a higher priced ticket, but the value is the discounted price paid.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Happiest Girl On Earth

You can also upgrade your tickets at City Hall or the Guest Relations Lobby.

The price of the upgrade will be the difference between what you paid originally for your ticket (be it a AAA, travel company, or online offera, etc) and what the ticket booth price is for the new ticket.

Oftentimes, it can be a very, very expensive upgrade

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    pattimelt,

Your comment about the online price, etc is about the price of the ticket he is trying to upgrade to right?

But what about the 'value' of the ticket he is upgrading. Its not clear from your response, will you go based on the value of the ticket (as printed on the ticket) or do you know/use the price he may have paid for it (if different from what is on the ticket). I guess the situation that is most likely is it's a discounted ticket that is EQUIVALENT to a higher priced ticket, but the value is the discounted price paid.
    We go by the price that is printed on the ticket in the lower right hand corner. IF there is no price listed, or if it's a plastic card, we will scan the ticket and the computer will tell us the ticket's "value", and we go by that. We cannot give you what you paid for the ticket, if the cost was more--only what the system says the ticket is worth.

Example: person A gets discount tickets, but the website they get the tickets from adds a "service charge" on top of the ticket price. Disneyland would give you the cost of the ticket towards a pass, but not the full price you paid for the ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast