Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Duke Igthorn was framed..

Angry DCA construction and early closing - what have I gotten myself into?

My family and I are long time Disney fans and planning to spend the week of March 29-April 4 at the Disneyland Hotel. I have to admit I felt pretty let down to see Spring Break hours that week set to 10pm closing at Disneyland (versus 12 midnight for the same time period 2 years ago) and I was blown away by the volume of construction currently under way in DCA. The bay is drained, the ferris wheel inoperable, bathrooms under construction, etc... Can someone who's visited DCA in the past couple of days weigh in on how obvious all the construction is?

I appreciate Disney's drive towards improving their parks but I feel like I'm paying full price for a partially operational DCA and reduced park hours. Am I off-base here? I thought Spring Break was maximum hours and available attractions.

Your thoughts are welcome - thanks for your time!

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Re: DCA construction and early closing - what have I gotten myself into?

Welcome to MiceChat!

As for your question on how noticeable the construction work is ... well, if you count a huge drained lake as noticeable, than very! But in reality, the pictures do make it look worse than it actually is, and most of the construction is confined to Paradise Pier. You won't be bothered with hardly any visible signs of it (for now) at the main entry, Grizzly, Flik's, or Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

And in reality, the Sun Wheel is the only attraction that is down at this point ... you aren't missing much more than the average visitor misses at Disneyland when one or two attractions are down for refurb.

DCA has been a half-day park to begin with; it's no less than that right now.

Go, enjoy, and have fun!

• =)

Visited DCA yesterday, and I wasn't annoyed in the slightest. (Well, I wasn't annoyed above my baseline of DCA annoyance... ) This construction has to happen. It's better than closing the park altogether while they make the improvements, and it's WAY better than not addressing the park's serious issues at all. Naturally, the ideal would be for them to have done the park right from the get-go, but they can't do anything about that now.

• Artistic integrity

Your bathroom access by Golden Dreams will not be hindered.
    When the new facilities open .. just across the way .. THEN those bathrooms close.

Access to get around Paradise Pier is fine. It's not so hindered ... that it makes it difficult.

Attractions? Golden Dreams, the carousel, Sunwheel are currently down. A few more insignificant attractions are due to close soon. SS Rustworthy, Jumpin Jelly Fish, Orange Stinger, .. and maybe the Zephyr.

I don't think anyone is going to miss these attractions so bad. LOL

The REAL .. significant attractions that matter are ALL open.

• Yearning for Disneyland

You know, I had the same concerns when I went a few weeks ago...I hadn't been to DLR since last May and I wasn't sure I wanted to see DCA ripped open. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. You're not bothered by the construction unless you're right in Paradise Pier, and even then it's not bothersome...it's fun to look into the pier and see all the work going on for the new show.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    and maybe the Zephyr.
    zephyr is good as a chance to take photos of the lagoon, plus fun since you do go over the lagoon some. if it can be open during the lagoon show, imagine how it would be then.

It reminds me of the skyway some

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGummi View Post
    My family and I are long time Disney fans and planning to spend the week of March 29-April 4 at the Disneyland Hotel. I have to admit I felt pretty let down to see Spring Break hours that week set to 10pm closing at Disneyland (versus 12 midnight for the same time period 2 years ago) and I was blown away by the volume of construction currently under way in DCA. The bay is drained, the ferris wheel inoperable, bathrooms under construction, etc... Can someone who's visited DCA in the past couple of days weigh in on how obvious all the construction is?

I appreciate Disney's drive towards improving their parks but I feel like I'm paying full price for a partially operational DCA and reduced park hours. Am I off-base here? I thought Spring Break was maximum hours and available attractions.

Your thoughts are welcome - thanks for your time!
    You should not go. that's what I think.

Another thought: if Disneyland is busier than TDA has planned (that's how they determine the closing hour), they will adjust the closing time. They've done it in the past. They've added an additional Fantasmic! on the day of the show when it was necessary.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Artistic integrity

In fact ... I go to DCA to see the area being ripped up! Put's a nice big smile on my face.

Out of Treebeard's mouth: "The filth of Sauramon is washing away."

I look at so much been ripped up .. torn up ... shredded apart ..... and I think - "The filth of Eisner, Pressler, and Braverman is washing away!"

I get chills .. looking at DCA 1.0 vanish .. bit by bit!

• =)

And seeing the bottom of the lagoon is interesting anyway. I kinda enjoyed that. Not like Paradise Pier has been particularly pretty in the past anyway...

aw i feel you mate.. yeah you can enjoy yourself on another ride or another place on DCA..
    just do what you think...

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    And seeing the bottom of the lagoon is interesting anyway. I kinda enjoyed that. Not like Paradise Pier has been particularly pretty in the past anyway...
    Exactly ...
    as one big 'empty' boring body of water from 2001 to 2008....
    It's actually nice to look down in there right now ...
    and see how World of Color is shaping up.

To me, that's an "attraction" in of itself.

• failure for lunch

You may never have a chance to witness a theme park be re-done to this magnitude again.
    That in itself is an attraction worth visiting.

Lately, I'm at DCA more than Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    You may never have a chance to witness a theme park be re-done to this magnitude again.
    That in itself is an attraction worth visiting.

Lately, I'm at DCA more than Disneyland.
    I'm very much with you on that one!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

I head to DCA first right now too. Lately seeing the construction is my first priority and definitely an attraction in and of itself. To the OP, the others are right, it's very noticeable, but really not that bad of an impact on whether or not you can have a good time. Everything of significance is open and you just have to look at some walls and a concrete hole.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Duke Igthorn was framed..

Wink Re: DCA construction and early closing - what have I gotten myself into?

Thanks for the insight - it appears that...

1. Some folks don't like DCA in its current state so improvements are worth the pain.
    2. An empty lake is better than a filled lake :-)
    3. Disneyland might stay open later if it feels it should.

I equated Spring Break to be the peak season - the time to put the huge "sorry we're improving" plywood barriers away, fill the lake back up and put on a good show for those of us who drop $10k for six of us to spend a week at DLH (air/hotel/park/food/etc) while we're packed in like sardines. If I visited in October and saw the castle with scaffolding on it I wouldn't be so upset.

Here's to hoping the new Celebration Parade (and Pixie Hollow for my daughters) rocks! Thanks for the feedback all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast