Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• I love my family!

New spotlights Main Street roof?

Was at the park the other day and noticed this light rig on the roof near the fireworks control panel.

Anyone know what it's for?

Re: New spotlights Main Street roof?

It's been up there for a long time. It has cousins all around the area. They are Syncrolites whose primary responsibility is lighting up Tinkerbell.

• The Tomorrowland One

Yup, that is one of the really big and powerful UV (ie, Blacklight) Spotlights that follow Tink as she flies around. I think it just drops down when not in use so that it is hidden behind the facade.

• C4C6C

My God...that is so out of theme......is everyone going crazy?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    If you think that looks good in any way, shape or form--then you are far crazier than most.

• Minion

Actually, the fact that it drops down out of sight when not in use, is a very very good thing, otherwise, it WOULD be a problem.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    If you think that looks good in any way, shape or form--then you are far crazier than most.
    This photo is taken "looking back" at the lights. During the normal use of this light, people are facing the other way and the light is never seen.

"Looking back" on any attraction at Disneyland provides glimpses of a HUGE number of out of theme things. There are security cameras galore on BTMRR, but they are all behind you, looking out through ragged edged holes cut straight into the rocks.

On Pirates, looking back shows they basket of eggs to be hollow and contain a light instead of eggs.

On Jungle cruise, looking back exposes the crate bobbing in the water to be yet another camera hiding spot.

Now, why the light was up so early I can't say. They may have been testing it or working out some sort of mechanical glitch. In which case an allowance needs to be made to the theme so that they can keep things running. I mean, if we're going to get that nitpicky about theme, the lightbulbs along the facades are incredibly out of theme. By about 7 decades.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think they mounted it up there to drive YOU crazy Steve

It looks sucky, you're right.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post

LOL!

Maybe that is why during our morning swim in the Neverland Pool earlier, we saw what appeared to be a large group of internet fans forming near the Sierra Tower.

They were passing out torches and pitchforks and were talking about heading over to the Park!

Yikes!

LOL

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I mean, if we're going to get that nitpicky about theme, the lightbulbs along the facades are incredibly out of theme. By about 7 decades.
    Are you quite sure, mycroft? When exactly do you think the light bulb was invented, and how early do you think it was before those light bulbs began outlining buildings?

Louisiana Purchase Exposition. 1904.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-19-2009 at 10:13 AM.

• I'm not really here

Are you quite sure, mycroft?

Louisiana Purchase Exposition. 1904.
    Yes actually... quite sure
    You misinterpreted what I was saying Steve. I'm not talking about whether they have light bulbs or not, which of course they did considering they were made commercially viable in 1878 by Edison (and yes I know that without having to look it up anywhere). I'm talking about the actual light bulbs themselves. At the turn of the century, bulbs were designed completely differently than they are now. The glass bulb was, in many cases an actual sphere with a thin stem at the bottom, or they were an elongated spheroid, but not the standard shape we have today. Another difference was the actual filament. Early on, the loops were significantly larger than they are in modern bulbs where the filaments are very tightly wound and coiled to increase surface area and therefore light output. More often than not, the filament consisted of a single strand that went up the height of the bulb, curved over and came back down to the base. These early bulbs looked nothing like and behaved nothing like our modern bulbs. Modern bulbs received these changes in order to increase not only the efficiency of the bulb itself, but to increase its lifespan as well as the efficiency of production methods.

Of course, this is nitpicking taken to a ridiculous extreme

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Yes actually... quite sure
    You misinterpreted what I was saying Steve. I'm not talking about whether they have light bulbs or not, which of course they did considering they were made commercially viable in 1878 by Edison (and yes I know that without having to look it up anywhere). I'm talking about the actual light bulbs themselves. At the turn of the century, bulbs were designed completely differently than they are now. The glass bulb was, in many cases an actual sphere with a thin stem at the bottom, or they were an elongated spheroid, but not the standard shape we have today. Another difference was the actual filament. Early on, the loops were significantly larger than they are in modern bulbs where the filaments are very tightly wound and coiled to increase surface area and therefore light output. More often than not, the filament consisted of a single strand that went up the height of the bulb, curved over and came back down to the base. These early bulbs looked nothing like and behaved nothing like our modern bulbs. Modern bulbs received these changes in order to increase not only the efficiency of the bulb itself, but to increase its lifespan as well as the efficiency of production methods.

Of course, this is nitpicking taken to a ridiculous extreme
    Of course, the basics--the idea of a filament; the glass casing; the vacuum---Were those features not the very same features in use today?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney also uses the roof of the Photo Supply Co. as a place to film segments, such as having one of the View members do a stand-up piece, that places the Castle in the Background, and keeps the guests from crowding up to say hi to Barbara Walters, etc.

A private area with a great backdrop. It is used all the time, and with all the current Cal-OSHA safety laws, you would have to have a railing to make sure nobody falls.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Closed Account

I didn't even want to touch the railing, but since the door's been opened...

Would it have been that difficult to create a period-correct wrought-iron railing?

• I'm not really here

Of course, the basics--the idea of a filament; the glass casing; the vacuum---Were those features not the very same features in use today?
    You are missing the point here Steve... the entire point of my post is that Disneyland is a stage. A stage for a show. A show that provides for a fantastical escape. It is fantasy, not reality. The theme simply can not be 100% 100% of the time because if it were, it would cease to be a theme park and become reality. This would defeat the purpose of Disneyland. For this reason, when you "look behind" you can see things that are out of theme. Syncrolites... cameras, pinlights, etc. This is one of those cases. My light bulb thing was an example of how we can take things way to far sometimes. Yes, filaments, and glass bulbs and bases are all things they have in common, but a modern light bulb is incredibly out of theme for a turn of the century Main Street. They distract from the theme, they pull you out of it because they are modern... do you see how that is a rather ridiculous arguement?

The comment that the person made about "oh my that is so out of theme, is everyone going crazy" was completely tongue in cheek. They do not think it looks good there, but they realize that Disneyland is a stage, and from time to time, there will be maintenance, or things that don't go exactly according to plan. That light no more fits the theme than the bulbs on the facade of each and every one of those buildings. And that's my point. We make allowances so that the fantasy that is Disneyland can proceed. Some thematic allowances are simply intolerable. Others, like light bulbs, we rarely even think of as a thematic intrusion. Disneyland has had fireworks and parades since the very beginning, and as such, has always had these sorts of intrusions on Main Street, but they are part of what makes Disneyland what it is. Walt wasn't trying to make a real turn of the century main street... he was idealizing it and encapsulating the notion and romance of it so that anyone could recognize it for what it was and be taken, mentally, to that place. There are several security cameras disguised into the molding along the fronts of the Main Street buildings yet no one ever complains about how out of theme they are either. The flag is wrong for the time period... there are quite literally hundreds of thematic problems that we could find and nitpick. But we don't. We make allowances. Disney has done a great job preserving the theme by having all the lighting retractable so that it is not up during the day.

My whole point was that for whatever reason, the light was elevated during the day time. This rarely happens as it is used for the nighttime fireworks. Are we really going to pick the heck out of it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast