Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Smile How many times does mattherhorn break down?

or needs to be repaired?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from the magical land, and I noticed that matterhorn wasn't working until twoish and there was a major line from both sides. I just found this odd because people were waiting and the ride was closed. Just curious that's all.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: How many times does mattherhorn break down?

I don't think the Matterhorn breaks down all that often, maybe someone lost something on the ride?
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

um I don't think so..it was closed for a while and the lines..they were huge..even for a thursday..I would've think management would've said something to the people who were waiting in line.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Collision speed....FULL!

It gets shut down every year for a annual refurb because of it's age-- 50 years old (this June). Not an efficient ride in my book, hopefully it'll get rebuilt to the caliber of the Space Mountain rebuild in the future.

• Hooterville, USA

4 times but I might be wrong.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    um I don't think so..it was closed for a while and the lines..they were huge..even for a thursday..I would've think management would've said something to the people who were waiting in line.
    Last time i was there it broke down. we did not know that it had broken down because the line kept moving. They did not tell us for about 30 min, but by that time they said it would only take 10 more min to fix, so we stayed.

• Banned User

its certainly not a rare event ill tell you that much.

• U. B. Bold

Not always a breakdown. It's a pretty simple machine really: chain pulls you up, gravity brings you down. Some fool stands up on the ride or tries to grab Harold and it goes 101.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyFigaro View Post
    its certainly not a rare event ill tell you that much.

Yeah, we just finished up a week long trip at the Resort tonight and practically EVERY E-Ticket was shutdown at least once per day.

BTMRR
    POTC
    Space Mtn
    Splash Mtn
    Matterhorn
    Screamin'
    Soarin'

And heck, even the Autopia was a walk-off yesterday!

The guy here on MC that is trying to schedule every single minute of his one day honeymoon trip to the Resort in June is spending an ton of energy and time on his plan and I hate to say it, but with rides being rides, there is a huge possibility that at least a few of the rides that he wants to go on will be shutdown for a period of time that day.

You just can't count on a shutdown free day for every ride. It's the nature of the beast...

• Done waiting!!

It closes fairly frequently mostly because of the bobsleds cascading due to either slow loading CMs or slow guests getting their butts in and out. Most days that I go I'm not surprised to see it closed once or twice to be reset. Space Mountain has a similar problem but it doesn't seem to go 101 quite as often.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: How many times does mattherhorn break down?

Most shut downs actually mean it is working properly. They happen if the sensors and computers think there's a safety issue, like the reasons stated by goofypirate. I certainly hope they wouldn't do it for a lost item, unless it's a critical medication or something. And, yes, I know what it's like to lose something on a ride (1 pair glasses, 1 hat, car keys-twice-on the same ride-that one's hard to admit).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Off to Neverland

it tends to break down like every time i get in line!
    Last time I just waited, especially since they weren't caring about us sitting on the railings. It's usually a 15-30 min breakdown.
    I find it typical...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Yeah, we just finished up a week long trip at the Resort tonight and practically EVERY E-Ticket was shutdown at least once per day.

BTMRR
    POTC
    Space Mtn
    Splash Mtn
    Matterhorn
    Screamin'
    Soarin'

And heck, even the Autopia was a walk-off yesterday!

The guy here on MC that is trying to schedule every single minute of his one day honeymoon trip to the Resort in June is spending an ton of energy and time on his plan and I hate to say it, but with rides being rides, there is a huge possibility that at least a few of the rides that he wants to go on will be shutdown for a period of time that day.

You just can't count on a shutdown free day for every ride. It's the nature of the beast...
    I know who you are talking about. Forgive him, he is a tourist....>

Yeah as previously mentioned it really does depend on whether someone was doing something unsafe or if backing the attraction up causes the ride to cascade. Interesting thing last Saturday I was on the Matterhorn and they had backed up so they staged our bobsled with my group of four in it, we were on the Fantasyland side and we were pulled to the side bobsled and all, for the next five minutes those Matterhorn CM's were MANUALLY pushing the bobsleds because once they back up I guess the LIMs, the magnets that move the bobsleds forward, stop working, so for five minutes these CMs were pushing bobsleds which are heaving with up to eight people or more in them,all to prevent the ride from breaking down because of the back up...after they cleared it up we were added back to the regular track and got to reride!, so that was great. Moral of the story is....move QUICKLY and SAFELY in and out of all ride vehichles, if we all did that, most breakdowns would be averted!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    or needs to be repaired?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from the magical land, and I noticed that matterhorn wasn't working until twoish and there was a major line from both sides. I just found this odd because people were waiting and the ride was closed. Just curious that's all.
    You want to know how frequently it breaks down? I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it's less than once a day.
    In this case, without knowing any more than what you wrote, I'm guessing there was a "cascade" issue -- cars too close to each other on the tracks, causing the safety monitor (computer or manual) to shut down the ride, walk guests off, restart the ride (get the cars spaced safely). Doesn't take too long, I think. Maybe 20-30 minutes.
    A lot of guests will leave the line, the persistent ones get rewarded. Also, if you've "invested" enough time in the line, you might not want to have it go to waste.
    A couple of weeks ago, it was closed the whole day (week?) for maintenance. A few empty cars were seen rolling on the tracks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast