Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

• Banned User

Re: Mark VII Monorails Information/Tracker Thread

So, when's red back online? and since Disneyland now has the mark VII's is WDW going to get a new fleet? Or is there no need for a new fleet?

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    So, when's red back online? and since Disneyland now has the mark VII's is WDW going to get a new fleet? Or is there no need for a new fleet?
    Monorail Red is supposedly getting a big overhaul and it's unkown if it'll be back up by the end of the year.

I would suspect that WDW Resort is soon due for new fleet of monorails. WDW of course hasn't announced a new fleet yet but they will eventually.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    When I was there in mid-June both monorails were running regardless of the weather, and it got pretty hot during the day (somewhere in the mid-80's). Methinks the air circulation problem has been addressed at least somewhat.
    Yesterday, orange and blue were running in the morning, but by mid afternoon blue had been taken off the beamway.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

FYI, both Orange and Blue have 1/2 windows now. Red is supposedly getting the new ones installed while its on its refurb, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Dreaming of Disney...

So what ever happened with them not being able to have half windows because of safety??

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    FYI, both Orange and Blue have 1/2 windows now. Red is supposedly getting the new ones installed while its on its refurb, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
    I went on Monorail Blue yesterday and saw the new windows. I kept asking myself what took them so long to come up this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    From what I've heard, Red is running behind schedule.

As for WDW, anything can happen. What I can tell you is that WDW recently invested quite a bit in updating the Mark VI consoles. With all the money that was put into those trains, I think it's safe to say the Mark VI's will be around for some time. That doesn't concern me, though. I think the Mark VI's are great trains.

Aesthetically, the Mark VII's are amazing. That's why the guests love them. Beyond that, the operators hate them... Not only for their constant mechanical issues, but for their lack of practical design.

When it comes to the Mark VII's, WDI decided to go with form over function. One example... The pilot no longer has windows on either side of him. While the "intrusion system" tells the pilot if he's clear for the next station, the side windows gave the pilot the ability to visually check the next station. It was a simple safety feature that was taken away in favor of style. Thank you, Scot Drake.
    Last edited by Code90; 07-03-2009 at 09:30 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

WDW also just redid the interiors of the monorails to remove a center console/bench to add more standing/stroller room.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    WDW also just redid the interiors of the monorails to remove a center console/bench to add more standing/stroller room.
    Actually, the center benches were removed YEARS ago to allow more room for strollers/wheelchairs/standing guests. The Mark VI trains definitely have the same 1970s inspired lear jet look, but they run so well at WDW, I just don't see 2009 Disney Inc. putting any money into a new set of (11 is it?) monorails.

At WDW, monorails are actually functional transportation over great distances, connecting 3 deluxe resort hotels, the Magic Kingdom, the Transportation and Ticket center, and EPCOT.

At DLR, they are more of a nice "tour" into the Tomorrowland station, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Correct. And just to clarify... When I said that the Mark VII consoles were replaced, I was referring to the panel that the operator uses to monitor the train's speed and other systems. Not to be mistaken for the type of console you are referring to.

Each Mark VII train now has a touch screen display and a scanner that detects the identity of each pilot before the train can run.

And to add to what you had mentioned, each Mark VI train also had their carpeted floors replaced. They now have the type of hard flooring that is in the Mark VII's... One of the few practical design changes that actually make sense on the Mark VII trains.

Had Scot Drake and WDI actually worked closely with the operations and facilities teams, we wouldn't be experiencing many of the problems we are having today. I guess that's below WDI because it seems to be an ongoing issue with them. Now WDI has washed their hands clean of their problems and DL is picking up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    Actually, the center benches were removed YEARS ago to allow more room for strollers/wheelchairs/standing guests.
    You are right, but what flynnibus was referring to are the replacement panels used to fill the space where the fold down center benches used to be. Those are the panels that were removed. Passengers can now stand between the two vertical handrails, making even more room for standing passengers and strollers.

• Awaiting Walt's Return...

93 Miles North of The ORIGINAL Disneyland

I think the new windows are FINALLY an improvement to the poor monorails! Hopefully the problem no longer persists, and the monorails have a good life on the beamway (that is only if WDI can get things straight )
    "To all who come to this happy place - welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. Thank you."

óWalter E. Disney, July 17, 1955

LONG LIVE Disneyland!!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213