Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Animatronic

Re: Is Main Street USA a "Land"?

As a kid, I always felt that to qualify as a land, an area had to represent multiple locations. Since Mainstreet seems to represent just one location, as does Toontown, it's not really a land. Disneyland is a land made up of other lands, so it qualifies.

If you picture Disneyland as Walt left it, it's very strong in the concept of Realms or Lands being comprised of multiple related themes. As you enter Fantasyland, you are in a castle, but quickly find yourself in Neverland looking at Skull Rock. As you enter Adventureland, you are in Tahiti, but quickly find yourself in Africa. As you enter Frontierland, you are in a Fort, but quickly find yourself in New Orleans or Rainbow Ridge. There was always something magical about how Walt and his crew made such a complex jumble of themes work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The artistic integrity of Disneyland is compromised when subsequent generations of people in The Walt Disney Company fail to understand the original design intent of Disneyland's creators. Disneyland is a living and evolving work of art whose preservation depends on its culture being transmitted from one generation to the next intact.
    Is it really compromising "artistic integrity" because some people consider New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Toontown and Main Street, and others do not? If you define it by the map, there are more than the four original realms off of Main Street. Personally, I do not define Main Street as a "land" although it is clearly a separate section. I would define New Orleans Square as a separate land, as it's design clearly differentiates it from the rest of Frontierland.

These points can be argued back and forth all day long and in the end, does it really matter? Just go and enjoy the park: streets, lands, squares, towns, countries and everything!

Regardless of what Walt intended, I think you'd have to say that Imagineering considers Main Street a "land." Just look at Hong Kong Disneyland and it's "four themed lands."

Even if Main Street wasn't a land before, it is now!

• Rock Star Minion

Here's a thought: if it's not a "land," then it's part of another "land." So, which "land" is it part of?

Logic is easy if it's considered a "land."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123