View Poll Results: May 2005- Present: How far have we come?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Was Disneyland a much better place to be in 2005 rather than now??

14 30.43%
  • Did new projects since May 2005 take us into a newer, fresher, better Disneyland

32 69.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

May 2005- Present: How Far Have We Really Come?

Flashback for a second....

May 2005- Disneyland is completely restored for its 50th birthday, Disney Entertainment couldn't look better. The Disney Originals/ Character Balance is in check. Tiki Room is restored.

What has been added since,

Controversial character updates to two classic attractions (Neutral Reviews)

FNSV, Positive for Execution, Negative for Originality

Pointless Marketing Schemes

Return of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

Loss of Entertainment's major Bulk...

+More
    Which brings me to open up this discussion that I don't think has ever been touched upon here on Micechat.

How far has Disneyland come since May 2005. Has it gone way down in its presentation? Has the company shown less respect towards its properties? Has something gone wrong.

Would you prefer Disneyland be like it was almost 4 years ago, or would you stay where you are now.

Keep in mind, this should stay about Disneyland and not about DCA, because I think we are mostly one 1 track when it comes to that.

The basic question is, with all of the good and bad that has come the parks way, not anything about the recession, but based on the additions to Disneyland, how far do you think we have come, have we stepped backwards, kind of like entertainment, or did we step forwards. To something even better then what was available to us at the 50th?

Chat Away!

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 03-24-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Awaiting Walt's Return...

93 Miles North of The ORIGINAL Disneyland

Re: May 2005- Present: How Far Have We Really Come?

I think it has come a good long way since. Things look gloomy a bit now because of our recession, but they will get MUCH better very soon!
    "To all who come to this happy place - welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. Thank you."

—Walter E. Disney, July 17, 1955

LONG LIVE Disneyland!!

• Banned User

You options are so structured, hard to decide. It hasn't gotten worse so I chose the present.

• It's all about Theme!

^ It was really difficult to structure the poll. Because the options aren't supposed to be about the recession or anything, but as the systems changed, after YOMAD, Celebrate, Small World, POTC, Dream Suite, Castle, and all of the other stuff, have we progressed or gone backwards a bit.

I chose 2005 simply because of the bad character additions made to certain attractions, because I feel that is a creative step back from simply restoring an attraction like Tiki Room in 2005.

And I also chose it because of the step backs recently in Entertainment, which truly convinces me that Disneyland was in better overall shape a few years back.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

end of YOMD=++++++ small world changes= ------ fireworks show= ++++++ finding nemo submarine voyage=+-+-+-+-

eh, it's pretty much stayed the same, it hasn't really changed a whole lot. Only 1 major attraction was added. The 50th was fun though

• Disneyland History Lover

Considering that my first time going was in May of 2007 I'll make an educated assumption based on what I know the park was like two years prior to that and what it's like now.

When I was there the first time, work was being done on the Submarines... so that wasn't there yet. The Castle Walkthrough was still closed with no sign of being reopened. It's a Small World was the old version of itself, which I never got to ride before they closed it for the refurb. And Year of a Million Dreams was going on. Plus the Parade of Dreams was on at the time.

Now... the Subs are open, the Castle is open (which seriously was a dream come true for me), Small World is back (not sure if I would have liked the original version better or not since I never experienced it other than the Holiday version). And the Parade of Dreams, which I thought was awesome, is no longer here. And YOAMD is now gone and Celebrate is in place with the new smaller parade coming.

So... I'd wager to say that overall the park is better off now than it seems to have been four years ago.

• Animation Domination

Disneyland had some improvement here and there, but no major new attraction. The entertainment department was much better three years ago.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Senior Minion

Entertainment is so directly affected and has always changed due to the economy, it's just not a fair comparison. Overall, some misteps like aspects of IASW, but I think the good things make it better now. I'm also glad to see the new Gallery and Lincoln show coming soon.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Wilderness Explorer

While a stronger entertainment department allows for breathtaking shows like "Remember Dreams Come True", which really is the best fireworks show I've ever seen, it also allows for such productions at the cost of operations. If you don't want to see the fireworks that night and it's a busy day at the park, it is hell or impossible to move around. You get routed around the hub and are shoulder to shoulder with other guests. As much as I REALLY like the show, I'll be glad to see more simple shows (as per Al's previous reports) that do not cause such significant congestion.

Also, while FNSV was kind of bleh (though truly well done) and Pirates and IASW have received mixed reactions, there were some smaller things that I truly enjoy. Even if you don't like the Pirates Lair (which I actually like, given that it has brought activity back to the island), I LOVE seeing the Bootstrappers around NOS. I don't remember seeing them prior to the 50th. And while not my cup of tea, Pixie Hollow is a great hit with young girls. Plus you've got the Halloween Time overlay and the winter castle decorations. These smaller experiences are a nice addition to the park.

The only thing I truly regret is the loss of the Disney Gallery (though it maybe even better in it's new location). I also wished I would have bought more 50th merchandise. It was nice that there was so much park specific stuff rather than generic character merchandise.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I have to say now as well. The subs were still a long ways off in May 2005 and there wasn't even a thought that the castle walk through would possibly come back. Sure, there are the purists who hate iasw and PotC now, but along with the character additions came upgrades like audio and lighting to the attractions in general. The same goes for Haunted Mansion, Alice, Tomorrowland Terrace and others.

And as Uncle Bob said, you can't compare entertainment offerings from two different economic climates.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post

And as Uncle Bob said, you can't compare entertainment offerings from two different economic climates.
    We had a recession going on around 1990/91 .. Yet, we had "One Man's Dream" in Videopolis, then followed by the hugely popular "Beauty and the Beast" stage show immediately after .. which lasted a few years.
    Plus .. in 1990 .. an anniversary that puts that stupid "Year of a million dreams" laugh to shame. They gave away gifts .. and the spectacular "Party Gras" parade.

The only difference now ... I don't believe the poor little cash strapped Disney Co. has to make cuts. The multi billion dollar empire it is? When the economy gets tight ... they tighten up funds so they can still show semi decent profits to their shareholders.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-25-2009 at 01:48 AM.

• Senior Minion

My point was that they have always cut back on entertainment as a first step in trying to save money. Really there's been a ton of entertainment over the last few years, people are only complaining because it had been reduced from high levels they got used to. Whether or not they could spend more on it is not the point I was trying to make. My point is that due to the economic forecast they decided to cut back on something that was an easy obvious target which they've historically done. They probably did cut even more than they should have, but I think they were worried that the parks would be really slow.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Getting back to the poll ...
    It's hard to answer it in that exact structure.

The question should really be ....
    Does the park have more to offer 5 years following the 50th Anniversary (as compared to what was offered prior in DL's history)? -
    My answer is: Not much!

For the 50th in 2005 .. We were offered in terms of New Attractions:
    * Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    * 50th Anniversary film and exhibit
    In terms of refurbishments & cosmetic renovations:
    * Restored Enchanted Tiki Room (as if we "Had" to ask for this!)
    * Silver and blue paint job over selected areas of Tomorrowland (Got to put on some lipstick to that misfire called TL:98)
    * A much needed refurb for Space Mountain which took 2 years (The ride was 26 years old - the track was on it's last leg, for heaven's sake!!)
    * Park wide 'refreshing' to restore what was let go for so long under Pressler & Harris' tenure!

I wouldn't consider the refurbs to existing attractions .. like we were given gifts by the Gods of Disney! Yearly refurbs are NORMAL & EXPECTED for all attractions. Normal since day one! Not so normal when Pressler and Harris took over, and decided yearly maintanance on attractions could be scaled back to "ocassionally".

So .. since then ...
    what has been added to Disneyland?

2007 .. the return of the Submarine Voyage.
    We know they sunk a lot of money into new show elements. Not to mention a lot of work that was needed .. since they let the subs rout from 1998 to 2005.
    It's hard to call it a "Net gain" .. when it was a net loss for 7 years .... from a status as part of the Disneyland landscape for almost FORTY years.

But .. lets give them credit for RETURNING this classic E Ticket. It may not be a BRAND-BRAND New Adventure built from scratch. But it ain't exactly the same old 1959 show either.

For the 5 years ... 2005 - 2010 ...... This IS the best they have to offer.

So .. what else is there that they have to show between these two milestone anniversaries -
    * The return of an attraction gone for 7 years - Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru
    * Pixie Hollow Meet & Greet (That's right - JUST a meet & greet)
    * Tom Sawyer Island lost the fort! And gained a "pirate" theme.
    (Net gain or net loss, overall? You be the judge on that one!)
    * Pirates of the Caribbean - The Jack Sparrow edition!
    (Not necessarily a "net improvement" depending on your perspective!)
    * The Monorails come up on their expected next generation fleet - the Mark VIIs
    * And lastly (to round up this 'much ado about nothin 5 years' era) - A controversial change to 'it's a small world' ...... to prove to the public - These last 5 years .. or last decade 2000-2010 is mostly about "minor changes to existing attractions, and reopenings/restorations to attractions since closed."

So to recap .....
    How far have we come since May 2005?

Still trying to make up for what was lost prior to May 2005!

These (nearly) 5 years (or this decade - 2000-2010) .. is all about "Restoration".
    And they are still not there yet.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - A fixture from 1965 to 2004 .. Coming back again.
    Tomorrowland STILL has plenty of "gaping holes" in it.
    The majestic water fall icon "Cascade Peek" still gone.
    Aladdin's Oasis is still this extremely underutilized facility - How about a REAL restoration to return to the state it was (1962-1990) with LOTS of people enjoying a good polenesian meal!!

We know Disneyland will never see the amount of massive sweeping changes that came in the 1960s. But even in the somewhat slower 70s ... DL was STILL delivering new attractions (not just refurbs) on the average of every 2 years. Maybe 3 .. but that was the most.

Going into the 80s .. steam picked up .. and it was almost EVERY year something new .. (practically) MAJOR additions were added. The first half the 90s were good too ... BUT SINCE THEN ........ it's been D-O-W-N H-I-L-L ...... and now ... it's a game of "putting back in .. what was taken out."

So ... In my opinion ... this 5 year stretch in Disneyland's history .. is the slowest and the worst in terms in new substantial offerings.

No new E Ticket since Indiana Jones.
    No new "original" attraction, that is not based on any film entity or Disney toon, in quite sometime.

Even if Star Tours 2.0 is greenlit for a 2010/55th opening .. It's yet ANOTHER update to an EXISTING attraction.

Really ...
    take the whole decade - Buzz & Pooh are our All-New offerings.

2000 - 2010 ......... Not Disneyland's decade! Not by a long shot!!!

• FastPass n00b

The it's a small world and Pirates of the Carribbean changes undo any positive gain in the park. I believe both those rides needed updates to remain fresh, but adding movie characters was not the way to go. For crying out loud, the it's a small world "America" room looks like it was shoehorned in there JUST so they could somehow fit Woody into the ride! Strike One, John Lasseter... although he has a LONG way to go until he reaches Paul Pressler, or even Cynthia.

So far, for all the hype surrounding John's entry into the Disney universe, he has not done anything to "blow up my skirt", to use a popular, if not crass, expression of our time.

• Fancy that...

IASW's changes weren't THAT bad, though I really wish they didn't add the characters(though I do shamefully admit that I like Alice in it), or the boring America scene, the lighting enhancements make it neutral for me though. The Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough is simply amazing, nothing negative about it, The subs are back...although I'm not really a fan, it's one less closed attraction in Tomorrowland! The Dream home is great, and of course the 50th enhancements are mucho appreciated, so I picked present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast