Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

[from screamscape]

Apparently, the subs were recently taken offline due to a sensor malfunction in a track switch. The problem has since been fixed.

The subs have always been so light that they actually float. The tracks function as a guide rail.

Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. Self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

Self-opening hatches will be a small, but nice improvement. It makes it seem a little more futuristic.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    [from screamscape]

Apparently, the subs were recently taken offline due to a sensor malfunction in a track switch. The problem has since been fixed.

The new subs were designed so light that they actually float. Due to this, the tracks are functioning as a guide rail. The old tracks were replaced with new ones when Finding Nemo was built.

Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    The "new Subs" are the same as the "old Subs" -- they're the same ride vehicles. I was under the impression that the Subs have always been buoyant, and that they had just been converted to electric instead of diesel.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

from screamscape]

The old tracks were replaced with new ones when Finding Nemo was built.
    The tracks are the same. They were taken apart and painted but they function exactly the same way they did in 1959.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I'm with Andy on this pne, that's how it's been I believe. The rails have always been just guides.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Closed Account

Yes--the subs are the same ones that debuted in '59. They floated then, and they float today.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The "new Subs" are the same as the "old Subs" -- they're the same ride vehicles. I was under the impression that the Subs have always been buoyant, and that they had just been converted to electric instead of diesel.
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    The tracks are the same. They were taken apart and painted but they function exactly the same way they did in 1959.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'm with Andy on this pne, that's how it's been I believe. The rails have always been just guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yes--the subs are the same ones that debuted in '59. They floated then, and they float today.
    I stand corrected on the track guys. I mistakenly bought into the roomer it had been replaced. I'll readjust my opening post accordingly.

I know the subs are the are the same. Thought they had been modified for added boyancy. Anywho as stated earlier, the submarine "track" sensor is fixed. Scout should be back in action soon.

• Closed Account

I stand corrected on the track guys. I mistakenly bought into the roomer it had been replaced. I'll readjust my opening post accordingly.

I know the subs are the are the same. Thought they had been modified for added boyancy. Anywho as stated earlier, the submarine "track" sensor is fixed. Scout should be back in action soon.
    I haven't heard of any "modifications for boyancy" other than removing what must have been a very heavy diesel engine and fuel tank.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I haven't heard of any "modifications for boyancy" other than removing what must have been a very heavy diesel engine and fuel tank.
    Either Lance at Screamscape had it wrong, and the divers were in the lagoon for another purpose ..or else the track sensor was fixed, plus s diesel engine and fuel tank were removed.

• ...TWO BITS!

Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. Self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    Scout returned Saturday, March 28, 2009. No "new" features. So is your source ONLY screamscape?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Mouseketeer

I know the part about whether or not the subs have always floated or not was already settled, but just for those who get a kick out of it, here's the patent: SUBMARINE AMUSEMENT RIDE - Google Patents

The description mentions several times that the ride vehicle is meant to float and simply be guided by the rails.

I hope it will be fix soon...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Scout returned Saturday, March 28, 2009. No "new" features. So is your source ONLY screamscape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I know the part about whether or not the subs have always floated or not was already settled, but just for those who get a kick out of it, here's the patent: SUBMARINE AMUSEMENT RIDE - Google Patents

The description mentions several times that the ride vehicle is meant to float and simply be guided by the rails.
    Wonder how Lance Hart could be so far off base on this one. It's not like him. Appreciate the extra feedback, guys.

• Closed Account

Wonder how Lance Hart could be so far off base on this one. It's not like him. Appreciate the extra feedback, guys.
    He posted a retraction:

Park News - (3/26/09) After hearing from a few Disney sources, the story I posted yesterday about weight being the cause of problems with the Submarine Voyage tracks is dead wrong. I kind of forgot this myself, but one reason they were able to add those extra two passengers in the first place is because the subs are now lighter than they were before thanks to a new electric drive system that replaced the old diesel engines. That and there is the fact that some if not all of the track system was replaced in the transformation, as well as the item that the subs actually do “float” allowing the track system to act more as a guide rail rather than a weight bearing structure.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I think we've established that Screamscape is a pretty unreliable source based on past incidents
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast