Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    [from screamscape]

    Apparently, the subs were recently taken offline due to a sensor malfunction in a track switch. The problem has since been fixed.

    The subs have always been so light that they actually float. The tracks function as a guide rail.

    Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. Self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #2

    • Launch sequence engaged
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    435

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Self-opening hatches will be a small, but nice improvement. It makes it seem a little more futuristic.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

    Avatar designed by Greg Maletic

  3. #3

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    [from screamscape]

    Apparently, the subs were recently taken offline due to a sensor malfunction in a track switch. The problem has since been fixed.

    The new subs were designed so light that they actually float. Due to this, the tracks are functioning as a guide rail. The old tracks were replaced with new ones when Finding Nemo was built.

    Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    The "new Subs" are the same as the "old Subs" -- they're the same ride vehicles. I was under the impression that the Subs have always been buoyant, and that they had just been converted to electric instead of diesel.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    482

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

    from screamscape]

    The old tracks were replaced with new ones when Finding Nemo was built.
    The tracks are the same. They were taken apart and painted but they function exactly the same way they did in 1959.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 03-27-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: link removed per MiceChat rules

  5. #5

    • Senior Monorail Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    I'm with Andy on this pne, that's how it's been I believe. The rails have always been just guides.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!


  6. #6

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Yes--the subs are the same ones that debuted in '59. They floated then, and they float today.

  7. #7

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The "new Subs" are the same as the "old Subs" -- they're the same ride vehicles. I was under the impression that the Subs have always been buoyant, and that they had just been converted to electric instead of diesel.
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    The tracks are the same. They were taken apart and painted but they function exactly the same way they did in 1959.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'm with Andy on this pne, that's how it's been I believe. The rails have always been just guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yes--the subs are the same ones that debuted in '59. They floated then, and they float today.
    I stand corrected on the track guys. I mistakenly bought into the roomer it had been replaced. I'll readjust my opening post accordingly.

    I know the subs are the are the same. Thought they had been modified for added boyancy. Anywho as stated earlier, the submarine "track" sensor is fixed. Scout should be back in action soon.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  8. #8

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I stand corrected on the track guys. I mistakenly bought into the roomer it had been replaced. I'll readjust my opening post accordingly.

    I know the subs are the are the same. Thought they had been modified for added boyancy. Anywho as stated earlier, the submarine "track" sensor is fixed. Scout should be back in action soon.
    I haven't heard of any "modifications for boyancy" other than removing what must have been a very heavy diesel engine and fuel tank.

  9. #9

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I haven't heard of any "modifications for boyancy" other than removing what must have been a very heavy diesel engine and fuel tank.
    Either Lance at Screamscape had it wrong, and the divers were in the lagoon for another purpose ..or else the track sensor was fixed, plus s diesel engine and fuel tank were removed.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #10

    • ...TWO BITS!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Scout has been modified and will soon return to active duty in the lagoon ..as early as mid-April. Self-opening and closing sub hatches have been added ..possibly other new features as well.
    Scout returned Saturday, March 28, 2009. No "new" features. So is your source ONLY screamscape?

    "You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

    "With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

  11. #11

    • Mouseketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    State of Insanity
    Posts
    438

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    I know the part about whether or not the subs have always floated or not was already settled, but just for those who get a kick out of it, here's the patent: SUBMARINE AMUSEMENT RIDE - Google Patents

    The description mentions several times that the ride vehicle is meant to float and simply be guided by the rails.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    236

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    I hope it will be fix soon...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

  13. #13

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,577

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Scout returned Saturday, March 28, 2009. No "new" features. So is your source ONLY screamscape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I know the part about whether or not the subs have always floated or not was already settled, but just for those who get a kick out of it, here's the patent: SUBMARINE AMUSEMENT RIDE - Google Patents

    The description mentions several times that the ride vehicle is meant to float and simply be guided by the rails.
    Wonder how Lance Hart could be so far off base on this one. It's not like him. Appreciate the extra feedback, guys.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  14. #14

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Wonder how Lance Hart could be so far off base on this one. It's not like him. Appreciate the extra feedback, guys.
    He posted a retraction:

    Park News - (3/26/09) After hearing from a few Disney sources, the story I posted yesterday about weight being the cause of problems with the Submarine Voyage tracks is dead wrong. I kind of forgot this myself, but one reason they were able to add those extra two passengers in the first place is because the subs are now lighter than they were before thanks to a new electric drive system that replaced the old diesel engines. That and there is the fact that some if not all of the track system was replaced in the transformation, as well as the item that the subs actually do “float” allowing the track system to act more as a guide rail rather than a weight bearing structure.

  15. #15

    • Senior Monorail Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Divers Keep Subs On Track ..Modified Scout Returning To Duty

    I think we've established that Screamscape is a pretty unreliable source based on past incidents
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Modified Floral and New YOAMD Decor...
    By dchun2007 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
  2. Citadel: Terms of ABC Radio deal modified - MarketWatch, 11/22/06
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
  3. Jungle High Divers
    By PrncssZ in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 08:44 AM
  4. Maybe the Original Subs won't be Returning!!
    By Titanfreak46 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •