Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Old Castmember Guidleines: How Things Have Changed!

I recently came across my old castmember trainning and policy guideline books when I was a castmember in 1990. That seems like only yesterday yet it was 15 years ago! Amazing...

I found it very interesting to read over the material. How much I had forgotten and how much things have changed since the pre-Pressler/Harriss years.

Here are a few basic random guidelines I thought you might find interesting: (How many of these do you think are still in place at Disney?)

-- As a member of the Disney Company, it is important that you understand how your appearance reflects on the "total show". You represent Disney to each of our guests. How you look, your smile and how courteous you are all complete your part of the show.

-- As a condition of your continued employment with the Disney Company, you are responsible for maintaining an appropriate weight and size so they do not distract from the show and do not exceed the range of sizes for your costume.

-- The words "no" and "I don't know" are not a part of your script. Using these phrases may result in termination. Please substitue "I will find out" and "Let me refer you to (supervisor) for that request."

-- Negative attitudes should not be brought to work at any time. Any problems should be discussed with management.

-- Castmembers should keep their hair neatly combed and arranged in an attractive, easy-to-maintain style. Any extreme look, such as shaving the hair and eyebrows, is not permitted. Hairstyles termed "natural" or "afro" are acceptable provided their are neatly packed and shaped. "The Disney Look" does not permit extremes in dyeing, bleaching, or tinting. If hair if dyed, it must be all one natural color. Frosting or streaking are not permitted.

-- (Women): The following hair accessories are acceptable: a plain barrette, comb or headband in gold, silver or tortoise shell with no ornamentation of any kind including bows. No more than two barrettes or combs. If a single hair ribbon is worn, it should compliment the costume and be no wider than one-half inch or longer than four inches when tied. Stick pins barrettes and knitted chignon holders are not acceptable.

-- Every Guest is a VIP
    -- We Work While Others Play
    -- We Create Happiness

Just a few...interesting, huh?

• That's Hawt

Re: Old Castmember Guidleines: How Things Have Changed!

Wow ... pretty strict rules but I think they're great.

The new front desk manager at our hotel, Eric Davis, used to work for the Disney company and he is probablly the best employee that has ever worked at the front desk, it is fantastic! If Disney's rules and training put out this calibur of employee I am in full backing of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Disneyland Historian

All but two of those are still in modern Disneyland training materials. I'll let you all guess which two.

• Sock Puppet

Northern California (wishing I lived inside Disneyland!)

Very interesting! I'd bet anything the one about "maintaining an appropriate weight" is no longer adhered to.

A little strict, sure...but wow, what a golden age for great guest service from castmembers! Some of these guidelines might sound out-of-date and obsolete to some people but they sound wonderfully archaic to me in the best sense! This is the kind of employee unity and discipline that used to define Disney.

• Super saucy pixie!

Things have changed so much since back then. They have even changed so much since I have been there. I notice the quality of service, and yes, even how people care for their physical appearances have changed dramatically. I remember my mother tried to get a job there in the 70s and they wouldn't hire her unless she cut her hair which they felt was too long. Eventually she did of course, but things have changed so much.
    I must say I do miss how things used to be. Not that it's right to hire people based on their looks, but it did lend a certain quality to the clean cut Disney atmosphere. It does make you wonder about how things will be...

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover
    As a member of the Disney Company, it is important that you understand how your appearance reflects on the "total show". You represent Disney to each of our guests. How you look, your smile and how courteous you are all complete your part of the show.

• Drunk On Disney

I like it! Saying "I don't know" will result in TERMINATION! Wow!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    MAYNARD!

I think that some of the guidelines are a little too far. As a Disney cast member, I notice that many of these guidelines are still in use, but I don't think the weight one is great at all. Not only is it immoral, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal too. That would be a discriminatory regulation, thus it would have needed to be changed. Also, "no" is a very valid word to use on stage. Many people, especially international guests cannot comprehend an extended answer. If one knows an answer to a question, and that answer happens to be no, it is your responsiblity to convey that information in a respectful and timely manner. Saying you need to get a supervisor just wastes your and the guest's time. Manners and professionalism are the keys to working for Disney.

They may be playing, we may be working, but we both can most certainly have fun!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Inappropriate

So if they weren't allowed to say "no," what would they say if a guest would ask something like, "Is the Partners statue really Walt Disney frozen in carbonite?"

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Disneyland Freak

Then you'd need to get a supervisor. LOL
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Super saucy pixie!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    Ah, flirtatious Maynard! Too funny!

• Metal Head

-- The words "no" and "I don't know" are not a part of your script. Using these phrases may result in termination. Please substitue "I will find out" and "Let me refer you to (supervisor) for that request."

-- Negative attitudes should not be brought to work at any time. Any problems should be discussed with management.

These are broken nightly at Fantasmic.
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• Metal Head

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    I think that some of the guidelines are a little too far. As a Disney cast member, I notice that many of these guidelines are still in use, but I don't think the weight one is great at all. Not only is it immoral, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal too. That would be a discriminatory regulation, thus it would have needed to be changed. Also, "no" is a very valid word to use on stage. Many people, especially international guests cannot comprehend an extended answer. If one knows an answer to a question, and that answer happens to be no, it is your responsiblity to convey that information in a respectful and timely manner. Saying you need to get a supervisor just wastes your and the guest's time. Manners and professionalism are the keys to working for Disney.

They may be playing, we may be working, but we both can most certainly have fun!
    Th weight issue is not wrong or immoral in context. If the costume no longer fits then how can they do it. Certain characters look a certain way. Could you imagine a 300 pound ariel?

And its definitely not illegal. If someone is unable to perform the duties required by the job then they will not be hired. If they gain the weight after hiring they can be discharged. Believe me I work in an area that puts me into one of the largest and most powerful unions in california but if I cant perform because of weight I can be let go.
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• Imagineer in training

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx

As I former Cast Member, I must respectfully disagree. The word "no" is not a part of a cast member vocabulary. Allow me to explain the context by example:
    Guest: Do you have the time?; Are the bathrooms this way?; Can Mickey hold my baby?
    Cast Member: (a watch is part of the uniform....); You'll find the restrooms to your left; For the safety of your child.... (blah blah, script, script)

Hope this clarifies things. Have a magical day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast