Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Yamabuki to close April 11

From the OC Register's Around Disney blog:

39 Disney employees told restaurant will close
    Disney officials announced Thursday afternoon that Yamabuki restaurant, inside the Paradise Pier Hotel will close down April 11.

Some 39 hourly employees who work at the restaurant were informed of the pending closure during a closed-door meeting around 4 p.m. Thursday.

Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the company will work to relocate some of those employees to other park restaurants. Those who cannot be placed elsewhere will receive at least 60 days pay as severance and an extension of some health care benefits.

A “handful” of salaried managers could either be relocated or lose their jobs, as well, Brown said.
    “The concept of the restaurant no longer resonates with our guests,” Brown said. The closure was not related to other layoffs and staff re-organizations related to the sagging economy, she added.

The upscale restaurant at 1717 S. Disneyland Dr., originally opened in 1996 with a lunch and dinner menu. Meals averaged $20 to $30 per diner. The restaurant shortened its hours and discontinued its lunch menu within the last year.

Restaurant hours will remain as normal until the April 11 closure.

"The concept of the restaurant no longer resonates with our guests"

Please, maybe it was the prices didn't resonate.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Yamabuki to close April 11

It probably just went out of fashion. Tastes in cuisine change. What Disney needs to do is take some of the space in Downtown Disney and build a Sci-Fi Dine in, like the one in Walt Disney World, but tailor the food to suit west coast tastes. It would fit even better with the California car and movie culture.

• Shablagoo!

I think it has more to do with the distance from the parks than anything. How many people really go there, unless they are staying at the PPH?

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I think it has more to do with the distance from the parks than anything. How many people really go there, unless they are staying at the PPH?
    Or at least the Disney hotels. We have been to Yamabuki on our last 2 trips and last year it did seem more empty. The food was very good but a Japanese Steakhouse would have worked better. Well I guess I will need to find another resterrant for our trip now.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I always enjoyed this restaurant....but I always forget it's there.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Never eaten here, but maybe I should try to before it closes!

On a side not, I don't know why people would complain about pricing - it's at the Disneyland Resort, for one, and it's sushi, which tends to be pricey anyway!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Never eaten here, but maybe I should try to before it closes!

On a side not, I don't know why people would complain about pricing - it's at the Disneyland Resort, for one, and it's sushi, which tends to be pricey anyway!
    It's a little hard to pay $10 for a California Roll, no matter where you're eating at.

I understand its a restauarant inside a hotel, and hotel restaurants are always priced a little higher -- AND this is a Disney hotel. But really, you can go to a variety of other Japanese restaurants around Orange County and get a California Roll (not to mention a lot of the rest of the menu) for half the price.

| | |

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Really sad news. I just LOVE Yamabuki. However, we don't eat there often due to the high price. I fear that is what really did them in. The food and the staff were wonderful!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Sock Puppet

Sad to hear about the CM's possibly losing their jobs over the closure. Hopefully they will be offered employment when/if a new restaurant opens up there.

As much as we stay on property, we have never eaten there. Not our "cup of tea", so we won't miss it.

We do enjoy the PCH Grill quite often. Their Lilo & Stitch breakfasts are terrific! We have also been known to catch a regular meal there too. Fair prices!

Hopefully, a restaurant like the old Monorail Cafe will go in its place. We still miss it. It was great being able to run down to it, pick up a banana split or two and then take them back to the old Bungalow's to enjoy.

How sad...BTW, thanks for informing...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    It's a little hard to pay $10 for a California Roll, no matter where you're eating at.

I understand its a restauarant inside a hotel, and hotel restaurants are always priced a little higher -- AND this is a Disney hotel. But really, you can go to a variety of other Japanese restaurants around Orange County and get a California Roll (not to mention a lot of the rest of the menu) for half the price.
    Of course you can, but I don't know of any decent sushi/japanese place within walking distance of the parks (aside from Gardenwalk, but I'm not too familiar with what's there) and I'm sure a lot of guests who fly in don't either.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Of course you can, but I don't know of any decent sushi/japanese place within walking distance of the parks (aside from Gardenwalk, but I'm not too familiar with what's there) and I'm sure a lot of guests who fly in don't either.
    The California Roll is the "comfortable" roll to order for most people, especially those who are less comfortable with sushi. Charging double its worth is dangerous, especially when people flying in and staying at Disney hotels might not be too keen on sushi to begin with.

People in the thread with this article in the News section of these boards suggested the restaurant move to Downtown Disney -- I agree that might be a better location, as Downtown Disney draws in locals along with tourists. It would have better visibility and be seen by a lot more people than those who are staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel or already know about it.

| | |

• Minion

So what will happen to the space in the Paradise Pier Hotel when Yamabuki closes? Will it sit empty?

• Minion

I wonder if this means there will be fewer seats for the Candlelight Processional? We’ve been trying to get reservations for the past two years.
    Crazy Works For Me!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The California Roll is the "comfortable" roll to order for most people, especially those who are less comfortable with sushi. Charging double its worth is dangerous, especially when people flying in and staying at Disney hotels might not be too keen on sushi to begin with.

People in the thread with this article in the News section of these boards suggested the restaurant move to Downtown Disney -- I agree that might be a better location, as Downtown Disney draws in locals along with tourists. It would have better visibility and be seen by a lot more people than those who are staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel or already know about it.
    I agree it would work better in Downtown Disney as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast