Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Goofy

Re: Opinions of the New Celebrate Street Party (Spoilers!)

at mouseplanet i have seen the pictures. and it looks nothing out of the ordinary but this sunday I have to wait and see for the final comment.

• Fancy that...

I'm not into parades in the first place, but I would of been fine with the POD staying provided they change that frikkin' corny music. Have you heard to the things they try to rhyme in that song?? "This is a festival, and best 'uvall' ". Just my opinion.

• Banned User

It is loud and garish and is not a right fit for Disneyland. It is just re-hashed garbage that lacks imagination and desperately tries to be hip. The crowd control around the Plaza Inn and Coke Corner approaches Light Magic disaster-levels seeing that walkways completely disappear and gridlock for 5 minutes at a time sending all control of the crowds into a frenzied nightmare. It moves way too fast and if you are not within a few feet of Main Street's curbs, you can't see much of anything at all.

The POD show stops worked well because they were fast and none of the performers had to disappear off stage using vital onstage walkways that are desperately needed during show-time. This parade show stop is way too long and creates havoc for the poor Cast Members trying to deal with angry hordes of people willing to run them over with strollers and spit in their faces all because they can't move an extra few feet since the walkway in front of them, which is the only way out, is completely closed off. The concept works in DCA where walkways are wide and open, but not in Disneyland where things are crammed and extremely narrow.

The music and procession is a whole other thing that I will leave alone. I honestly don't see this lasting very long and I truly hoped it becomes a thing of the past once the Celebration campaign is over.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 03-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

This show is high energy, and the Cast Members put a lot of heart of effort into this show. It's not a heavy with people as "Main Street Hop" though it also does three show stops and not simply Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    "This is a festival, and best 'uvall' ". Just my opinion.
    It's "This is our festival, you know and best of all..." actually. It's called Welcome by, Phil Collins from the movie "Brother Bear" with only a few words slightly changed for the Parade.
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 03-28-2009 at 12:53 AM.

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    This show is high energy, and the Cast Members put a lot of heart of effort into this show. It's not a heavy with people as "Main Street Bash" though it also does three show stops and not simply Main Street.
    What's Main Street Bash? I've heard Celebrate compared to Main Street Hop. Are they the same?

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

i really like PoD's music! it made me happy haha i love when i'm walking through the park and happen to walk by and hear the song playing during the parade stop! oh i miss those days...

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    What's Main Street Bash? I've heard Celebrate compared to Main Street Hop. Are they the same?
    You know, I think I have the title wrong... I believe you are correct with "Main Street Hop." I was thinking of "Block Party Bash..." I have a wonderful tendency sometimes to put things together.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    It's "This is our festival, you know and best of all..." actually. It's called Welcome by, Phil Collins from the movie "Brother Bear" with only a few words slightly changed for the Parade.
    Yeah, I purposely misspelled "of all" of course, but I didn't know the exact lyrics...it was just my impression, sorry. It doesn't change my opinion though. I knew it was written by Phil Collins...and that's another one of the reasons I "strongly dislike" it so much hah.

• Disneyland Historian

I saw the first show stop of today's first performance. I watched from the front row of the viewing area near it's a small world and ended up next to the last float that arrives with Jessie and Woody. I really enjoyed the performance and thought that everyone tried their best to entertain the audience. I liked the music and the complex dance moves that usually are not seen in a standard Disney parade. The performers exibited such energy that I would have thought the parade only had one show stop, not three. I wonder how they will hold up in the hot months this summer. What I appreciated the most, however, was the intricate blocking of the Disney characters throughout the parade. The characters on the float in front of me ended up trading positions with other characters multiple times so that all parts of the show area see every character up close. I thought this was highly effective.

I watched the parade with the absolute lowest expectations, expecting something akin to the Florida version of the show. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance and extravagance of the California version. While I would still prefer to see a traditional parade, I thought that Celebrate did what it attempts to do well and the show is solid when you have a front row seat in a performance area. If you are outside the performance areas, or too far back in the audience, I can see how you could get a negative impression of the show. At least for day one, no cast member really knew what would happen so they could not tell guests where to view from. There were tons of guests watching from Town Square only to have the entire show pass them by. Also, most of the dancing is on the ground and the floats are not too vertical. I don't think you would see much deep in the audience, or be able to participate in the show as it's intended. I filmed the entire show stop of the parade and will post a link to it on You Tube shortly.

My biggest complaints about Celebrate come from its effect on Disneyland operations. Frankly, no one outside of Entertainment knew exactly how this show would run and how it would affect the park. From an operations perspective, this day was a disaster. From here on, I report with the knowledge of someone well acquainted with Disneyland guest control, having worked it regularly for four years. I apologize if it sounds somewhat technical to those not familiar with its basics. During the afternoon Main Street show stop, westside backstage had to be used to alleviate the crowds on the street. I have never seen an afternoon parade require backstage guest control, usually only reserved for the busiest nights of Remember. Guest Control was set up as though this would be a regular parade with ropes encouraging viewing in Town Square where there is no show stop. I heard numerous complaints from guests there who had waited an hour only to see the parade pass them by. Also, even through the parade route near Mad Hatter is not in use during the Main Street show stop, crossings had to be limited due to the congestion of the eastside sidewalk up Main Street, limiting the number of guests who could enter the park. I witnessed dozens of guests heading to City Hall to voice their concerns.

I returned for the 6:30 performance at 6:25 hoping to catch the Central Plaza show stop. Guest Control sent me up the west sidewalk of Main Street, as they would for POD. I noticed backstage was still being used to send guests down Main Street towards the exit but there was no way to head up the street. The sidewalk quickly became congested as people stopped to watch. Main Street is so narrow that the POD showstop often caused backups. A 15 minute show is much too long for this critical area. Frantic cast members directed us into the stores where I was literally sent in circles as no one knew where to send entering guests. After ten hectic minutes, I found myself pushed back out into Town Square at the Emporium. There was no way to head up Main Street at 6:30. Guest Control seriously needs to be reexamined and deployed more effectively if this parade is to be successful. It is inexcusable to not allow guests to make it up Main Street. This event requires a setup similar to that used in Remember where each side of Main Street is restricted to northbound and southbound guests; using the POD setup does not work. There were still cast members in positions that were essential to guest control for previous parades near the train station. Since this new parade doesn't even pass around Town Square, these positions are now completely useless and those cast members could be better utilized someplace else. I hope that Operations can take control of this soon and get traffic flowing as it is the greatest blemish on an otherwise decent parade. I'm sure that most of today's problems were due to a lack of communication both between Entertainment and Operations, as well as the various Guest Control divisions within the park. Some more planning could make guest flow work. I look forward to seeing any changes they will have made by tomorrow.

In overview, Celebrate acheives what it tried to achieve well. Its greatest problems are the limited viewings areas and lack of communication to guests about where they would be able to watch from. Guest control is the biggest issue right now and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Gregmh48; 03-28-2009 at 11:46 AM.

First, let me just say my criticism of this new parade thing that isn't a parade has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PERFORMERS THEMSELVES. They all had heart and energy and lots of talent on display today. God bless 'em. But this parade thing that isn't a parade is kind of a mess logistically, operationally and artistically.

I saw the evening performance on Main Street on Friday. In short, I was underwhelmed. It has elements of cuteness to it, and the music isn't as bad as you would think. All of the random characters were nice to see. But there aren't enough human dancers to really get this thing off the ground.

The floats or stages or whatever they are do not inspire anything. They were clearly done on the quick and cheap. The thing rolls there and parks for 13 minutes and then it's just one peppy dance number after another, all tied into the "celebrating things" marketing message.

There is very little emotional connection to anything, unless you are emotionally connected to a bad wedding reception conga line with people you don't know.

It wouldn't be so bad if this was merely a fun little supplement to a really great parade also performed each day like Parade of Dreams or Hercules Victory Parade or Electrical Parade or something. But as it is, as the only parade performance offered in Disneyland for the forseeable future, it's a real let down and definitely not up to traditional Disney standards.

The crowd control problems it creates, and the silly little rules that go along with it like "no sitting on the curbs for the safety of the bikers, everyone must remain standing at all times!" don't help either.

Celebrate A Street Party! is not as horrific artistically and logistically as Light Magic.

But it's not really that good either.

So today the park was PACKED! I really liked this parade.... until the 6th show haha... after dealing with the HUGE amounts of people, the music started to blend together and it started sounding the same =( I really was super excited and amazed by this Streetacular, until like I said, the 6th show and huge amounts of people. Its ok, and might watch it once in a while. I do love the LED intelligent lighting,Pyro Fog machines, LED strobes ect haha. Oh and I like the mini floats were the performers drive them.

• Banned User

POD IS NOT COMING BACK!!! bunch of little babies on this thread.

This is a good parade, its pretty short but there really is no purpose after seeing it once to make any effort to go back again.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I loved it...even the 30, 15, and Few minute announcements got me pumped up. I was really excited when I saw the show...I saw the very first showing in Small World Plaza...I was floored...I was having fun and dancing the whole time...and hey, the fact that I LOVE Play parade and Block Party mixed with the fact that the music was arranged/Sung by the same people really made me enjoy the show that much more. I loved seeing the characters in the show and watching how the choreography was performed by the specific characters. I have to say that I loved Mary Poppins Choreography...it was elegant and showed the fun side of the character...and Man could she swing Dance...overall I love how this show ties together the promotion and made me celebrate today and the new celebration in the street. Thank You Disney entertainment for not giving us the Florida version

I give this show 5 Mouse ears out of 5

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    I saw the first show stop of today's first performance. I watched from the front row of the viewing area near it's a small world and ended up next to the last float that arrives with Jessie and Woody.
    Thanks Gregmh48 for your firsthand review! I know that's what the OP was asking for in this thread.
    In overview, Celebrate acheives what it tried to achieve well. Its greatest problems are the limited viewings areas and lack of communication to guests about where they would be able to watch from. Guest control is the biggest issue right now and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
    And thanks for the detailed writeup regarding the Guest Control issues. Some of that was to be expected on the first day, but it must have been extremely frustrating to a lot of guests. Hopefully the Operations and Entertainment groups figure out a better plan quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    First, let me just say my criticism of this new parade thing that isn't a parade has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PERFORMERS THEMSELVES. They all had heart and energy and lots of talent on display today....

Celebrate A Street Party! is not as horrific artistically and logistically as Light Magic.

But it's not really that good either.
    TP2000, thanks for your firsthand review too. What you bolded seems to be a running theme in some of the other reviews I've seen (including Fishbulb's on the Micechat front page). The performers seem to be really talented and doing their best to entertain the audience. But the scope of this streetacular is limiting because it's not a full parade. I hope to catch it this weekend too and will have my own review to post later.

• It's all about Theme!

Over the night, I formulated my greatest concern for this streettacular.

I already said this would be a good 3:30 show and PoD could take 6:30.

Then I thought back to the summer season w/PoD. I remember, the temps being so high at 3:30 every day, that there were no show stops, 1/2 the characters were missing, and Ursula was too hot to operate.

So, yeah, 1 showing of PoD at 6:30 works, because it is much more cooler, and better for the performers.

But then I thought about BPB, and how it performs at the cooler time at 5:15PM. My greatest concern is that as the parade nears Summer, the intense heat will be too much for the performers. Yes, I know that BPB had no problem, but they enjoyed a much cooler temperature setting.

If there is intense heat in the 100's as there usually is at 3:30PM. It is my concern that there will be no Celebrate Street Party, or a shell of that, because there was nearly no PoD at that time either, and this parade requires a lot of more energy!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast