Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Skyway Chalet: PFF

Okay, well. Thread number three on the same subject in a day. Oh well, here we go!

Princess Fantasy Faire? What are you, CRAZY!?!
    I despise PFF (Sorry Princess lovers, nothing against you!). It takes up WAY too much space for such a limited attraction, which, in my mind, shouldn't even be an attraction. What happened to roaming characters, huh? Anyways, this plan would relocate the PFF to a smaller, more thematically-correct area: the old Fantasyland Skyway Chalet. Please remember, this is not my lain fantasy idea. I have made it as realistic as possible, and with Disney these days, that means including merch.

The Queue
    The queue would follow up the old path (right-hand side). Once on top, the queue would go through switchbacks outside and inside the old building.

The Princesses
    Of course, there would still be three princesses. However, the layout would change from the current one so that each princess has an "corner" so that kids don't just run to their favorite princess. Each "corner" would be decorated in the fashion of an old chalet/ castle.

The Exit
    To exit, you would leave the chalet and go down the path on the left-hand side. This would lead you directly to the area at the bottom.

The Merch
    One of my favorite things about this location is that you do not need the seperate failities that are in use over where PFF currently is. This means no extra bathrooms need to be installed because they are directly accross the way already. Fodd service is also just accross the way at Village Haus. Makeovers will be available at Bibbody Bobbidy Boutique.

So, the merch area would use the current carts and change merchandise to Princess themed merch. That's about it; a few carts. However, signs would direct you to the Boutique for makeovers, Village Haus for food, and of course the bathrooms.

Pros
    • More thematically correct facility
    • More discreet
    • More space efficient
    • No extra facilities required
    I will post a diagram and more information soon!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Re: Skyway Chalet: PFF

Cons: Theyre not gonna build an elevator for a character meet and greet location that they already have.

Cons: Children waiting in a long, continually upward line on the stairs could become dangerous.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    Cons: Theyre not gonna build an elevator for a character meet and greet location that they already have..
    They don't need one by law. If you're point is being fair, you can always get princesses to come down.

Cons: Children waiting in a long, continually upward line on the stairs could become dangerous.
    Many rides have stairs. Parents should watch their kids.
    WELCOME ABOARD

I like this idea too (along with the Sleeping Beauty idea.)
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    They don't need one by law. If you're point is being fair, you can always get princesses to come down.
    But if it were to be a character meet and greet, there would be no easy way to get the Princesses down to the Guest who is unable to go up to the chalet without either a private staircase (which they'd have to build), or an elevator (which again, they'd have to build), but then with the elevator, the guest could go up on their own, negating the problem to begin with. Anyways, without inciting a riot a the bottom of the stairs for the princesses to visit nearly every guest within eyesight, it just wouldn't work. Not to mention the ADA requires some sort of similar experience (i.e. Nemo Subs viewing room, Sleeping Beauty Castle viewing room), and I just can't see them holding up the line every time a guest who requires a wheelchair or is unable to navigate stairs comes up to the area so that a Princess can come down to them.

Many rides have stairs. Parents should watch their kids.
    I'm not denying that people should watch their children, but sometimes they simply don't. Let's be honest. But meet and greets can take a long time as far as lines go. Most attractions that have stairs somewhere within their queue only have them for a segment of the line, not their entirety. When the Skyway was up and running, the queue was practically in constant motion. Putting an entire queue that will stop and go on a set of stairs just doesn't seem like hte wisest decision.

I'm not saying the idea isn't good, I'm simply saying that as a photo op, it wouldn't be a feasible location for the use you've suggested.

• Senior Monorail Minion

But if it were to be a character meet and greet, there would be no easy way to get the Princesses down to the Guest who is unable to go up to the chalet without either a private staircase (which they'd have to build), or an elevator (which again, they'd have to build), but then with the elevator, the guest could go up on their own, negating the problem to begin with. Anyways, without inciting a riot a the bottom of the stairs for the princesses to visit nearly every guest within eyesight, it just wouldn't work. Not to mention the ADA requires some sort of similar experience (i.e. Nemo Subs viewing room, Sleeping Beauty Castle viewing room), and I just can't see them holding up the line every time a guest who requires a wheelchair or is unable to navigate stairs comes up to the area so that a Princess can come down to them.

I'm not denying that people should watch their children, but sometimes they simply don't. Let's be honest. But meet and greets can take a long time as far as lines go. Most attractions that have stairs somewhere within their queue only have them for a segment of the line, not their entirety. When the Skyway was up and running, the queue was practically in constant motion. Putting an entire queue that will stop and go on a set of stairs just doesn't seem like hte wisest decision.

I'm not saying the idea isn't good, I'm simply saying that as a photo op, it wouldn't be a feasible location for the use you've suggested.
    Law does not require a simillar experience. Disney just does that out of the kindness of their hearts (and to avoid riots). However, you're right, a simillar experience should be provided. So, why nothave an elevator? Disney has added tem to a lot of things over the years, the Dream Suite being the most recent. It could be easily done.

As for the point of children, I can't keep a kid from falling on flat ground, slopped, sandy wet, or terraced. The walkway has more or less landings then stairs. I don't see your point. What kid gets bored, screws off, and falls? It happens. Parent's should watch out. Look at Splash Mountain, an extremely hills queue. There are 3 sets of stairs and multiple ramps of varying slopes. The line is almost the same. What happens when a kid srews off and falls? I don't know, but I thnk your point just is a side effect. It's Murphy's Law- Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    WELCOME ABOARD

Exactly why Disney has to try to plan as much as possible to avoid as many of those problems as they can.

• Former DLR Cast Member

I like this idea. While I am not a big fan of the PFF, it would be nice to see this corner get some life again. As noted it does have all the nice little necessities nearby.

I'm sure they could come up with something for gusts who need special assistance. An elevator or something of the sort. Small potatoes.

Maybe they could start bringing back shows to the Fantasyland Theater again.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere"

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Law does not require a simillar experience. Disney just does that out of the kindness of their hearts (and to avoid riots).
    Unfortunately ADA does require equal access or a similar experience which is why Disney is required to do this. The only exceptions you'll see are places that have been deemed as historical landmarks like the Main Street Train Station. Disney is not allowed to make changes to the look of this station, so adding a elevator is not allowed. Though if it was not a historical monument, they would have been required to do this.

I really do like this idea, and think it would be quite simple to add an elevator similar to the one found on Tom Sawyer's Island.

• ...TWO BITS!

I think I sort of understood the OP.

I don't know how much you have seen of what is left of the SKyway. But I'd imagine the zig-zag path on the left to possibly be redesigned to be more accessible for ECVs and wheelchairs. So this zig-zag standby queue through this "forest" up the hill would be handicap accessible with other guests. Kind of like the Pixie Hollow queue. Then the stairway that leads straightdown and meets with Casey Jr Train's exit is the exit path for the chalet.

BUT, that leaves the question of how wheelchairs and ECVs get down. Well, perhaps this elevator construction would have a level bridge tucked in the back stemming from the chalet and leads a turn over where Stromboli's Wagon currently is located. Either theme it as a mine shaft or Rapunzel's Tower. If possible to have handicap go through the zig-zag path, maybe only use the elevator for exits. If not, then the elevator would have to be used for entrance & exit.

I don't usually go to PFF, so I'm not too familar with the crowds it gets. I do hear the line for Princess meet and greet can be quite long. I also don't know the exact physical capacity the actual chalet is able to provide.

Stromboli's Wagon would need to be relocated. I wouldn't really want to see this completely disappear.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I think this could be easily effected, even with adding a small elevator like the one at ETR (maybe themed to a balcony, sort of crossing the preexisting Heidi/Pinocchio style with a "Romeo & Juliet"-type balustrade?), but the crowds of little girls lining up to wait would be the major problem; Stromboli's Wagon would have to go, and the line would probably need to be partially cut into the hillside to increase the available line space, but what could be added to this space to keep the attention of the people in line? People need something to look forward to around the next turn or cutback while they're waiting to avoid terminal boredom; a special view of the back of the Princesses, a place where they can see the driver of Casey Jr waving at them, some Princess-themed paraphernalia along the wayside (is that part of Cinderella's Pumpkin Coach lying there broken? Maybe Belle's Magic Mirror with the image of Beast ghosting across the background?), etc.

One of the main problems is that Sleeping Beauty's Castle & Snow White's Scary Adventures are already right there in Fantasyland, overshadowing their appearance at the PFF. I'd prefer to see a Beauty & the Beast ride in that space, with a Provencal Village look that could tie into the preexisting Fantasyland decor, and the actual ride space could be dug under the Casey Jr ride; but the PFF is much more likely to happen moneywise, so I'd gladly see it happen if it can be done well.

• Annual PassHolder

What happened to roaming characters, huh?
    Back in '06, my daughter and I waited to see Cinderella (the princesses were roaming at that time throughout the park) by the castle. As we waited children (including mine) were playing on the rails while us parents were talking.
    The next thing I know my daughter falls face first to ground, cutting open her chin. We rushed to 1st Aid where they put a band-aid on and gave her some aspirin before leaving the park.
    I think it's a great idea to have an area set up for a meet and greet for characters (ie: Pixie Hallow).
    But I agree with you that they have to do something about that stage area. They could put a ride in there.
    Careful, you may end up in my novel.

• Banned User

Or just pave the stairs into a ramp and make it wheelchair accessible.

I like this idea! The PFF definitely takes up valuable room that could be utilized for another stage show or a new attraction. And even if they put one princess in at a time and kind of rotated them out with some sort of schedule, that'd be good, too.

• Sock Puppet

The park needs less princess stuff and more related chances for boys to be boys. The park looks like a ad for a feminism meet lately, when do boys get more chances to let loose at the park?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by westonsheppup View Post
    The park needs less princess stuff and more related chances for boys to be boys. The park looks like a ad for a feminism meet lately, when do boys get more chances to let loose at the park?
    YEAH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast