Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Yamabuki - A Final Visit

Quote Originally Posted by surffnutt3000 View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the "bad location" argument either. Sure, if you're at the Tomorrowland Autopia and walking, it's a haul. If, on the other hand, you're a local and driving there for dinner, I can't think of a more accessible Disney restaurant if using valet (or possibly even self) parking.

I miss Yamabuki already, and I'm still planning to go there twice before the 11th!

Most people attending Disneyland aren't exactly close enough to just drive and eat at Yamabuki. And if you haven't noticed the neighborhoods surrounding the Disneyland resort aren't exactly OC's finest either.

Majority of people there who WOULD eat at Yamabuki either don't know about it or are too busy enjoying their day at the theme parks to go through that kind of trouble for a meal. There are people who wouldn't even go across to Disneyland from DCA to eat if that's where they are.

And it sure doesn't help that the Paradise Pier walkway to the hotel hasn't been accessible either.

No matter how you look at it, it's quite a walk. And actually, if you're in Tomorrowland, that's the best spot to be in to go to Yamabuki -- just hop on the monorail and then walk past the AMC Theater and Disneyland Hotel, cross the driveway to Paradise Pier Hotel.

I'm glad to hear that you're going as many times as you can though. I wonder if there is a way to save it if enough people visit or write.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Honorary Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by TifaOnACloud View Post
    I'll share more when I've had some sleep, but I wanted to thank you for the pics. Yamabuki has long been on my top list of favorite restuarants at the resort. Right up there with Granvilles, Carnation Cafe, and Wine Country Trattoria. Yamabuki even excels them in some regards as I can almost entirely pin my expanded intrest in Japanese food, particularly sushi, entirely on the first time I ate there in 2001. It was the first california roll I'd ever had, and we all know it's the gateway drug.

Having grown up in the Bay Area, and still living in NorCal, I can't comment on it's prices compared to SoCal sushi. I agree that it's over priced on teriyaki. Sushi, though, is pretty much on par with the BA (anywhere but the cheapest places where you get what you pay for). Even here in Modesto, which has all of three Japanese places that truly thrive on sushi, a sashimi platter is going to run you about 24 bucks. They never include the excellent octopus and scallops that Yamabuki gives you. There diffenately are places with better roll veriety, and cheaper nigiri, but I've always liked that it stuck to the basics, as too many are borderline "fusion" places.

In all of the places I've been to though, there are few I've encountered that truly match the fish quality and preperation. Everything is the right temperature, the octopus never too chewy, and it's one of the few places that knows how to excel at salmon. I'm being very honest when I say that. They are simply the best I've had for sashimi. I miss the old forty piece futamori. The last time I had it was 4th of July, 2006. It was almost closing, and I swear that they gave us forty pieces of squid alone.

A lot of people say there are better cheaper places, and I don't entirely doubt it, especially the cheaper. Any recommendations for ones near the resort are much appreciated.

Yamabuki is quite simple a lost gem in the Disneyland dining rotation. It's location and poor advertising sort of always kept it that special place that only those in the know went to (sort of how the PPH's giftshop is a haven for rare pins). I'll miss the place dearly. As I've said, it pretty much was my favorite place for sashimi. I'll definitely charish the menus I have from it.

Here's a little tidbit for fans of the place. I've yet to try it myself, but some of the chefs have told me how they prepare their salmon. If memory serves, they cover it in kosher salt and refrigerate it for about an hour. They then rinse it, and breifly dip it in rice vineagar. That's supposedly how they bring about the buttery taste that I've only had at maybe two other restuarants. Again, I haven't tried it myself, but I hope it's appreciated.

I really hope Disney finds a way to salvage the place or its legacy.

Not really on subject, but
    If youre from the bay area you need to check out Little Mad Fish.
    AMAZIIING. And reallllly cheap.

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Most people attending Disneyland aren't exactly close enough to just drive and eat at Yamabuki. And if you haven't noticed the neighborhoods surrounding the Disneyland resort aren't exactly OC's finest either.
    I simply see Yamabuki as much, much more than a restaurant you'd go to only while at the park. As you know, most of the hotel restaurants are open for breakfast and dinner only; although some leave the park mid-day for a break, most don't. Yamabuki WAS open for lunch because it attracted an "off-site" customer. I've been an APer for years, but none of my recent Yamabuki visits have coincided with time in either park.

As you're probably aware, once upon a time, the hotel didn't even belong to Disney, and Yamabuki's predecessor did just fine. Pre-Downtown Disney, the hotel (and its restaurants) was even tougher for the average park visitor to reach.

I'm trying to come up with a place that will replace Yamabuki for me, but don't know of anywhere in the area with that type of ambiance, that quality of food, or that level of service.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Well I have been out of the loop for a while. I worked at the PPH for two years and actually never ate at Yamabuki even though I knew many of the people who worked their. I am really sad to hear that this restaurant is closing. Almost everyone (that I spoke to) that dined their gave it very high regard. A major problem with Yamabuki as someone who worked at the front desk was the fact that it was outside of the hotel. Many people would wonder through the hotel aimlessly searching for it. By the time they came to the front desk they were so frustrated they would talk about just ordering a pizza or going to Downtown Disney.

I really do hope that this does not become ANOTHER character location. One thing that I really think all the hotels of the Disneyland Resort desperately need is a dinning location that offers a breakfast with out the characters running around. This was something that we received as comments about especially during the convention season. Many of the convention"ears" despised the "Character" breakfast. When we would suggest the lobby bar they got upset once again because they wanted a real breakfast and not a muffin and a coffee.

I would suggest extending the front desk before turning that location into another character dinning experience. The front desk is cramped and does not have enough stations. Often the line to check-in is out the door because the room to check-in station ration is drastically skewed. Many times guests would be very upset that it would take so long to get to speak to someone due to the long lines. If they were to do that it would also make the desk a bit cooler since the restaurant was right next door the walls would heat up and make the front desk sooo warm.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Minion

Blog Entries

As you're probably aware, once upon a time, the hotel didn't even belong to Disney, and Yamabuki's predecessor did just fine. Pre-Downtown Disney, the hotel (and its restaurants) was even tougher for the average park visitor to reach.
    Technically speaking Disney still does not own the Paradise Pier Hotel. The hotel is being leased to Disney. I believe the length of the lease is 99 years long. Don't quote me on that though. One thing that people need to remember is that prior to the hotel being Disney leased is that it was ran and owned by a Japanese company. Which means many of the guests were Japanese, which still holds true. The Paradise Pier Hotel actually has a 13th floor. Many of the Japanese Tourist that visit the hotel also went to Yamabuki because it was a taste of home when they were so far away.
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I simply see Yamabuki as much, much more than a restaurant you'd go to only while at the park. As you know, most of the hotel restaurants are open for breakfast and dinner only; although some leave the park mid-day for a break, most don't. Yamabuki WAS open for lunch because it attracted an "off-site" customer. I've been an APer for years, but none of my recent Yamabuki visits have coincided with time in either park.

I'm trying to come up with a place that will replace Yamabuki for me, but don't know of anywhere in the area with that type of ambiance, that quality of food, or that level of service.

Hmm, I see what you're getting at but I think my point still stands regarding location... if Yamabuki was still big for the off-site customer, would they even be closing now? Seems like the fine diners such as yourself are becoming rarer and rarer... or they still exist but have found other places that they'd rather visit?

The first time I ever gone to Yamabuki was like yours, not a park visit. But it was for lunch and I happen to be in the area... and I was a CM and had a discount. I probably wouldn't make the effort to drive out there even from Fullerton unless I was made of money.

But I can tell you what, there have been so many times I was at Disneyland and craving sushi lately but forgetting that Yamabuki was even there. Yah I know, that's my own brain's fault, but also Disney's for not really including Paradise Pier as part of the expansion... and SnowWhiteRaven's comments about ownership might have played a part in that.

I remember when the Disneyland guide map actually included the two hotels along with their restaurant options. Do they still do that anymore? They basically just leave it to the people to figure it out now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234