Flag Retreat.... Ceremony or Celebration?

On my visit to Disneyland yesterday, I attended the flag retreat in town square. I have done this many times in the past.

I seem to recall that Disneyland has always referred to this as the Flag Retreat Ceremony.

Now, the voice over before it begins invites people to join in the Flag Retreat Celebration.

I'm sure that this change has everything to do with the Celebrate Today marketing hype.

My question is... Do we really celebrate the retiring of the flag? Is not ceremony the appropriate word? I see no issues in celebrating the flag... but I seem to have an issue with celebrating retreat.

Perhaps it should be called "Patriotic Celebration and Flag Retreat Ceremony"

• The line's too long...

Re: Flag Retreat.... Ceremony or Celebration?

Wow, I guess nothing is sacred after all. This is what happens when you let marketing take over the park.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by briansp View Post
    I would like to think that is more what they were getting at, but that doesn't have the same ring over the PA, now does it?

And I think I heard someone make these same comments at the park before flag retreat yesterday. Wonder if it was you...

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

The lowering of the flag of the United States is a ceremony not a celebration. Disney has always treated it with a great deal of respect. I would hope they continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    The lowering of the flag of the United States is a ceremony not a celebration. Disney has always treated it with a great deal of respect. I would hope they continue.
    I would hope they continue too. The ceremony itself still had the great deal of respect that it has always had. It was just the pre-ceremony announcements by the "voice in the sky" that referred to it as the "Flag Retreat Celebration".

• Bring Your Own Redemption

I think ceremony was the right word for it. Celebration seems inappropriate to me.

It still says Flag Retreat Ceremony on Disneyland.com.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, 'celebration' is definitley not quite appropriate. If they really wanted to tie in the whole celebrating thing into the flag lowering, they should say something like 'please join us for our flag retreat ceremony while we celebrate America' or something.
    ap搆ur暗e搖ant adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

Sounds like Disney's "Celebration" is getting a bit over board. Anyone think maybe they are doing the celebration thing due to the "economy"? To get people to think positive and "celebrate" while they are on a vacation, or "stay-cation"?

I bet things will change in the near future.. but we've all been pretty spoiled with some spectacular past entertainments there... but I think they are tryng to draw attention to all sorts of things that are going on in the park... and to "celebrate" a ceremony does sound sort of cheesy. I won't judge it until "I" personally see it.

I guess I don't mind what Disney does.. for the most part, because I do not go ALL the time. I'm lucky to go once a year, and before last year, we hadn't been in over three years! It was nice to go back and see a few new things, and Disney is still what it was to me. I've never really complained much about anything! I appreciate all that Disney tries to do to attract and try to KEEP attracting visitors.

Ceremony, celebration? Still does sound cheesy to me! I think flag retreating as somber.... it should be honorable... not celebratory. My son is in boy scouts... it's always very quiet, and honorable.

Vickie
    ~Dead Men Tell No Tales~

Quote Originally Posted by briansp View Post
    On my visit to Disneyland yesterday, I attended the flag retreat in town square. I have done this many times in the past.

I seem to recall that Disneyland has always referred to this as the Flag Retreat Ceremony.

Now, the voice over before it begins invites people to join in the Flag Retreat Celebration.

I'm sure that this change has everything to do with the Celebrate Today marketing hype.

My question is... Do we really celebrate the retiring of the flag? Is not ceremony the appropriate word? I see no issues in celebrating the flag... but I seem to have an issue with celebrating retreat.

BTW.. you mentioned you attended the retreat... was it still honorable then? Was there anything celebratory about it? If not, maybe they were trying to get people to try to attend this ceremony possibly. I've seen this ceremony, and usually it's pretty quiet, and not many around to watch...

Just a thought.

Vickie
    ~Dead Men Tell No Tales~

• Yo!

I heard the announcement, too, but could've sworn they still said "Flag Retreat Ceremony." That's what it said on the Times Guide. Oh well...
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I do have to ask, did it still feel like a ceremony? I haven't seen it for a while. Or did the security guardsstart dancing the "Pumping up the party"
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!