Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland with kids vs. without kids

Alrighty, here's the scoop.

My husband and I are debating whether we should go to Disneyland before or after we have kids. We were casually planning a trip to SoCal in early 2010, but now we're not so sure. I would love to go before, and he has never been. Then again I think about it, and figure we could have a better time going elsewhere (ie: Costa Rica, etc) and saving the magic for when we have kids and they're a bit older (5-10 yrs or so). We're not exactly millionaires so it's not like we can always travel, or do both in a short period of time.

So I'm asking you all, what would you reccomend? Should we wait to go to Disneyland until we have kids?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Disneyland with kids vs. without kids

DL is fun with or without kids. Different kinds of fun, though.

When are you going to have kids?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

You should do both.

Going without kids gives you freedom to ride whatever you want. You know your needs and desires without having to worry about providing ample food, rest, and entertainment for the young'uns. You won't cry (presumably) if you don't get to ride your favorite attraction, and you won't be as tempted to burn out on sugar and excitement early in the day, leaving you tired and cranky at the end. Going without kids is definitely a rewarding experience.

But.

Disneyland is a place for families. I have some amazingly magical memories from my early Disneyland visits. And you know what? My parents were having a great time, too. Seeing Disneyland through a child's eyes is a remarkable experience. To them, all this stuff is, in some sense, real. The park is an amazing and special place where anything could happen. You can't help but feel the same enchantment spill over into your own experience. You just have to make sure you're smart about your parenting style (e.g. not allowing your kids to be rude to other guests and making sure they understand that not everything will go exactly as they want it to in the park), and you have to understand that you may not get to do everything you personally want to do as an adult.

You should do both. I know cost is an issue, but if you do one trip next year and another in 5-10 years from now, it's not that big a deal. Find a good bargain, avoid buying food in the park, keep souvenir purchasing at a minimum, and don't feel the need to spend a week in the resort. Even one-day single-park tickets for Disneyland would be better than nothing!

In any case, I hope you, your husband, and - eventually - your kids have an amazing time in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    DL is fun with or without kids. Different kinds of fun, though.

When are you going to have kids?
    We're going to start trying in late 2010.

• Wishing upon a star....

I think you should go at least once before kids. It is fabulous with kids...but just very different. You and your husband should have fun being kids at heart and carefree before you go as parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    You should do both.

Going without kids gives you freedom to ride whatever you want. You know your needs and desires without having to worry about providing ample food, rest, and entertainment for the young'uns. You won't cry (presumably) if you don't get to ride your favorite attraction, and you won't be as tempted to burn out on sugar and excitement early in the day, leaving you tired and cranky at the end. Going without kids is definitely a rewarding experience.

But.

Disneyland is a place for families. I have some amazingly magical memories from my early Disneyland visits. And you know what? My parents were having a great time, too. Seeing Disneyland through a child's eyes is a remarkable experience. To them, all this stuff is, in some sense, real. The park is an amazing and special place where anything could happen. You can't help but feel the same enchantment spill over into your own experience. You just have to make sure you're smart about your parenting style (e.g. not allowing your kids to be rude to other guests and making sure they understand that not everything will go exactly as they want it to in the park), and you have to understand that you may not get to do everything you personally want to do as an adult.

You should do both. I know cost is an issue, but if you do one trip next year and another in 5-10 years from now, it's not that big a deal. Find a good bargain, avoid buying food in the park, keep souvenir purchasing at a minimum, and don't feel the need to spend a week in the resort. Even one-day single-park tickets for Disneyland would be better than nothing!

In any case, I hope you, your husband, and - eventually - your kids have an amazing time in the park.
    Datameister, you are awesome. I always enjoy reading your posts/trip reports/etc. You are so full of useful opinions and information! Thanks so much for your post, you really made me think about things I hadn't before. <33

• =)

Aww, you're sweet. Glad I could help. Seriously, though...do both! You won't regret it, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf75 View Post
    I think you should go at least once before kids. It is fabulous with kids...but just very different. You and your husband should have fun being kids at heart and carefree before you go as parents.
    I totally see your point. And this is why I'm torn, is because hubby has never really had the opportunity to travel anywhere out of the country except when he lived in Cape Town for a few years. But nothing other than that. I want to take him everywhere! I just know that if we don't go anywhere else than DLR before we have kids, it will be quite some time before we will have that opportunity again. I'm not big of taking small children on trips to Europe, Central America, or anything. I'd rather take them to somehwhere that's MEANT for kids, like DLR. Yanno?

SIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Aww, you're sweet. Glad I could help. Seriously, though...do both! You won't regret it, I promise!
    Yeah, I really do want to do both.

If I had my way, we'd just always travel and never have to worry about anything

But alas, life doesn't work quite like that.

if you are planning to have a honeymoon just left the kids..
    but its really fun with kids too..
    just do what you think...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I can't imagine having to wait over 5 years, or more to visit Disneyland, and/or Disney World. Then again, I couldn't afford a trip until I was 50. My first trip, to Disney World, was taken with my 4 year old grandson. It was a short trip only 4 nights, but we all had a great time.

Now I would rather visit Disneyland than anywhere else. Disney World is a close second. I have a great time whether I go alone, or whether I travel with my grandson, who is now 16.

I say, go to Disneyland as soon as you can save the money. If you fall in love with it, the way I did, you can then plan to take your future children there. In the meantime, you can save to travel to other places, until you feel those future children might enjoy a visit to the Happiest Place On Earth.

• Super

You could always go for a trip to Disneyland in Paris or Tokyo as part of a larger trip?!

Quote Originally Posted by whitealexander View Post
    if you are planning to have a honeymoon just left the kids..
    but its really fun with kids too..
    Well, I wouldn't really consider it to be a honeymoon seeing as we had our honeymoon almost a year and a half ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I can't imagine having to wait over 5 years, or more to visit Disneyland, and/or Disney World. Then again, I couldn't afford a trip until I was 50. My first trip, to Disney World, was taken with my 4 year old grandson. It was a short trip only 4 nights, but we all had a great time.

Now I would rather visit Disneyland than anywhere else. Disney World is a close second. I have a great time whether I go alone, or whether I travel with my grandson, who is now 16.

I say, go to Disneyland as soon as you can save the money. If you fall in love with it, the way I did, you can then plan to take your future children there. In the meantime, you can save to travel to other places, until you feel those future children might enjoy a visit to the Happiest Place On Earth.
    I know I'm in love with Disneyland/world, I've been to DLR twice and WDW once. I've also traveled to numerous other countries around the world which were just as awesome, although a different kind of awesome This is why I'm having such a hard time deciding.

We don't have kids (and never will) and we are going in 33 days. We think it is kind of funny because all of our friends without kids aren't super-interested in DL and in going with/or without kids; however, all of our friends with kids keep telling us how jealous they are and that they would love to go without them!!!

We are planning another trip, in October 2010, the month after our wedding, and a bunch of friends are coming with us (we are going to rent a house w/a pool near DL)......my borther and SIL are specifically joining us on that road trip because their kids will be 2.5yo and 1yo and won't realize mom and dad went to DL without them. Then they will take them when they are a little older

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast