Disneyland on New Year's Eve

Hello Mice-Chatters!

My family and I are planning our next trip to Disneyland during the holiday season.
    (Between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve)

We usually go to Disneyland during the summer months (every other summer) but this year, we wanted to see the park for the holidays. The pictures and videos we've seen are breathtaking but we're sure that's nothing compared to seeing it for the first time.

Also, we've never seen Haunted Mansion Holiday or It's a Small World Holiday....so we're pretty pumped about that. (They are still holiday themed and open at that time right?)

My question is this...
    What is the park like on December 31st? Is there any special midnight countdown or fireworks show on New Year's Eve?
    Does Disneyland even stay open until Midnight that night? (I know the Midnight park closing is usually summer, but didn't know if they did a special extended night for New Year's.
    We are trying to decide if we should go to the park early for three days...(28,29,30) or later (30,31,1st)

So, any advise and help would be appreciated. What's the Happiest Place on earth like on New Year's Eve?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland on New Year's Eve

The only reason we do DL on NYE, is because we are locals and can enjoy the park any other time. Otherwise, I would write off NYE for enjoying the parks. It will be packed from open to close. People will get there early and stake out spots in front of the castle for the fireworks.

If this is a once a year trip, I would not recommend NYE as one of the days.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGriffin View Post
    So, any advise and help would be appreciated. What's the Happiest Place on earth like on New Year's Eve?
    If you do go to the parks on NYE, please expect HUGE crowds at Disneyland and be prepared to wait up to an hour (sometimes longer) to buy food. The park is a madhouse and gets more and more crowded as the day goes on. Disneyland usually has to close its gates at some point to new guests.

However, we have gotten around these problems the last few years by shuffling off to DCA as soon as we can't take the Disneyland crowds any more. There is usually special entertainment at DCA (dance stages, DJs, etc.) and you can see the Disneyland fireworks from the Golden Gate Bridge area (if there isn't heavy fog as we had this year).

The other plus about DCA is that you can buy alcohol, which is a good thing for New Years Eve.

TIPS:

At Disneyland - Use FastPass and visit usually less crowded attractions such as Tiki Room, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Innoventions.

At DCA - You should be able to do just about anything you want. The lines may be a bit longer than usual, but we haven't had any trouble finding food, visiting attractions, or having a good time.

Disneyland usually has its regularly scheduled fireworks at 9:25 and NEW fireworks at midnight.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

One thing I noticed one a trip during New Years was that the fastpasses were all done by 1130ish, you couldn't get anymore, I remember getting a fastpass for space mountain at about 10:30am and the come back time was around 9pm. It was ridiculously busy. This year we went down the week after new years during the week and it was very quiet, so much better in my opinion.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Some of my best childhood (and grownup!) memories are from DL on New Year's Eve. As stated previously, expect ridiculous crowds. But also expect a great celebration. It's always fun, the fireworks are spectacular (as usual), and the closer it gets to midnight, the atmosphere just becomes so charged and happy.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Artsy Fartsy

Iv'e been to DL on NYE 4 years in a row. I don't mind the crowds or the crazy lines. But I also go alone. Iv'e seen what this day does to parents, I would try to avoid it actually. Unless you just wanted to go for the morning hours and do the rest of your celebrating at DCA. That is not too bad. Still long lines though. Hope that helps.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

Thanks everyone!

While we are not locals....(more's the pity) we consider ourselves Disneyland savy. (My wife grew up in Southern California and was a cast member herself many moons ago).
    We expect the crowds...but because we have a 7 year old, we may opt for the earlier trip...Maybe 28, 29, 30.

Other than Haunted Mansion and Small World...does any other ride have holiday theming?
    Hopefully the Jungle Cruise and Pirates will still be as usual.

Thanks again all.
    SO looking forward to our return to The Happiest Place on Earth....(or the Merriest Place on Earth).

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Other than Haunted Mansion and Small World...does any other ride have holiday theming?
    Hopefully the Jungle Cruise and Pirates will still be as usual.
    That's about it for the holiday rides (some tiny Christmas trees and decorations are often added to the Storybook ride as well). There will likely be a holiday parade and fireworks.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Disneymom

I love the decorations at Christmas, except HMH. Not a fan of that. Love the origional but not HMH. You'll have fun nomatter when you go but I do like the idea of lesser crowds. Especially with kids.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You've already gotten the opinions about New Year's Eve. While the other days between the 25th and 1st might be slightly better, you can expect crazy-busy crowds all through that week.

If there's no inclement weather, that historically is the park's busiest single week of the year.

Mentally prepare yourselves accordingly, and you'll have a great trip!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Really???

That's a surprise. I would have thought the Summer Months would be busier...but I guess that makes sense.

Still, we're looking forward to it. Been at Disneyland during the worst summer crowds (Submarine opening day!) and we survived that!

Thanks again all.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Really???

That's a surprise. I would have thought the Summer Months would be busier...but I guess that makes sense.

Still, we're looking forward to it. Been at Disneyland during the worst summer crowds (Submarine opening day!) and we survived that!

Thanks again all.
    I'm talking about the busiest single week of the year, as opposed to the summer season, which lasts three months or longer but normally does not have a stretch of days back-to-back like that one.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Sock Puppet

Murder, madness and mayhem!!!

That being said, we do enjoy our NYE's at the Resort.

We stay at the DLH and enjoy the Park til the festivities are over. Then it's easy to stagger back to our room and crash.

As far as going there to enjoy the rides and such, forget about it! LOL

We just go for the "ambience"...

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

well i'm sure you're mentally preparing for the madness now haha but the park stays open until 2AM on NYE. there are little 'parties' in front of the castle and small world in DL. they consist of an MC, dj, and a few characters i think. so they play non-disney music and have lighting effects. if you have young kids it may not be your scene if its really crowded and there's a lot of older people having their new years roudy fun haha. you should have a lot of fun if you can handle big crowds!

Thanks again all.
    I think we have decided to hit the park on the 27-28 and 29th, and spend New Year's eve itself with relatives etc.

We are so very excited about seeing the park in it's holiday glory.

Busy or not...here we come!