Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Street Party, are we fair critics?

Ok. I understand that not everyone is going to like, love, or enjoy the new street party. That understood, I read some of the reviews here and I am seeing such a huge disconnect between what is happening on the street and what the reviews say. You don't even need to see it in person to witness this disconnect, you can youtube it, and watch all the videos of it on youtube. I thought maybe I was at the only one that earned applause but going back to the youtube, that does not seem to be the case. Still There are so many reviews on here that can be summed up by "its terrible but the cast members are doing great". THAT is not fair to its performers just to flame it as horrible and then give that back handed compliment to those performers that you really appreciate the efforts they've put into this absolutely terrible entertainment venue Disneyland has come up with. Doing so does not take away the sting of these overly critical reviews that betray the applause live audiences are giving this "Street Party". Perspective. It was not meant to be the main parade but now it is. Not the best situation to be in still….. Dare I say, one of Disneyland's most legendary parades would have been nixed and burned to the ground if Miceage was around during Disneyland's 35th anniversary. Party Gras did not use Disney Music. It was a Miami Sound Machine Tribute, with Buster Poindexter's "Hot Hot Hot" thrown in for good measure. It was a very nonDisney Music Parade!!!!! Its true, if your reason for saying this street party is no good because it did not use classic disney songs, then you must agree the 35th Anniversary Party Gras had no business being in Disneyland and was a huge mistake that should have never been done. Additionally, the criticism about how the show stop creates bottle necks that imply Disneyland is struggling to over come the crowds? Its its so bad are are their crowds.... your just looking for reason to hate the new entertainment offerings. Disneyland has a long history of successful show stops. Party Gras had a show stop almost as long as this Street Party. Lion Celebration also had a very long show stop. So were these too mistakes that Disneyland just never learned from? I really, REALLY doubt there is a line at guest relations that *isn't* created by annual pass holders trying to motivate Disneyland to bring back POD or something similar.
    POD, in its prime anyway, was a reason to book a trip to Disneyland in and by itself. At least to some it was and I will say Street Party is not that. And you know what? That’s ok because MOST Disneyland parades aren't that either. Totally Minnie? The World According to Goofy? The 45th Anniversary Parade? These were just parades, and seriously the 45th anniversary parade was about as boring as it gets. Unlike Lion King Celebration and POD, they definitely were not reasons to book a trip to Disneyland. They were just….. another Parade in the long history of Disneyland parades. Many insist, including some reviews in print media, that you can call Street Party what ever you want, but at the end of the day it is a parade. I agree that the average guest will think of it as a parade. OK… NOT the end of the world. But it is the end of POD and suspect *that* really is the issue. POD was budget cut, and while I don't like it, its done. Groups like this effective kill Light Magic, and honesly it was not as bad as you would have read on-line. Tokyo's insanely popular Fantalusion might have recieve horrid reviews had it come in to replaced the most beloved yet vunerable MSEP. And while Light Magic was effectively killed off, it was replaced with........ so I would argue Street Party is far better then no party or parade at all.
    Its not greatest thing ever But its fun and enjoyable, and as long as I see guests clapping along, dancing with a character or performing, jumping at the chance to be in the conga line…. You know what…. I am ok with it.
    That all said, I do wish Disneyworld's Magic Kingdom had a following this passionate and this involved with every park happening as Disneyland clearly does. But sometimes I just read the critics on here and shake my head at the negative bandwagoning that happens. On the very same thread were almost EVERY written post about the new It’s a Small World seemingly says its just about the worst thing Disneyland could have done, was a poll that showed the Majority liked the changes. A landslide 60% thought highly of the changes and felt it improved the attraction while only 21% felt negative towards the changes. Granted the polls here are not scientific but there was, in the case of small world, a huge disconnect between the poll and the printed review. If one didn't look at the poll and just read the reviews you might never know that some liked it. Street Party's poll is not the same landslide but I would guess on a lesser extreme the same thing is happening to Disneyland's Street Party.

• Banned User

Re: Street Party, are we fair critics?

i actually liked it, thought it was full to the roof with energy and excitement!

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Honestly, I feel a lot of people here who bash the Street Party is because it replaced POD and didn't run ALONG with it. Sure, it's not full and upscale and extravagant, but it gets the job done and entertains guest. I think we critique a lot of things on this board because we've all seen the decline and incline of the parks through the years, how stuff can be done better, and everything. Given with the state the economy is how they're cutting back in the entertainment portion of both parks, I'm just glad that they created something! Sure, I'd take POD back in a heartbeat if I was able to, but I'm satisfied with this parade/street party/whatever you want to call it.

But hey, those who said they thought POD was outdated, old, and they wanted a new parade, looks like you got it! Enjoy it! I know I do!

• Make it Cool

Short answer: No, and it doesn't matter what we think. All that matters at the end of the day is what the tourists think.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Perhaps the polls aren't as well designed as they should be. A more accurate way to gage it really is to do how netflix or imdb has their movies graded; by a score or star system. There are so many degrees of liking and loving something just as there are with negative feelings.

With the case of Small World, a lot of people are just glad that the entire ride was redone and sparkling and are willing to 'tolerate' the additions, thus skewing the actual poll that way as well. Small World really is tricky because they did so much with it. Nobody hated the refurb but the characters were rather mixed but still scored favorably overall. The only thing people seem to really agree upon is how bad the America addition / Rain forest relocation was.

With Celebrate, it's still possible for someone to like it, but it's still entirely possible for that same person to say "but yah... it's not true Disney quality and I can understand why people don't care for it."

I was in favor of a new parade. And no, I didn't get what I was hoping for. What I got was a street party. Parades shouldn't be replaced with those. They should be adding the street party as a pre-show to the parade to entertain the waiting guests, complete with rare and random characters.

I don't hate Celebrate, but I do think it's crap and out of place... comparatively speaking. It's not even exciting visually. I believe guests have a specific expectation when it comes to Disneyland parades and for this to take the spot of one is disappointing.

I was old enough to see the Party Gras parade, THAT was a fun party. Much more celebration worthy than what they have now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    All that matters at the end of the day is what the tourists think.
    Actually, all that matters to Disney is what the tourists spend.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Haven't seen it, but I'd wager that yes, many of the people here are pretty fair, but more'n a few have probably been too harsh or too forgiving.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Actually, all that matters to Disney is what the tourists spend.
    THANK YOU! Disney really cares about MAKING MONEY these days.

• Disney is home

I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but what I have seen in pictures actually kind of brings me back to the past. I don't know why, but it just does. I love that they have Clarice in the parade. Parade of Dreams was great, but I'm not going to compare CASP to POD. I'm just happy to have something that guests can enjoy.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Yay whe're referring to it as CASP now! Anyway, the performers are doing a great job, but the parade is lackluster. You expect something a little more Disneyish.

And this is Micechat, of course the reviews are tainted. We love Disney.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Cherry Tart

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Still There are so many reviews on here that can be summed up by "its terrible but the cast members are doing great". THAT is not fair to its performers just to flame it as horrible and then give that back handed compliment to those performers that you really appreciate the efforts they've put into this absolutely terrible entertainment venue Disneyland has come up with. Doing so does not take away the sting of these overly critical reviews that betray the applause live audiences are giving this "Street Party".
    Thank you for pointing that out. I've seen a lot of people saying similar things, that the Cast Members are great but the overall production of the parade is poor. But I think you need to look at it from the CM's point of view. In their eyes, they ARE the parade. They've been there since day one of rehearsals, pouring their talent and skill into this show, supporting it, giving it their all, and you can see that in their performance on stage.

And yet people here just don't really seem to care. I know there are plenty who do, but like you said, that doesn't take away the sting of the heartless comments I've been reading here on these boards. People can say all they want that their criticism has nothing to do with the CMs themselves, but when those performers read these boards, they ARE going to take offense.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. I've seen a lot of people saying similar things, that the Cast Members are great but the overall production of the parade is poor. But I think you need to look at it from the CM's point of view. In their eyes, they ARE the parade. They've been there since day one of rehearsals, pouring their talent and skill into this show, supporting it, giving it their all, and you can see that in their performance on stage.

And yet people here just don't really seem to care. I know there are plenty who do, but like you said, that doesn't take away the sting of the heartless comments I've been reading here on these boards. People can say all they want that their criticism has nothing to do with the CMs themselves, but when those performers read these boards, they ARE going to take offense.

I haven't seen the parade or formed an opinion on it one way or the other. However, I wanted to make a comment on the philosophies of critiquing in general. What's wrong with stating an opinion that the material is weak but the performers are strong? The CMs might disagree and think the material is wonderful, or they might hope that people will like the parade regardless of the material because of all the work they've put into it, but unless they designed the parade themselves, I don't see why they would get "offended." (And even the designers, if they're professionals working for DL, should be used to criticism - even if they prefer praise, which I think most people would ). Do you think there should be no negative opinions expressed about any new piece of DL entertainment on a DL discussion board?

In a way, it could be taken as a compliment. The parade's critics are saying that the talented Cast Members deserve better material .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I haven't seen the parade or formed an opinion on it one way or the other. However, I wanted to make a comment on the philosophies of critiquing in general. What's wrong with stating an opinion that the material is weak but the performers are strong? The CMs might disagree and think the material is wonderful, or they might hope that people will like the parade regardless of the material because of all the work they've put into it, but unless they designed the parade themselves, I don't see why they would get "offended." (And even the designers, if they're professionals working for DL, should be used to criticism - even if they prefer praise ). Do you think there should be no negative opinions expressed about any new piece of DL entertainment on a DL discussion board?
    Very well said.

Professional performers participate in bad shows all the time. In fact these performers likely dislike the show as much as the audience does. But they do it because either they need the money, or perhaps they want to work with a certain producer or director. Or maybe they do it simply because they like to perform for the sake of performing and they don't care how terrible the show actually is.

I would think the majority of the entertainment CMs really don't care how good or bad the show really is as long as their talent isn't being criticized. And in this case the performers in Celbrate is certainly one of this show's bright spots.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Ok. I understand that not everyone is going to like, love, or enjoy the new street party.

etc.
    Sorry to nitpick, but please try using the invention of paragraphs.

I found the message almost intolerable to read because it seemed to textually ramble on and on.

• Banned User

I agree with a lot that you've said. I've said it before here, several times, we're all too spoiled. Nothing Disney ever does will be able to please everyone. POD was a beautiful parade, but without a lot of interaction, kind of like an art exhibition on wheels. CASP isn't POD, I don't think it's trying to be a 'parade,' but people like to be so nitpicky with the term. You have to see CASP for what it is and not hold it up to the same standards as POD.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast