Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Your Own Original Attraction

We've all talked about how much we want a non-movie tie-in attraction but I have yet to see any ideas. What would you do? It's hard to come up with original ideas will remaining true to Disneyland. And when I say "original" I mean a completely new idea not just a rip-off from another ride.

I would love to see something done in Frontierland with a stage coach. It would be a ride through the frontier's dangers. You could utilize the RoA and the DLRR. They could use new animatronics for animals and people and really push the limits of today’s technology. They could possible theme it after Davy Crockett and follow scenes from the film including the riverboats. I haven’t completely thought it through but you get the idea.

^^I just now realized the irony of the Movie tie-in thing

*Points at self and laughs*
    Last edited by Dirton; 09-23-2005 at 08:09 AM.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs up Re: Your Own Original Attraction

Creating a new and unique attraction is really quite easy. Getting Disney to open their wallets and fund something especially cool is not.

My idea?
    Stuntman: The Ride
    You are a camera crew following Hollywood's greatest stuntman through the streets of LA in order to capture all of his stunts on film. You, the camera crew, race through the streets and in the air in a fantastic vehicle that spins, slides, cruises and jumps in order to keep pace with the action star.

Not bad, eh? I've got a million of them. Seems this one would fit nicely in DCA too. It's a shame the suits can't see past movie tie-ins these days.

• U. B. Bold

Re: Your Own Original Attraction

They should build the "Western River Adventure" in Frontierland North of Big Thunder Mt. This was a "Wild West" themed POTC style attraction that was planned at the same time as Big Thunder (mid 1970s). No movie tie-ins what so ever, just great, imaginative Disney-type fun. It it where built with the same care and attention to detail that was lavished on Pirates it would be an instant hit with guests and a needed boost to Frontierland's roster of attractions.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• I'm listening to KDROID

Not quite an original, but maybe it would add some originality to the coaster that Disney has in DCA; an amalgamation of two rides:

"Screaming Through California"

This would be the California-themed rollercoaster that would have made the park infamous, the one for which there would be an hour line everyday (blahblahblahplayupmyegoblahblah). Not for the faint of heart, this would have been the attraction for those who thought Soarin' was lame and Screamin' was unimaginative. This indoor rollercoaster would be the answer to the Aerosmith's Rock n' Rollercoaster in Florida.

You would start out in the launch pad, dressed to look like an airplane hangar. You will hear the countdown preparing you for launch, and as it nears zero, drums start kicking in, and you launch off dramatically (because I'm such a nutzoid for his music, I'm gonna say the music is Joe Satriani's "Up in the Sky") as the music kicks into full force.

As an indoor attraction, there will be certain areas themed to fit certain locales of the attraction, in separate "rooms" if you will, that allow you to get a much closer, more intimate view than the sky-high views provided by its motion-simulated sister. Instead of soaring over everything, Disney has provided models of the places in which you visit, and other key points of interest. They won't be to scale, no, and won't be accurate according to a map, but they will have intimate, PotC-level detail in the scenes they do create. Many scenes will change their scale sizing in order to preserve a sense of greater altitude and speed at which you are "flying". And the track won't be identical to Screamin', it would just borrow some elements.

You start off after launching. As you ascend you see you are climbing one of the support cables for the Golden Gate bridge, and after it drops away, you rise for a bit before turning down, and you're at the end in the heart of San Fransisco, having had your flowers blown out of your hair (sorry, hadda do it). A few of the famous SF locales are thrown in, including a winding snaking road which you do ride down in your coaster train (perhaps altered a bit to seem accurate). You cross back under the golden gate bridge, riding just over the water, to enter the next room: The redwood forest.

Redwood has you riding down the river much like Soarin, with AA people interacting on either side of you. But instead of being satisfied with a leisurely ride over the river, your train races towards a model of the forest, and you find yourself cutting through the thick with the most hair-raising and precise hairpin turns. It would be kind of like living the Endor chase from RotJ. There would be a part in which you would find yourself heading towards a blockage in your path, looking as though you were going to crash, before circling around a tree twice or three times and heading another way out. You cut through some more thick trees before entering the next showroom: Laguna Beach.

In Laguna would be a locationally inaccurate model of your pier-side carnivals, and it would also mysteriously connect to San Pedro Island, but I'll get to that. You find yourself careening through beachfront property, only to cut down an alley and find yourselves licking the top of the waves as AA surfers do hang ten. You would bunny hop over the water as if riding the waves yourselves. After playing in the surf, you would cut on over to the simulated carnival, where you would have your obligatory loop (right next to the faux-coaster which has its own) before cutting back over to the water and haging a sharp turn to find yourself in a docking harbor. Here you dodge ocean liners and the sort until you find yourself cutting over the docks and entering a building, the other side of which leads you to your next room: Ski Resort.

Here, you would burst out of the side of the mountain and "ski" along with a couple AAs down a slippery slope, before making a "jump" and finding yourself alongsize a not-so-snowy mountain, a valley in which you fly behind the waterfall, and circle around the water a few times before flying off into the next room: San Diego.

In SD you would ride around the bays and downtown, before cutting sharply into the water (there's a little tube that you're riding in, so nothing gets wet) and you get to see the wonders of the ocean floor. Or maybe not, who really wants to know what goes under the water where you can't see? As you cut back up, you would find yourself approaching a aircraft carrier, where you would "land" and stop, your adventure over.

Yeah... too much borrowing from other rides and video games for me ^.^()

• Element of Laughter

I'd like to see a ride based on the video game Kingdom Hearts. Think about it, a game where a boy teams up with Donald Duck and Goofy to save Mickey Mouse would be a natural for Disneyland.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

A Lilo and Stitch dark ride. Also they should do something in the lake in the middle of DCA. Maybe bring back the motor boat cruise / variation of. Thats a lot of real estate there that is unused.

Also I think it has been shown that there is quite a large fan base for Nightmare. Maybe a Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride, or a simulator ride like 'Star Tours' but instead of having it in outer space, you can be in the back of Jacks Sleigh and you are following Zero on Jacks flights.

With Starcade, maybe they can make it into a giant VR game set up. If Disney management gets back on Lucas's good side, maybe they could make a VR of a space dogfight where you are in pods flying rebel fighters against imperial fighters.

Just my 2 cents.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Senior Minion

Walt Disney On Ice. Over by the opera house, they put a wax figure in a tube (just like Lenin), and have fog come out the bottom. Once every hour, it blinks, and if you see it, you get a free mini-churro.

The Orginal Poster asked for ideas for orginal ideas without movie tie-ins and not based on any Disney movie, attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, and Space Mountain are just some of the attractions totally original in itself, not based on anything, but fantasy and history. But all the ideas on this thread are based on movies or games.

I would love to see a shuttle loop roller coaster be built in Frontierland in the Festival Arena area. Riders blast out of a canyon/mountain type formation and into a giant 360 degree loop, then up a 90 degree tower. Gravity pulls the train backwards into the loop again sends rider past the station and into a rear tower that is also 90 degrees. No shoulder harnesses, just a lap bar and seat belt. The ride would start on the edge of Fantasyland/Frontierland border and zoom towards the Rivers of America. The 90 degree tower would be at the banks of the River, where the fomer Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland mountain used to be. I call it, Curse of Cobra. I get the idea from Knott's Berry Farm's MonteZooma's Revenge, but, of course, Disney would have more themeing to their coaster. Plus, the ride itself wouldn't take up as much of space as it is just a straight track. That would be great, you're walking along Big Thunder Trail, on one side, you hear a runaway mine train with the familiar trains noises, while on the other side, you hear the roar of Curse of Cobra and screams of riders daring to challenge the Cobra.

• insufferable know-it-all

I've detailed plans for it elsewhere, but I'd like to see a Space Mountain-esque Volcano ride. I'll post a link if I can find the post, rather than mucking up this thread with it.

Here it is: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=30
    You have to scroll down to "Phase II" to see it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My Children's Father

I would propose a personal water craft ride in the lake next to Paradise Pier. As you leave the dock (loading area), your PWC (a very large wave-runner-type vehicle, seating for five or six similar to Splash Mountain) would head out into the surf, jumping off the waves coming in. At some point, you would turn around and ride a wave in. You may go out and back several times before setting a course back to the loading area.

The ride vehicle would actually be traveling on some sort of track below the water (like the subs). But the part of the vehicle where the passengers sit would be connected to the part on the track with some sort of telescoping shock-absorber type setup that allows the passenger compartment to rise and fall (within limits) with the artificially produced waves.

The ride could also be populated with animatronic marine life, periscopes and/or surfers.

Besides adding a much-needed new ride to DCA, it would provide some kineticism to the water at the Paradis Pier area, something that is sorely missing.

BTW, if this sounds familiar, I've posted this idea before .......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I've detailed plans for it elsewhere, but I'd like to see a Space Mountain-esque Volcano ride. I'll post a link if I can find the post, rather than mucking up this thread with it.

Here it is: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=30
    You have to scroll down to "Phase II" to see it.
    I love this idea. Similar to mine.

Have a volcano themed ride that uses Mine cars. While touring the mine, lava breaks through and knocks the car off course into a lava river. The river would be made by a substance similar to "GAK" but less dense. For the glow, black lights would be used. Instead of a coaster though, I would like to see the indy technology. The difference would be that the car would appear to be floating on this lava. I am unfamilar with the rides "Journey to the center of the Earth" & "Everest", so I have no idea if this is a rip off.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    I would propose a personal water craft ride in the lake next to Paradise Pier. As you leave the dock (loading area), your PWC (a very large wave-runner-type vehicle, seating for five or six similar to Splash Mountain) would head out into the surf, jumping off the waves coming in. At some point, you would turn around and ride a wave in. You may go out and back several times before setting a course back to the loading area.

The ride vehicle would actually be traveling on some sort of track below the water (like the subs). But the part of the vehicle where the passengers sit would be connected to the part on the track with some sort of telescoping shock-absorber type setup that allows the passenger compartment to rise and fall (within limits) with the artificially produced waves.

The ride could also be populated with animatronic marine life, periscopes and/or surfers.

Besides adding a much-needed new ride to DCA, it would provide some kineticism to the water at the Paradis Pier area, something that is sorely missing.

BTW, if this sounds familiar, I've posted this idea before .......

Familiar or no, this is kinda a cool idea as well. Kudos.

Peace
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Resident DL'er

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    I love this idea. Similar to mine.

Have a volcano themed ride that uses Mine cars. While touring the mine, lava breaks through and knocks the car off course into a lava river. The river would be made by a substance similar to "GAK" but less dense. For the glow, black lights would be used. Instead of a coaster though, I would like to see the indy technology. The difference would be that the car would appear to be floating on this lava. I am unfamilar with the rides "Journey to the center of the Earth" & "Everest", so I have no idea if this is a rip off.
    I really like that idea, it fits well into how you picture a "disneyland ride" as opposed to something you can find at any other theme park, like simple thrill rides and such. You would probably have to change it up enough so that it doesn't remind visitors of Indiana, though!

Dragon Towers - A failed "virtual" attraction

As a matter of fact, I did design this over-the-top attraction for a failed CG project. The fun thing was that, given enough (make it "lots of" money) it was enteirely feasible with existing real-world technology. Here it goes, straight from the first design document (missing the very last part, for it was described by a storyboard):

The attraction is composed of the following sections:

• Queue area and preshow
    • “Door to magic” laboratory dungeon
    • Up the tower themed effects
    • Crumbling Bridge crossing
    • Leonardian Lab
    • Slide escape
    • Dragon attack
    • Surprise slide extension postshow
    • Exit area

Story
    The attraction is housed within a crumbling castle, whose ruins can be seen throughout the park and currently amount mostly to two twin towers connected by a rickety stone arch. One of them has become lair to a greedy and very dangerous dragon, while the other seems to be held upright only by one last remaining rampart, and housed the former owner’s laboratory and a still working complex wooden animated clock on the outside.

The guests enter the better-looking tower’s basement to search for a wonderful treasure buried somewhere in its depths by the dragon. During the queue they learn from ancient and forgotten automata that the castle once belonged to an alchemist and inventor who delighted in building spectacular and whimsical Leonardesque vehicles – which most often didn’t work and caused all sort of troubles. Then, one day, the inventor stumbled on a powerful magic force and tried to harness it, but this resulted in a huge explosion that destroyed most of the castle.
    After a number of downward ramps, the guests finally reach a ruined room right below the dragon’s lair. The only exit, in fact, is through a crack in the wall which is partially hidden by the swinging tip of the tail of the huge beast, which is sleeping in the room right above and can be seen through the cracks in the creaking ceiling.

The guests run past the tail in small groups of ten adventurers, and enter the remains of the alchemical laboratory of the inventor. They sneak around fallen wooden beams and piles of rocks, behind which chemistry equipments and strange instruments can be seen, sometimes sparkling briefly of residual magic. The guests go down a short stone stair to the heart of the laboratory, and they are confronted with a magical portal, shimmering in the darkness. Passing through its eerie light, they find themselves in a passage sloping and turning downward, whose walls seem strangely alive, and finally in a mystic and dimly lit room, where water is slowly dripping… from the floor toward the ceiling! Here a second magical portal awaits them: behind it there’s a pitch black place where ghostly voices echo and a very strong wind seem to twirl them around. When everybody has gone through the portal, it disappears and the shiny outline of an opening door immediately appears next to it – going through it, the adventurers find themselves… right on top of one of the castle’s twin towers!

How can they be up there if all their movements were pointing down? And worse still, looking down from the metal grills in the floor and the cracks in the tall balcony which goes round the tower, the ground seems to be even far below than expected! Also, the park has become haunted by some evil spell. But there’s no time to think: the sound of mighty flapping wings and a roar announces the coming of the dragon, looking for the intruders. Its enormous claw appears over the ruins right beside the door whence the guests came, urging them to move around the balcony to look for a way out. Unfortunately, the sight they find before them on the other side of the tower is dismaying: the only escape route is a stone bridge toward a second tower. A crumbling bridge and an even crumbling tower, that is.

The bridge is creaking and puffs of dust from the falling stones make it look even more unstable, but mustering all their courage, the adventurers start walking along the creaking arch. Its surface unfortunately is very uneven, with some stone blocks tilting and rattling under the guests’ steps, but there is no turning back. Heavy wooden double doors slam behind the adventurers on hinges twisted by the imminent fall of the bridge, so they must go on the whole 15 meters length of the bridge, through the sounds of howling wind and failing stone, through the falling dust and the occasional roar from the dragon, which can be heard just below them. Awaiting them is the second tower, so broken and twisted it is a miracle it’s still standing.

This tower houses the vehicles’ lab of the inventor. Another forgotten automata urges the adventurers to move along a series of spectacular work benches which forces the guests to move in twos, toward a weird machine which bangs, clunks and whirrs on the other side of the room. The machine happens to be a slidebuilder, the last, unfinished invention of the former owner of the castle. It continuously spits out very strange slides roughly resembling wooden superbikes, which another automata instructs the guests to ride in twos, almost lying on their bellies. The automata closes the side panel, encasing the adventurers in the strange vehicle, and sends it along, wishing a half-hearted “good luck”.

The slide lurches behind a corner, and faces… a crack in the wall, through which only thin air can be seen! Of course the slide goes right through it, and down a steep drop on the back of a rampart. Yet it is blocked by debris, so the vehicle banks, take a sharp turn and apparently jumps off a section of slide ending in midair, landing with a bump onto another stone slide heading back inside the crumbling tower. Here it takes a parabolic turn and it spirals down, passing just below a rumbling waterfall coming out of the failing walls and over a wheel connected to some axles going somewhere. There’s a short drop, and the slide seems to go toward a terribly dangerous and even incomplete loop… but just before engaging it another sudden turn takes the vehicle back outside the tower. Yet it no occasion to celebrate, as the vehicle is sliding in direct collision course with the side of a huge wooden wheel of the clock on the outside of the castle, slowly moving and obviously connected somehow to the water-powered axles. Luckily the wheel has a few broken parts, and the vehicle manages to speed right through one of it finding itself inside the tower again, now in its misty basement. Here the slide take a majestic spiral beside the fabled magical source, looking like a glowing stone from which blue and red beams projects out.

Coming out of the mist in the source area, the vehicle is finally coming to a rest in the remains of the castle’s rooms. It crawls through an abandoned bedroom, a dusty throne room, and it finally enters the treasure room, filled to the ceiling with untold riches… but after going round a mountain of golden coins and jewels, the vehicle finds itself face to face with the dragon, which rises, roars and blasts a fireball right in front of the adventurers, opening a hole in the ground. As everything starts to collapse, the slide take a sharp plunge down in the darkness, going round a tinkling giant stream of treasures disappearing down in the center of the Earth, followed by the dragon. Then, as the rumble of the falling castle becomes deafening, a shimmering magical portal appears and the vehicle flies through it, finally at rest and slowly rising again to surface among a million of magic bubbles. After a short while, the slide finally comes to a stop, and an attendant helps the adventurers out of the vehicle, pointing them to the themed exit and shop… and presenting them with a souvenir chocolate coin of their wonderful adventure.

Effects analysis

Queue area and preshow
    Two speaking and moving animatronic automata. Nothing really special to them.
    The dragon’s tail room is actually the entrance to two different and adjacent doors disguised as one single crack in the wall: the tail acts as a door which forces the guests to enter only one room at a given time. The movement is controlled by photocells or other optical recognition solutions, which serve to rigidly limit the access to the following section to ten persons’ groups. As soon as the tenth person approaches the passage, the tail moves to close this passage and open the other one.

“Door to magic” laboratory dungeon
    There are actually two full lab dungeons, built on twin elevator platforms. Each maze is an array of rooms on two levels: the guests enter the platform from the upper level, and move downwards to an exit in the lower level.
    The magic equipment is moved by servos and lighted in sync with the soundtrack’s cues.
    The magic portal is a frame emitting a laser foil from above and microsmoke from one side to make the laser more visible. The smoke is sucked toward the opposite side of the frame by small fans, so as not to disperse in the rooms it connects. Pressure pads allow the portal to know how many guests have gone through it to cue different effects.
    The living walls are translucent silicone, behind which there is a mechanical wheel equipped with eccentric rolls (to push and move the wall) and lights (to backlight it).
    The rising droplets effect is obtained through backlighting synchronized to the regularly dropping droplets, and the portal is a duplicate of the former.
    The wind is created by an industrial fan well recessed behind a security netting in the wall, whose noise is supposedly drowned out by the ghosts’ wails recording.
    As soon as the last guest has left the platform (as revealed by a weight check), it comes back down as quick as possible for another load.

Up the tower
    The enhanced height effects are done in two different ways. The grills in the floor are placed directly above pit-like tubes, which force the eye to look directly below the grill, obstructing any lateral view. But they are not pointing at the actual park, but at a scale model of a “haunted” version of it, built into a depression in the center of an elevated ridge below. This way the model cannot be seen from street level. The model park has limited animation and lighting effects, provided through mechanics and front projection.
    The lateral views, through the cracks in the wall, similarly force the eye to look into a double lens mirror, reflecting another “haunted model”.
    The dragon sounds are of course recordings, made more effective by subsonics which make the air “tingle and tremble”.
    The dragon’s claw is a quite standard animatronic.

Crumbling bridge crossing

The bridge is of course very solid, with tall sides preventing the guests to look below.
    All of the sounds are prerecorded, again with subsonic enhancements.
    The puffs of dust are just demineralized water (to avoid long term tube clogging), very thinly vaporized from hidden tubes in the “rocks”.
    The tilting floor tiles are seesaws with a center pivot, very low in order not to injure the guests any way, but sufficient to give a slightly-more-than-subliminal feeling of unstability.
    The rattling tiles are mounted on supports shaken by an eccentrically-weighted motor.
    The closing doors are motorized, and activated as soon as a weight or infrared cell check on the section before them confirms that all the guests have passed through.

Leonardian lab
    The automata are standard animatronics, characterized by quite clunky movements enhanced by creaking sound effects.
    The slide-producing machine is the exit point of a chain elevator, bringing back up the slides which have completed their round in the ride. All the exaggerated sound effects are recorded.
    Before allowing the slide to go and the following to be brought up, different optical checks are made to ensure that the guests are properly seated and positioned.

Slide escape

• Slide escape
    • Dragon attack
    • Surprise slide extension postshow
    • Exit area

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I've always had an idea for a Tomorrowland ride that would replace HISTA. If I ever get around to explaining it in full detail, I'll post it on a thread somewhere around here.

Anyway, it would be a ride loosely (Big emphasis there) based on ATIS called "Adventure Through the Inner Mind." To make a long story short, guests are recruited to be a part of an experiment in which they can be transported (in Omnimovers, of course) into the human mind. Specifically, the mind of one person of whom the guests will be introduced to without any prior knowledge other than his/her occupation and will end up knowing intimately due to what they seen in their subconcious.

It sounds complicated and dull, I know, but it really is fascinating when I explain it fully. At least, to me it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast