Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12345122752102 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney's California Adventure Project Tracker IV

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    This is post #15 - which is already .75% of the way to 2000 and the need for Project Tracker V!

Anyway, the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is supposed to close for refurbishment on April 27. Doesn't that sound like a good time to put walls up around Golden Dreams and begin demolition?
    Sounds kinda far away, can't they start sooner.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Wow, another tracker all ready!

Do you guys know if they will have a light version of WofC when the weather won't permit some of the bigger effects?

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    A quick question: Is Mickey's face going to be 3D or flat?

I know that this topic was being discussed in the former tracker. I guess we will know for sure in a few short weeks!
    It is believed it will be 3-D, based on some concept art... also, it's interesting to note that according to the model, there might be another Mickey on the back of the wheel, which was the source of some debate a while back.

Question: The giant platform made of smaller platforms that now resides in the DCA bay, is the black material on top the base for the fountains, a screen mesh they shoot through, anyone know? MintCrocodile : photos : Disneyland Resort 4/3/09- powered by SmugMug

Any guesses what the blue boxes underneath are?
    MintCrocodile : photos : Disneyland Resort 4/3/09- powered by SmugMug

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Question: The giant platform made of smaller platforms that now resides in the DCA bay, is the black material on top the base for the fountains, a screen mesh they shoot through, anyone know? MintCrocodile : photos : Disneyland Resort 4/3/09- powered by SmugMug
    I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, I'm also wondering why they built a big platform on stilts instead of a more conventional concrete enclosed area filled with dirt. That platform looks to be about 8-10 feet tall (based on men standing near it). So why not build a big retaining wall around the whole thing, fill it up to 10' with dirt, put the platform on top of that, with whatever necessary mechanical/fountain elements that are needed embedded underneath? Do they need water flowing underneath the platform?

• DCA FTW!

It may be used as a platform later on but there have been pics of equipment being installed under them. Also, if you look at the pics further you can see they're just resting on top of the stilts, the blue part might actually contain the equipment for setup, but I'm purely speculating at this point.

I'm thinking they'll end up similar to the ones scene HERE. (Bellagio fountain Construction pics)
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Just checked the Mattercam looks like the blue is finished on the starburst!!
    "If you want breakfast in bed sleep in the kitchen!"

• Dreaming of Disney...

Wow # 4. By the end of construction there will be like 10.
    This is a great thing to have thanks keep it going.

• HauntedOne999

I think due to the size and scale of the show the platforms are there so when they do work on any of the equipment they wont need divers... the main water level will probably only be about 3"-6" above the platform and then they just have to drain the lagoon a little and send a boat out and the workers can walk around. The lagoon may even be set up to be drained down abit each night for a check which means the lagoon will probably have a large water cyclying plant somewhere backstage like how the subs do.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• HauntedOne999

Since GD will start demo sometime at the end of this month or next month... whats going to happen to the mural? is it painted on concrete or is it like a poster (like how they do the posters in front of the cinema on MS)?

if it is a poster type thing then do you think it should be put somewhere in the park? the image itself embodies everything about california and tells its own story.

• Banned User

WOOOOOO HOOOO!!!!!! Project Tracker IV!!!!!!!!!!! We need to start taking bets as to how many Project Trackers we're all going to go through before this whole thing is said and done. So, any updated news on the Fun Wheel's Progress?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Well, those power lines are AC, plus the birds aren't grounded. I'm thinking we put a ground wire in the nose and then run DC power straight through that nose
    AC/DC doesn't matter.. both require a loop for current to flow.. that's why the birds can hang out on the wires. They float to the potential of the wire and don't complete a circuit to anywhere. Birds need to complete a circuit to get a shock.. hence the mesh idea Build a mesh that allows a circuit to be complete when a little footie stands/sits on it shorting between the segments Technical aside tho.. it does seem like a legit concern, but DCA seems to make due in other areas of the park without what appears to be active stuff. I wonder what sort of bird control they use, since they don't have nearly the freedom WDW has (which lots of methods)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, I'm also wondering why they built a big platform on stilts instead of a more conventional concrete enclosed area filled with dirt
    Serviceability. Why bury your equipment if you don't have to? Why disturb your large water barrier in place more then you have to? Concrete isn't cheap

All of these water jets will be quite tall and will need servicing in the future. So why bury them which would require you to dig them out again in the future? Vs being able to go in with a diver or draining the thing to work on stuff.

A structure like this allows the existing water barrier to be reused = less concrete and gives you lots of flexibility.

Notice how in one of the recent photos there is are entire assemblies that are able to be set in and supported by the beams?

Such as this (this one is not set in yet.. but you can see it in later photos from 4/2 what it looks like installed

Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

What perplexes me the most about the platform is... trying to figure out if its actually a finish material or just a structure used for construction.

If you look at the photos.. the steel 'grid' that makes up the platform does not appear to be secured to the pedestals.. it looks like it's just sitting on top. I can't see any bolting or welding marks where the 'grid' meets the pedestals. It's like its just sitting there.. kind of inferring its temporary to facilitate construction. I do see in some photos (where I can't get a clean enough look) there appears to be flanges coming out where the grid sections meet, but not on all sections.

Yet the grid itself looks too robust (in both paint, and girth) to just be just a temporary structure. And the pedestals themselves look very permanent... It just looks like too much just to be a construction-only structure, but some details are curious.

But other things look wierd. Such as.. if you look at this photo

These structures look like the top flips up to the right (note the hinges). Yet, in another photo, you see one of these UNDER the continuous platform.

Look at the one to the left of the big black 'machine' in the lower left of the photo. It's under the platform. But even more curious.. look.. there is no pedestal UNDER the corner of that part of the platform.. it's behind held up by the black armature thing it looks like.

I also wonder what the 'bins' are mounted to the platform sections. If you look at the platform 'grid', you can see blue and black what appear to look like rubbermaid bins mounted to the underside.

Oh what I would give for a conversation with a PM on this..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    Since GD will start demo sometime at the end of this month or next month... whats going to happen to the mural? is it painted on concrete or is it like a poster (like how they do the posters in front of the cinema on MS)?

if it is a poster type thing then do you think it should be put somewhere in the park? the image itself embodies everything about california and tells its own story.
    I am sure it is a poster type or something removable. But it is gone, and it needs to stay that way. Where would you put the mural anyways? It's huge!

• HauntedOne999

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    I am sure it is a poster type or something removable. But it is gone, and it needs to stay that way. Where would you put the mural anyways? It's huge!
    It would be awesome to see it put in a museum somewhere... but i mean there are alot of places it could go. I would love to see it at Griffith Park.

Turned into a billboard type sound shield...decorative billboard on a wall outside the property along I-5 or even Katella... decoration for the tram route...