Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lycanthropic Tendencies

Splash Mountain slight problem

I meant to post this sooner, but on Monday i was at DL for my friend's birthday, and during the nite time we went on Splash, not a very bright idea considering i got soaked twice lol. but then again we were sitting up front. ok anyways during the last drop when ur going up and up and up, the ride stopped at the very top. i have to say that was a little frightening to say the least, i know its a safe ride but i just kept thinking of us dropping backwards or something lol. thats why i hate certain roads here where they have a light at the top of a very steep hill. anyways we also could hear a cast member telling one of the riders about putting about putting their shirt back on, she said this a couple of times, i guess one of the guested decided they're at the beach lol. anyways has the ride ever stopped at this part for any one else here?
    "Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop to take a look around once in a while you could miss it."

Lucas

• I'm not really here

Re: Splash Mountain slight problem

Splash stops from time to time, but there is no danger of falling backwards. You know the loud clacking noises as you go up the hill? Those are metal guards you are passing. As you go up, the log pushes them into the side of the track, but once you pass, the pop back out. They are like triangles with the flat part facing up hill. If you do slip backwards down the hill it will only be for about 4 - 5 feet before you are stopped by one of these pairs of blocks.

It can be a bit unnerving to stop on a hill, but they are very safe. My wife was actually stopped about 10 feet below the top of the final lift hill once before we met.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Splash has never done that for me. It does usually stop before you go up the final lift, with the scene involving the two vultures. It can have a log jam every once in a while, but other than that, you're pretty safe. As for the top, I can't say.

Been stopped on the lift many times. In 98 at DL, we were evacuated from the ride about halfway up the lift. Kind of interesting to walk through the backstage area on the way out. Once at WDW, I was stopped just at the crest of the hill, but it restarted within a few minutes. Most recently at WDW, one of the guys in our boat (sitting ahead of us) got scared and jumped out of the boat and exited through a door. The ride was stopped forever as they had to locate the guy before they could restart the ride. We didn't know him, but I really had to go to the bathroom by the time I got off the ride.

• Sock Puppet

We've been stopped on it on the way up, but not at the top.

It can be unsettling, but it only lasted a few moments and then we were on our way.

Did you see the hidden CM at the bottom before you go up?

We always say hi to him/her. Sometimes we even get a response!

• HauntedOne999

Ive never stopped all the way at the top but on the lift hill... always hate when it starts back up almost feels like whiplash.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Senior Monorail Minion

The CM at the bottom watches a video monitor of the lift and loks out onto the lift. He/ she is there to prevent people from standing up and apparently keep them from undressing. The have an E-Stop button to stop the lift and of course a link to the PA system to address those naughty visitors.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• De la Terre la Luke

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    We've been stopped on it on the way up, but not at the top.

It can be unsettling, but it only lasted a few moments and then we were on our way.

Did you see the hidden CM at the bottom before you go up?

We always say hi to him/her. Sometimes we even get a response!
    I'd always read about him/her, so before I went to DL, I made a mental note to look for the CM. But when we rode Splash Mountain, I was so distracted by the amazingness of it, I completely forgot!

I totally missed my chance, but hopefully I'll be able to visit soon and have a look!

• Trouble a'Bruin

the hidden cm scared my whole boat once. the ride stopped when we were right next to him and he popped out of NO WHERE to speak to the boat in front of us.
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing-it was all started by a mouse

Quote Originally Posted by wanderw1 View Post
    the hidden cm scared my whole boat once. the ride stopped when we were right next to him and he popped out of NO WHERE to speak to the boat in front of us.
    (Makes mental note to look out for the scary CM at the bottom of the beginning of the climb up the Splash hill... LOL!)

On another note, I'm grateful someone is there to watch... I've heard of people "flashing" on the hill pics.. and while THEY might think it's funny, they need to think of others on the ride who wish to PURCHASE pics for souvenirs.. and may not have time to go back, wait in line again and ride again. Geez! Especially some younger peeps! I remember my son only wanting to ride ONCE, and it took awhile for him to get the courage a bit when he was younger.. like 7 or 8 and now he's a coaster freak.

We've been stopped on that hill quite often. Mostly in the middle, but the annoucement was always due to mechanical difficulties... not someone misbehaving. (Remember.. it's SPRING BREAK time.. I'm sure there are tons of wild and wooly college students roamin' around!) I've never felt a slide at all when we've stopped.. and actually felt comfortable with it, and safe. However, my husband is NOT a fan of this ride... he loves everything EXCEPT the big drop.. and this hill is very antsy for him. He doesn't like not being able to SEE the botton from the top due to the water sprays in the tunnel below. But, he rides with us ONCE for the picture! It's our dedicated thing to do. He hates it stopping because it makes the anticipation of the drop longer..... hehehehe. But even he is fine with the stopping and knows there won't be any slippage... he trusts the mechanicals of THAT.... but the hill, forget it.

Vickie
    ~Dead Men Tell No Tales~

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The "Scary CM" is near the top of the hill right before you go over, IIRC.

The CM is stationed there for safety - to make sure nobody tries to stand up, or gets cold feet and tries to bail out while the ride is running and about to send the log over and out.

If you get halfway out and the log goes over the edge you could easily get killed, and even seat belts in the logs couldn't stop that. Put a safety person there who can slap the "E-stop" button.

And if they try to take off their shirts for a 'Flash Mountain' moment, that's bad publicity. So they look for that, too. (You could have your own photographer stationed at the bridge over the drop, and the photo editors couldn't stop that one from getting out.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Popular Princess

I've had that happen. It was kind of scary because we were sitting there for quite some time. However, I knew we weren't going to fall down hill because they have guards that protect against that. Those are the things you hear clicking as you go up the hill. It was more annoying than anything because the audio kept looping and by the end I swear I had it memorized!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Splash/Mansion/Big Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    The "Scary CM" is near the top of the hill right before you go over, IIRC.
    You're right about everything except this, you're just a wee bit off. The nook where the CM camps out is actually closer to the base of the lift. Everything else is right!

• Keep Moving Forward

Quote Originally Posted by wanderw1 View Post
    Could've easily been me - I've surprised plenty of logs when addressing problems. One girl was kind enough to point out this fact to me when I returned to my post.

And for the record, the cm is also stationed at the base of the hill to correct lap-sitting. In fact, nine times out of ten that's what we deal with down there.

I've been stopped up at the top, right before the drop, waiting for the log below to clear - now THAT's fun!

One day I was on the ride in the back of the log, there was a couple in the front. The woman had been pretty nervous, shrieking a lot on the smaller drops.

Well, we start up the final lift hill. And apparently, she had thought the smaller drops were it. So we're headed up the lift hill and she's screaming, "What's happening? Where are we going?" and I yell back, "This is it, we're headed for the drop!" More unintelligible shrieking from the front....

And of course, we get to the top, right before the drop, and they have to stop the log. Seemed like a long time, too, but maybe that was because I was wondering if the gal was going to have a heart attack....

Oh, she was giving the guy h*ll as we walked out of the unloading area.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast