Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bobsleds?

New Bobsleds?

So are there new bobsleds yet? And did they keep the old-school "cozy", "single-file" seating? Do they have passive restraints?

• Artistic integrity

Re: New Bobsleds?

FROM SCREAMSCAPE.COM :

2011/2012- Matterhorn w/ New Cars - In Development - (10/3/08) The latest rumor on the proposed new Matterhorn cars claims that any plans to retire the current trains in favor of a new fleet will have to wait until at least 2011 at this point, as it was not approved for the next year’s budget.

• Senior Monorail Minion

They will not be getting new bobsleds. Instead the current bobsleds have been retrofited with new seatbelts that will lock in place once the ride starts like Indy does.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• We Go On.

^They have been, or they will be? If they already have those seatbelts

A) I'm going on the Matterhorn next week

B) Why didn't I hear about this?

• Collision speed....FULL!

The latest rumor that I've heard is that they want to make double-wide bobsleds (a la Space Mountain). to increase capacity and have seat belts/restraints.

Seems like a good idea, though they'll need to extend the envelope around the track.

I always thought the bobsleds looked odd (both the current and the prototype shown above). I've been doing some re-imagineering concepts for the Matterhorn, and here's my rendition of new bobsleds...

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    B) Why didn't I hear about this?
    I'm wondering the same thing... especially here!

• Like a grand & miraculous

7 turns from Disneyland!:) but about 1,150 miles on I-5. haha AKA: Puyallup, WA

Those look Stunning, Nautilus! They would really match the Mark VII's nicely!

^Thanks! That was the intent, to have a new bold, streamlined look--like the Mark VII Monorails.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    The latest rumor that I've heard is that they want to make double-wide bobsleds (a la Space Mountain). to increase capacity and have seat belts/restraints.

Seems like a good idea, though they'll need to extend the envelope around the track.

I always thought the bobsleds looked odd (both the current and the prototype shown above). I've been doing some re-imagineering concepts for the Matterhorn, and here's my rendition of new bobsleds...

Wow these look really cool! I hope Disney does something like this!

• Vasooki-land Owner

That prototype is really ugly. I hope that it isn't done yet. xD I mean, how nice can you make a bobsled look, but it looks really chunky.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• =)

Sorry, Sam, but while that art is a solid presentation of a fun look, I wouldn't want it for the Matterhorn. It feels too...Tomorrowland-ish. Which is what you were going for, but I don't think it's appropriate to this Fantasyland attraction. Actually, I'm perfectly happy with the current design, though side-by-side seating would be nice.

I certainly hope they're not planning on being double-wide. It would degrade the "closeup-ness" riders currently have with the ride environment, caves, yetis, etc. And real-life bobsleds are single-file. And up to 12-16 riders on each train might be more weight over the long run than the track was meant for. Three single seats per train like the WDW Space Mountain trains would be cool. Two single plus one tandem might work, but would require longer vehicles.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Hey Nautilus - How much Product Placement $ did Nike pay to get the Swoosh on the sides?

And one problem I can see - the electrically released seatbelt buckle systems are meant to be hard-mounted to a panel, like at Soarin'.

I don't know if they can make the solenoid small enough for an "inline" buckle with a chunk of webbing behind it (or the rubbery semi-stiff "stalk" mounting like some cars use), waterproofed and hardened enough to survive getting dunked once or twice a day and still work 100%, or the wiring to it sturdy enough to handle the flexing of hundreds of operations a day.

And then they have to add small lead-acid gel batteries on each train for the Emergency Release, and a charging mechanism for the battery. Carrying a bunch of battery boxes up into the mountain with them would complicate the evacuations.

(How? They could repurpose (IE steal ) the Breakaway Battery charging systems used for electric trailer brakes, and recharge at each station stop as they are powering the solenoids with 12 VDC for the station release.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Smile Re: New Bobsleds?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post

I love your rendition. I was wondering if you could make some more of those renditions in different colors like the original bobsleds.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Very nice, Nautilus! I sure hope any new bobsleds look more like your concept that that other clunk prototype. And I agree with everyone else as well -- let's keep the single-file seating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast