Daily News Wire Services
Posted: 04/08/2009 02:23:33 PM PDT
Updated: 04/08/2009 02:24:12 PM PDT
ANAHEIM - A Disneyland-area shuttle bus fueled by propane exploded into flames this morning as the driver was pulling out of a parking lot, but no one was on the bus and the driver was uninjured, authorities said.
The 28-passenger shuttle operated by Coach America and emblazoned with Disney ads caught fire just before 7 a.m. near a company lot in the 2000 block of Manchester Avenue, Maria Sabol of the Anaheim Fire Department said.
The driver noticed flames near her feet and got out of the vehicle before flames, apparently fueled by propane, shot some 50 feet into the air, she said, adding that a lamp post was charred near Orangewood Avenue and Harbor Boulevard.
After the fire burned out, firefighters determined that an emergency, propane shut-off valve had melted, Sabol said. The cause of the fire, however, was not immediately known.
The bus is owned by the nonprofit Anaheim Transportation Network, Sobol said. The bus had been getting worked on for unspecified reasons and was just returning to service this morning, Sabol said.