Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Tasman goes to Disneyland - first time in 25 years!

This is really a fun report to read. The views you have after having not been for so long are great, as are the comparisons of WDW with DL. And I love your photos, they really are beautiful.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

This is the best comparison I have read. Great report !! Hope to hear more from you !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I'm Wishing...

This is wonderful, I just love hearing about people's trips to Disneyland. The pictures you took really are lovely and I can't wait to hear more! =)

• Knows Where His Towel Is

This is by far one of the more interesting TRs on this thread, and the commentary is well done also. Looking forward to your experience on Indy!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Minion

^^ Thanks everybody.

A few more shots from Adventureland, from Tarzan's Treehouse. I know many people have lamented the passing of the Swiss Family Treehouse, but I found the new version a worthy successor. Disneyland should respect its heritage, but shouldn't be a museum. The Tarzan overlay provides new relevance to the old attraction without being thematically inappropriate, as many other Disney innovations have tended to be. I loved the technological flourishes...such as the mirror and the sketch book...which place this redo firmly in the 21st century. It's not that the Tarzan version is better than the Swiss Family one...or vice versa. It's just a meaningful update in the same spirit that Walt would change things around in the Jungle Cruise down below.

A mountain rising over the tropics...but I thought Kilimanjaro had a flatter top?

Now if you look closely at the center of the picture below, you will see a real snow-capped mountain...part of the San Gabriel range, I think. Pretty neat!

But look in a slightly different direction and you can see clear across to red rock country! Now that's one tall tree.

Down with the Hat

• Minion

With still some time to kill before Indy, I made my way through beautiful New Orleans Square. New Orleans Square is a perfect "land" for a Disney park, in the depth of its layout, level of detailing, quality of attractions, and evocative streetmosphere. It's not really fair to compare this area to Liberty Square...New Orleans will always be more romantic, and the attractions are not quite the same in each "land." But whereas LS has gradually lost some elements of its streetmosphere...such as its fife band...NOS remains as vibrant as ever.

Down with the Hat

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Excellent trip report. So refreshing to see it through the eyes of someone who hasn't been in a long time!

• Minion

^^ Thanks.

Mansion, Pooh, and Indy.

A picture of DL's beautiful Mansion. There are those who debate which is more beautiful...this one or the one at MK...but I think such arguments are silly. The two represent completely different styles...and to me both are equally attractive in their own right. I'm glad there's a unique variant in each park. As for the ride itself...it is essentially the same in both parks...with the notable exception of MK's spiffy new staircase scene. While this scene, unto itself, is not sufficient reason (except perhaps for the most rabid fan) for a trip to Orlando, nonetheless it does give the east coast version a slight edge over the west coast one.

I stopped by Splash Mountain, which had a wait time of about 90 mins throughout the day...so I decided to skip it (had I known about the single rider line, I might have chosen otherwise). Instead I took a walk around Critter Country. I have seen pictures of Tokyo Disneyland's beautifully stylized version of this land, however I do feel the more "realistic" architecture of DL's CC is appropriate to the setting it shares with NOS and Frontierland (I find Tokyo's style just as appropriate, as a transition between Fantasyland and Frontierland). Pooh was essentially a walk-on, so I went there next. From Youtube videos, my opinion had been that WDW's version was better. However, now I am more ambivalent. I always knew that the exterior of DL's Pooh was going to be nicer, with its lush setting. But I also found the "storyline" of the DL ride to be more cohesive. Having Pooh stuck in the honey tree as park of his dream makes more sense than having him dumped up there by a flood, and advancing the flood scene to an earlier stage of ride also improves the flow of the story. Furthermore, the scene where Pooh "leaves" his physical self works better in the DL version, and the decorative elements of the dream sequence are also nicer here. However, the remainder of DL's version is very sparsely detailed, has rather poor caliber animatronics, and a rather unattractive palette of unnatural colors...all areas where the MK version does somewhat better. Final verdict is...a tie between the two. And a final request is...Mr. Iger...puh-lease give us Hunny Hunt! If that were to happen, I doubt this ride would be a walk-on.

Also at long last I could go and redeem my Indy fast-pass. What can I say about Indy that hasn't been said before? It's the perfect Disney thrill ride, the very best that we have in the states. I have no grounds for complaint regarding any aspect of the attraction, it's exceedingly well done. In fact among all the thrill rides Disney has created thus far, I would say perhaps only Journey to the Center of the Earth is better...but I cannot even say that for certain (in a few years, we should be able to rectify this uncertainty ). Orlando has been shortchanged in not having a version of Indy...either the MK or DHS would benefit tremendously by its presence.

Last edited by tasman; 04-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Pilot EdForceOne

I was with you all the way until you hit tarzan I would have echo'd most of your comments identically. Too bad you missed out on F!, that one is a big difference that is worth seeing. Can't wait to hear what you say about space mountain
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I was with you all the way until you hit tarzan I would have echo'd most of your comments identically. Too bad you missed out on F!, that one is a big difference that is worth seeing. Can't wait to hear what you say about space mountain
    Thanks - as far as Space Mountain goes, I loved it of course...but I can't really compare the two coast versions. I haven't been on Orlando's version since...1985 ha ha. Although I have been to the MK several times in the past few years...I have had some back trouble in the past...and stories about how bumpy the ride has become have kept me away from Space. Also...with regard to Tarzan...anytime nostalgia gets the better of you...feel free to mosey on over to Orlando for your fill of the swissapolka!
    Down with the Hat

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I love the picture looking down Main Street.

The guests themselves just make the photo. XD!!

P.S. The picture you took of the matterhorn from Tarzan's Treehouse looks shockingly like mine from October @_@.

Last edited by Goover; 04-10-2009 at 03:09 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Aw. You should have given Space Mountain a chance. I have a bad back too but the seats on the vehicles allow for good back support. I never have a problem on Space Mountain.

The ride that I do have problems with is the Matterhorn, which offers minimal back support and is also very bumpy. Interestingly, I believe that MK's Space Mountain has similar cars. So I'm not surprised you have not ridden MK's Space Mountain for such a long time. However DL's Space Mountain seats sit side-by-side and offer far superior back support. It's too bad you missed it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    However DL's Space Mountain seats sit side-by-side and offer far superior back support. It's too bad you missed it.
    No, no, I did ride DL's Space Mountain this visit...twice in fact...it's the MK's version that I haven't been on since '85.
    Last edited by tasman; 04-10-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Im the fun mommy :)

Nice pics, while I disagree on some of your points, your pictures make me smile
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    No, no, I did ride DL's Space Mountain this visit...twice in fact...it's the MK's version that I haven't been on '85.
    Oops! I re-read what you posted. Sorry about that!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast