Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: Tasman goes to Disneyland - first time in 25 years!

Nice shots! 25 years huh? Hope you had fun in your return to DL.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

What a great report! Can't wait to read more.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• radiantly eccentric

Talking Re: Tasman goes to Disneyland - first time in 25 years!

you are a great trip reporter! super pictures too!!! got any more?
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• Minion

^^ Thanks for the comments all. Will post more pics tomorrow
    Down with the Hat

Great trip report. Very thoughtful observations. I have only been to Orlando a few times but enough to at least appreciate your comparisons.

With regard to the Sleeping Beauty's Castle vs Cindarella's castl, I don't think you can really compare. Cindarella's castle works in the MK because there is just more space. The MK's hub is gigantic compared to DL's If DL had a castle as big as Cindarella's it would look really out of place.

I liked your comments on Tarzan. By and large, they won't be popular here. My kids who are now college age only know the Tarzan character and were happy to see "him."

I look forward to more of your trip report.
    The Mur

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Thanks for the pics and your comments.

One comment on your comments, it's too bad you weren't able to see DL, when the Disney Gallery was still open - it added so much more to that already amazing land.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I have had some back trouble in the past...and stories about how bumpy the ride has become have kept me away from Space.
    Ahh, it's not that bad really. I have 3 herniated discs and degenerating ones and I don't mind it. As someone said earlier.. the matterhorn is more abusive to you. SM will shake you more, but not jar you as bad as the Matterhorn does.

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Also...with regard to Tarzan...anytime nostalgia gets the better of you...feel free to mosey on over to Orlando for your fill of the swissapolka!
    Ahh.. it's not just nostalgia I do make it a point to visit the tree each time. I just had my kids watch SFR for the first time last month.. so interested to see their reactions next time we go.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    With regard to the Sleeping Beauty's Castle vs Cindarella's castl, I don't think you can really compare. Cindarella's castle works in the MK because there is just more space. The MK's hub is gigantic compared to DL's If DL had a castle as big as Cindarella's it would look really out of place.
    IMO the perfect solution already exists...in Paris...that castle is just the right blend of charm and grandeur.
    Down with the Hat

When you are in Paris in person, you'll see that the Disneyland Paris castle (the best Disney castle in the world) would probably overwhelm DL's hub as well as Fantasyland behind it.

There is no solution for DL since there is no problem. It is what it is. "One of the most beautiful castles in the world", as Walt put it.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 04-10-2009 at 09:58 PM.

• Minion

A few more pics before I hit the sack today...

On my to-do list for this trip to DL was to ride the railrorad. Honestly I don't remember if I've ever ridden the MK's railroad...perhaps I did as a child, don't recall. But since becoming an adult Disneyphile I have wanted to see those two dioramas, absent at the MK...and so now I finally did. They are a nice touch.

I then walked around Main Street for a bit. The Opera was closed but I was glad to note that Mr. Lincoln would be returning in the near future. I was also glad to see the Cinema operational...unlike at the MK...and I have already commented on Center Street. Being a busy spring break day, all the Main St vehicles were out in force, adding some eye candy and thematic depth. Sad to note though, here as elsewhere, that the Penny Arcade has gone the way of the Dodo. Just to make sure that I did not starve and also go the way of aforementioned extinct birdie, I picked up a brownie and iced coffee for sustenance on the long road to Fantasyland

Backside (or is it the front?...depends on one's perspective I guess) of the station...

I'll see YOU (building below) in a couple of days:

Last edited by tasman; 04-10-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Wilderness Explorer

Tasman, really enjoying your post and commentary. Like everyone else has said, I really appreciate the comparisons and perspective. Thanks!

• Minion

^^ Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    There is no solution for DL since there is no problem. It is what it is. "One of the most beautiful castles in the world", as Walt put it.
    In referring to a "solution" I wasn't implying that we needed to change the castle at DL. I was referring to a design solution for a castle wasn't either too small to too short on charm...and that solution is the castle in Paris.
    Down with the Hat

• Animation Domination

At least you gone to WDW. I have never gone to WDW, but I have gone to Disneyland hundreds of times.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    At least you gone to WDW. I have never gone to WDW, but I have gone to Disneyland hundreds of times.
    WDW is definitely worth a visit. Standards have declined a lot since the early 1990s...together with the loss of some great rides and some really bad decisions with regard to theming...but it's still fun. Although MK cannot compare with DL on an individual basis, WDW in its totality has much to offer that is unique compared to DLR. As for myself...of course I have been to WDW...especially more so in recent times since I have been living about 2.5 hours down the road.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Matterhorn

Unsurprisingly, the Matterhorn was also near the top of my to-do list. The wait time read "35 minutes" but the way the line snaked all the way around the mountain looked ominous. However despite appearances the line moved along at a nice clip until I almost reached the loading area...and then the ride broke down (the third ride to do so this visit). There was what seemed to be a very long pause until things were up and running again, but in reality I waited perhaps 40 - 45 minutes. All these oldie rides give support to the idea of abolishing fast-pass...when they are running smoothly, there is typically a 20-30 minute wait, and even when they are not, the wait generally does not exceed 50 minutes. As for the ride itself, it was a fun experience. Matterhorn is another of those unique elements which gives the original DL such wonderful depth in terms of rides and theming. I don't know if comparing it to Everest is really fair, since the two rides occupy very different locations and fulfill very different roles. If we had to make a comparison, then Everest is definitely the more memorable experience, even with a static Yeti. The reasons for this include the elaborate queue, details such as passing through the temple on the way up and the cool yeti projection, the unexpected backwards section, longer and smoother drops, etc. But comparisons aside, the Matterhorn remains a great ride...and I can surely appreciate that, unlike its east coast counterpart, all the effects and animatronics are working just fine, that there are details within the mountain such as the glowing crystals, and that the mountain itself themed all around (unlike Everest, which has an unthemed back side visible from outside the park).

Last edited by tasman; 04-11-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Down with the Hat

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast