Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Minion

Re: Tasman goes to Disneyland - first time in 25 years!

Thanks again everybody.

Dlandclub33, I'd like to think that I kept an open mind and made comparisons at the same time Sorry you thought I was being negative...I thought I offered plenty of praise where I felt it was due. If I feel something could be improved, I say so as well...I feel that is different than merely being negative. Such observations in no way diminish my enjoyment of the parks...I don't go to them as often as some folks here, so I am delighted whenever I have the opportunity.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Thanks again everybody.

Dlandclub33, I'd like to think that I kept an open mind and made comparisons at the same time Sorry you thought I was being negative...I thought I offered plenty of praise where I felt it was due. If I feel something could be improved, I say so as well...I feel that is different than merely being negative. Such observations in no way diminish my enjoyment of the parks...I don't go to them as often as some folks here, so I am delighted whenever I have the opportunity.
    Oh I'm sorry, I might of came off a little mean. I meant negativity of comparing the two parks. I did enjoy your TR very much! I just thought that you were goin in there with a closed mind. I guess I was wrong. See when I came to WDW for the first tome I remember constantly comparing and contrasting and didn't have a good time. Then I had an opened mind and had a blast.

• Minion

I agree that this was a great trip report. The interesting thing is how it really hit the nail on the head in so many ways. It addressed the differences between the two, but showed respect to both parks.

I will always be partial to Disneyland because not only is it my home park, but it is the original. As the other parks around the world are expanded and possibly receive highly impressive attractions that take technology to the next level, the one thing that will never change is that Disneyland is the original, and that makes it very special. There is also an intimacy there that I find quite amazing.

Though I agree with many of Tasman's impressions in his/her trip report, I especially agree with one of the main impressions given on DCA. It does incorporate a selection of attractions that I don't feel had a place in Walt's visions of his theme park, and that's why DCA will always have a sense of disconnect for me. It's a Disney park, so it will always feel like a higher quality experience than many of the other surrounding "amusement" parks, but it did enter into a realm that, while effectively bringing back shades of the old pier parks of California's coastline, didn't hit what I consider to be the Disney mark. But then again, that's my opinion. I know many people don't like the "what would Walt do" trends, but it's what it is. And having been a ten year CM at the park, I do tend to go that way, having learned so much about the philosophies of Walt Disney along the way. I know he wanted the park to continue evolving, but I also think there were certain things he liked, and certain things that didn't fit into his vision.

I also agree with Tasman's Toontown observations. I think the word "superfluous" was used, and I think that's perfect. I have always felt that that area of Disneyland would be better used as an extension of Fantasyland. Over the years, so much has been discussed about what potential attractions (based on classic Disney tales) could receive their own attractions, and I always felt that if Toontown were changed to an extension of Fantaslyand, it would be a great place to put some new attractions based on those classics. Change Toontown to Fantasyland, and move Toontown to DCA where I think it would work nicely next to the Hollywood area.

I will say that, while I understand that we don't want a museum at Disneyland, I did prefer the Swiss Family Treehouse, and I think it would have been cool if they had used the technology they used for Nemo to recreate the original trip to the North Pole (was it?). It would have taken a classic and made it fresh with technology. I just don't think it needed a "toon" connection. But those are just personal preferences that are neither valid, or invalid. They are just personal opinions that some will share, and some won't.

I found it interesting that you liked Tomorrowland at Disneyland. It seems that Tomorrowland in Florida has more action (though it has been a while since I have been there). Of course, I've lived in Southern Cal my whole life, and have seen the changes (and lack thereof) in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. For me, Tomorrowland has gone stagnant, and it really isn't an area I go to all that much (except for Space). The empty PM tracks, and what I consider to be the lackluster use of the carousel, has made it a rather uninteresting area. Taking out Mission to Mars and replacing it with a restaurant has only removed that much more from the area. I know some of those are retro attractions that many would not want to see return (along with Inner Space), but I just feel something needs to be done to bring the liveliness back to Tomorrowland.

Loved the trip report.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 04-25-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: err

• Warm Hugging Anna

First of all I can't believe all 8 pages of this. Second like your trip report. I've never been to WDW so can't compland on anything here. But one thing and that is where are the character pics heehee Anyways good report here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678