Thread: Survey Marker

• Who doesn't love NAPs?

Survey Marker

So I was at Disneyland today, and as I was walking to the Haunted Mansion, near the shores of the Rivers of America (where people stake their claim for Fantasmic 7 hours before the actual show", directly across from the island), something caught my eye. It was a golden spike in the ground, not unlike the one at Sleeping Beauty's Castle, though much bigger and with the words "Disneyland Survey Marker" on it. Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know what it is marking?

• Kawasaki Kreep

Re: Survey Marker

Any pics?

I've never heard of it, but I bet someone on here has. Welcome to the board.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I seen it. Some say that the golden spike under the castle, that was supposely the center of Disneyland, is also a survey marker. Anyone know why people want to say this??

• Collision speed....FULL!

It is what it is--a survey marker.

This is the marker next to the Orange Stinger in DCA. I have others, this was the quickest to find on the puter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shopping:

1. www.disneystore.com
    2. http://www.mouseshoppe.com
    3. http://www.laughingplacestore.com
    4. "Disneyland Delivears" (800) 362-4533, [email protected]

Want to learn how to live more healthy? www.losenowandkeepitoff.com for more info ([email protected])

• DL Obsessed

Is it from where they put up ropes for the overflow of POTC?

I know when it first opened back up, the ropes went all the way out there. My guess is maybe they take those out and put the polls in.

Unless it says its a marker.. Im assuming it looks just like the one near sleeping beauty castle and has no markings on it.

• Dont make me unfriend you

If my understanding of survey markers is correct, a survey marker is a "known position". Like in, "this marker is location 32 degrees 25 minutes west and 43 degrees 15 minutes north". (I just made up those numbers). Then once you have a known position on the world, you can find your current position by looking at your distance and direction from the known survey marker. If I know where the known marker is and I know my distance and direction from that marker, I know where I'm at.

However, I think the spread of GPS systems have made using survey points a little obsolete now.

EDIT: I just looked at the link that rooby posted. If you follow some of the links, it gives the latitude and longitude of all of the survey markers. They are an interesting set of webpages. I also find it interesting that somebody would create them.
    Last edited by Garrett240; 04-17-2009 at 07:47 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    I also find it interesting that somebody would create them.
    Of course, it's seven minutes to Wapner....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

If my understanding of survey markers is correct, a survey marker is a "known position". Like in, "this marker is location 32 degrees 25 minutes west and 43 degrees 15 minutes north". (I just made up those numbers). Then once you have a known position on the world, you can find your current position by looking at your distance and direction from the known survey marker.
    Yup.. such fixed points make it easier to work out other locations in the future rather then starting all over again.

However, I think the spread of GPS systems have made using survey points a little obsolete now.
    Not at all. Commercial GPS just isn't accurate enough for such work. When you work in feet and inches... forget GPS
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Not at all. Commercial GPS just isn't accurate enough for such work. When you work in feet and inches... forget GPS
    Quite true. In fact, there is a HUGE network of markers all over the entire country... even out in the wilderness. The whole country has been surveyed for over 100 years.

It's called the National Geodetic Survey, and there are markers probably with 1 mile of your house (yes, YOURS!)

As has been stated, they are used as "benchmarks" or known locations. From there you can mark off distances and triangulate to get precise positions down to centimeters accuracy or better. This is how roads are laid out and planned as well as land allotments and pretty much everything else. Newer NGS markers are even incorporating GPS systems within them so that they can be used to monitor plate tectonics and local ground movements. It is a Federal Crime to mess with these markers, so feel free to take pictures, but don't disturb them in any way.

The Disneyland markers were laid out in relation to the NGS markers and are used internally by the resort for construction projects.

Lots of information about the NGS markers at this link:
    Groundspeak - Benchmark Hunting Home Page
    You can even put in your zip code and search for markers near you at the top right of the page.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I seen it. Some say that the golden spike under the castle, that was supposely the center of Disneyland, is also a survey marker. Anyone know why people want to say this??
    Why people want to say which:

That the golden "spike" under the Castle is the center of Disneyland? Because that's what the tour guides are telling them. It has been proven in other discussions here using aerial photos that, before or after the Toontown expansion, the center of Disneyland is much closer to the Hub and the Partners statue.

That the golden "spike" under the Castle is a survey marker used to align the Castle with the center of Main Street? Because it is.

• Who doesn't love NAPs?

Aw, that's a bit anticlimactic. I was hoping it was something super cool, but at least now I know. Thanks!