Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The line's too long...

Re: If you can have something from WDW to come to Disneyland. What would it be?

Epcot.

If not that, then I'd switch out our Pooh and White for theirs but keeping our queue exteriors. And bring TTA and CoP back to Tomorrowland.

Rock'n'Roller coaster! That was probably my favourite thing when I went last.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I disagree. WDW is in the deep freeze, whereas Disneyland seems to have gotten a lot of love in the fast few years, with the Castle Walkthrough, Abe Lincoln, original Tiki Room, submarines, and Extreme Makeover DCA edition. Clearly there is some one at Disneyland's WDI (*cough* Baxter) with an intent on bringing back classic attractions.

Maybe I'm biased as a WDW frequent visitor, but I say any attention Iger will give to WDW, let him give...
    Having just been at WDW but a So.Cal gal with an Annual Pass I would agree with this. Disneyland has gotten the love and attention but WDW hasn't. There are many good things about WDW which I throughly enjoyed and it is tourist driven but that doesn't mean it shouldn't get new things and attention.

• Pilot EdForceOne

WDW gets tons of attention.. it just hasn't been getting big new attractions.

If you follow WDW news, you find all kinds of refurbs going on all over the place. They just aren't covered here.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    WDW gets tons of attention.. it just hasn't been getting big new attractions.

If you follow WDW news, you find all kinds of refurbs going on all over the place. They just aren't covered here.
    I think people tend to notice the volume of new additions less because they are diluted over more parks. But...both Epcot and Animal Kingdom have gotten a lot of attention in the past decade. DHS just got a big new D-ticket. MK was on course for big Fantasyland additions...and those will likely still happen, but just pushed back five years or so on account of the economy.

Back on topic...for me...Mickey's Philharmagic would be a nice substitute for Muppet Vision 3D...as a tribute to classic Disney films I think it would tie in better with the Hollywood theme. Also, Peoplemover needs to come back. Country Bears could also come back...but I would not displace Pooh...and rather place it where the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is today. I think it would tie in with the California outdoors theme since it was originally intended for the Mineral King Ski Resort. I wouldn't bring back Carousel of Progress...that space can be used for a nice new Tomorrowland E-ticket. I don't think there are any other WDW attractions that I would like to see DLR.
    Last edited by tasman; 04-19-2009 at 06:56 AM.
    Down with the Hat

• Pilot EdForceOne

Typhoon Lagoon But for some reason the Cali people all seem to be against visiting the WDW water parks. They rock.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Fortuosity!

At one point in time Alien Encounter and The Timekeeper were planned to be put in DL's Tomorrowland. I'd love for AE to replace HISTA and Timkeeper to replace Innoventions so that they exist somewhere.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    At one point in time Alien Encounter and The Timekeeper were planned to be put in DL's Tomorrowland. I'd love for AE to replace HISTA and Timkeeper to replace Innoventions so that they exist somewhere.
    AE got complaints from frightened guests and parents of frightened guests...while Timekeeper just wasn't popular at either MK or DLP...so while personally I think they were nice (and certainly better than their replacements), I doubt they will ever return.
    Down with the Hat

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Typhoon Lagoon But for some reason the Cali people all seem to be against visiting the WDW water parks. They rock.
    Different culture, Flynn.

LA/OC and the Inland Empire have about 20 million people give or take, but there are only 4 water parks serving all these people: Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Knott's Soak City, Raging Waters, and Wild Rivers. And Wild Rivers is likely to be closing sometime within the next 2-5 years, so that leaves 3 water parks in the same area.

It's not that we have anything against WDW's water parks. To be honest with you, in my opinion they seem much better than anything California has which they naturally should be since they were designed by Disney. The big difference is that people living in LA, OC and the Inland Empire are within an hour or so of all of the major beaches. Why pay to go to a water park when you can go to the beach for free? A water park is just something we don't think about when planning a vacation. It doesn't mean we don't like them or have anything against them. A water park is just not the first thing we think of when summertime comes, and only 4 and soon to be 3 water parks serving this entire area should be an attestation to that fact.

Wild Rivers is the closest water park to my house, and I have been there a couple of times. But once it closes the next closest water park will be Soak City and I am not going to drive 25 minutes to go there when I can get to the beach in less than 10 or 15 minutes. Now if it was a Disney water park I might go because of the reputation of Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, and I know that I would be in an emmersive experience at a Disney water park. But even then it would probably be just once or twice during the summer.

I think another big reason that Disney doesn't build a water park here is that they are only open during the summertime. Are the WDW water parks closed for at least half the year, like the California water parks are? If you are ever at Knott's or Magic Mountain when their water parks are closed, you see this big, empty, ghost town of a park that in some ways makes the area look a extremely deprepit. At WDW this is a lot easier to hide than at the DLR where a closed water park would be a huge and glaring blight on the area.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

How about WDW's version of the Tower of Terror??
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Animatronic

I like WDW's version of Fort Wilderness a lot better than the current Disneyland offering. I also like their tree house better. Just seems more adventurous and better themed. If only such a tree house could be at Disneyland!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It's not that we have anything against WDW's water parks. To be honest with you, in my opinion they seem much better than anything California has which they naturally should be since they were designed by Disney. The big difference is that people living in LA, OC and the Inland Empire are within an hour or so of all of the major beaches. Why pay to go to a water park when you can go to the beach for free?
    An interesting discussion - but doesn't negate that Water Parks are a common fixture in most beach resorts too. Why goto the water park when visiting the beach, when the beach is free?

Because the water parks offer things you don't have at the beach.. and in an environment different from the beach.

By your logic.. why would anyone from California want to goto a hotel pool either?

And most of the time when I hear the DL locals talk about the water parks, they think of them as big bath tubs and are disgusted by them - not because 'I can do that at home'

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I think people tend to notice the volume of new additions less because they are diluted over more parks. But...both Epcot and Animal Kingdom have gotten a lot of attention in the past decade. DHS just got a big new D-ticket. MK was on course for big Fantasyland additions...and those will likely still happen, but just pushed back five years or so on account of the economy.

Back on topic...for me...Mickey's Philharmagic would be a nice substitute for Muppet Vision 3D...as a tribute to classic Disney films I think it would tie in better with the Hollywood theme. Also, Peoplemover needs to come back. Country Bears could also come back...but I would not displace Pooh...and rather place it where the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is today. I think it would tie in with the California outdoors theme since it was originally intended for the Mineral King Ski Resort. I wouldn't bring back Carousel of Progress...that space can be used for a nice new Tomorrowland E-ticket. I don't think there are any other WDW attractions that I would like to see DLR.
    Yes. WDW always has received it's own fair share of love and attention. Granted in the past few years, it's been primarily smaller attractions. Even so, one cannot write off the relatively recent Expedition: Everest, grand Finding Nemo musical, Mission: Space, Soarin' Over California (destined to get it's own unique Soarin' film). In the past, WDW seemed to get everything while Disneyland got nothing but the shaft.

Plus, WDW has to look forward to the new Fantasyland makeover rides (you mentioned), it's own verion of an Indiana Jones Ride (at the Studios), a new StarTours revamp, and eventually a Villians Simulator.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Do you think Cali people are against WDW waterparks ..or they just don't prioritize them. or think do do them? All that I know is I haven't been to one as of yet, but I definitely will upon my first visit to WDW. I very much agree with you that Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach ROCK!!!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I can't think of anything, at the moment that I would like to migrate from WDW to Disneyland. I like the fact that they are different experiences. I know what to expect at each destination, and I plan for that when I visit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast