• Minion

Confetti cannons atop the Main Street buildings

The other day, I noticed that there are confetti cannons in a number of hidden places on top of the Main Street buildings.

Logic would say, these must be used for the Celebration Street Party. But the parade floats have their own confetti cannons attached to the units:

Closeup of the same picture above:

They're on the stage floats too:

Of the three "celebration zones" for the Street Party, Main Street is the only one that has confetti cannons hidden from above, apart from the floats; there aren't any hidden on location at the central hub or the small world promenade.

I can't tell for sure if the Main Street building cannons are used for the Street Party, mostly because the parade didn't blast any confetti at all during the recent performances I watched. (There are still lots of kinks to be ironed out of that non-parade; earlier this week all of the character balloons were missing entirely from the tops of the floats.)

So why do we care about confetti cannons? Well, if we can figure out the purpose of the ones on top of the Main Street buildings, we might be able to confirm a show element of Disneyland's next fireworks show.

Quoted from Al Lutz:
    Magical will be shorter than the 17 minute long Remember, clocking in at about 12 minutes, but they are trying to add in as many new effects as possible that don't close attractions or walkways. The concepts still being thrown around late in the game include a flying Dumbo character sharing cable time with Tinkerbelle, and a confetti filled finale' on Main Street USA.
    What do you think? Anyone have more information?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Confetti cannons atop the Main Street buildings

I would like to see them used, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start using them until Summer.

I have cleaned up more confetti in my store than they probably have on the streets!

• Yo!

They don't look very new. Perhaps they're just left over elements from Light Magic that they never removed?
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Weird, all my time at Disney, I have NEVER heard or seen the confetti cannons. It's cool to see them. Good eye!!

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

They are left over from Light Magic. The Small World Mall area has them, too, but their more hidden in the three light towers that were built specifically for Light Magic. They are hidden behind tiles in the towers that can open up for the express purposes of firing confetti; this area, along with Main Street proper, were the only two performance areas for Light Magic.

• Park Lover

The confetti worked on Celebrate when I saw it. It was the debut though, so maybe it was special? But they were shooting mickey shaped confetti all over the place. I picked up a couple and tucked them into my map.

• Still wants to be a cat!

They didn't shoot the confetti on Tuesday or Wednesday due to high wind conditions....you may have noticed that the balloons were not on the floats either. Not gliches in the party.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

I don't think the Main Street cannons are left over from Light Magic. Or, if they were, they haven't always been up there since Light Magic ended in 1997.

Here is a picture I took of the Penny Arcade in early February this year. Notice there's no cannon sticking up in the area with the red circle.

But it's definitely there now:

They have remained for the occasional special event/as needed situation. They were built to be lowered when not in use ... now whether they actually DO lower them in between performances (as they should, for show) is another story. Back in '97, they would rise shortly before Light Magic, but were not visible like that during the day.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    They have remained for the occasional special event/as needed situation. They were built to be lowered when not in use ... now whether they actually DO lower them in between performances (as they should, for show) is another story. Back in '97, they would rise shortly before Light Magic, but were not visible like that during the day.
    If that is the case, then why do you suppose they are visible now?

^As I just said, "whether they actually DO lower them now in between performances is a different story."

-Or-

To give you something to argue about after asking others for information.
    Last edited by WJNM; 04-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Not only that, but the tubes can be disconnected from the firing unit itself.
    The tubes were taken off of the west side of Main Street this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Not only that, but the tubes can be disconnected from the firing unit itself.
    The tubes were taken off of the west side of Main Street this evening.
    That works too! Whatever needs to happen to "put them away" when not needed for the show is good!

• Fireworks Finatic!

I will also chime in and say those cannons have been there for some time. I have noticed them up there often and not just this year. I would say also they were probably there since Light Magic. They just never took them down because they probably use them for special events and when they have a special parade for someone. Now if what Al is reporting comes true about having confetti after the new fireworks show, they may be put to use more frequently over summer.

I did notice the street party did not have any confetti on Tuesday. But the character balloons were there. It's good they are toning down the confetti and streamers when it's windy because it gets in the trees and everything. I even saw some streamers on one of the tops of the Castle, stuck in the gold trim along the top.

• The Z is the new E ticket

The confetti cannons date back to the Party Gras parade from 35th anniversary. We still have some of the confetti from that parade.