Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Back when Disneyland had orange groves, what did they do with the oranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey114 View Post
    And now Sunkist is a soda.. odd.

They do have some orange trees in Disneyland, but they should definatly have more orange trees in California Adventure. Imagine how famous DCA could be if they made fresh orange juice from their trees each day. Well at least famous for SOMETHING. That could add a really great feel to california adventure.
    Great idea. If Disney agrew a lot of orange trees at DCA, I would want to pick my own oranges and sqeeze the juice into my own glass. They should consider coordinating more activities such as this for guests.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Here's video from California's Gold with Huell Howser on the last producing orange grove left in Anaheim: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPs1quQMio]YouTube - Anaheim Colony Pt. 2 - California's Gold with Huell Howser #135[/ame]
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    That was just a licensing arrangement, Disney didn't make that juice themselves.

Ride Warrior: The "Grow your own juice oranges" idea is great, but it would take (rough guess) 50 to 100 acres of trees to satisfy their demand for a year. They might be able to do that on a chunk of their land in Florida, but not anywhere near Anaheim.

Oh, and it'll take 6 to 10 years to go from raw land to producing groves, and about 15 years for the trees to mature to full production. One hard frost kills the trees, and you reset the clock.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    It's *only* $19K for the one with the refrigerated OJ tank. (And remember, that's MSRP, meaning 'the bigger the order, the lower the real price'.) But if you have a long line of people every day willing to pay premium prices for a glass of "So fresh it was an Orange 2 minutes ago..." Orange Juice, you make your investment back fast.

Who knows, they might have stashed the old "Sunkist, I Presume" orange juicing machines in a warehouse somewhere...

Plus, if you produce them in bulk, you can sell the orange rinds to the people who extract the orange oil for cleaning products.

Or they can apply Environmentality (TM Disney) buy their own rind grinder and oil press/extraction machinery, a small steam distiller (put it behind the Roundhouse, I think they have a stationary boiler) and make their own d-limonene Orange Oil Cleaner on-site. Cut the waste stream, too.

--<< Bruce >>--
    That's a good question...

I'm not sure what Sunkist did with those old juicers. My guess is that yes, they probably are in some warehouse in LA. I'm sure they can still be used -- those machines were built to last. Whether or not they meet current health standards, though, is a big question.

One thing I would like to clarify -- the orange oil used in cleaning polish is usually processed by the juice extraction plant and sold to the cleaning product manufacturer. The rinds themselves are usually not sold to the cleaning product company for this. Special equipment is needed to extract the oils from the orange, and the juice company is generally not going to buy this equipment unless they go into specific arrangement with another company that would want to purchase this byproduct.

As far as the Disneyland juice was concerned, it is quite possible that the rinds were sold as cattle feed. I say this because this is what the company continues to do since they left Disneyland. They could try to extract the oil and try to sell it to a cleaning product company, but with the added cost of having to do this extraction, it is far more cost efffective to have the cleaning product company come to them instead of the other way around. Not only this, but the type of juice produced during this process is inferior in quality. And of course, selling the rinds to the cattle feed manfacturers helps to recoup some of the cost incurred in producing the juice, which obviously relates to lower prices for the consumer.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

As for the original trees ... there's a story out there (I don't know if it's true or not) that Walt wanted to save as many of the original orange trees as possible for 1) atmosphere and 2) to reduce the landscaping costs in the park. To that end, different colored ties were tied to each tree - one color meant bulldoze, the other meant to leave the tree. All the trees ended up being bulldozed, with Walt later finding out that the bulldozer operator was color-blind. If it is a true story, someone certainly dropped the ball with communication!

• Minion

The colorblind bulldozer operator story is a myth.

• Fastest Man Alive

Truth is, the bulldozer operator just really didn't like trees much.

• A Weather Eye Open

It's *only* $19K for the one with the refrigerated OJ tank. (And remember, that's MSRP, meaning 'the bigger the order, the lower the real price'.) But if you have a long line of people every day willing to pay premium prices for a glass of "So fresh it was an Orange 2 minutes ago..." Orange Juice, you make your investment back fast.

Who knows, they might have stashed the old "Sunkist, I Presume" orange juicing machines in a warehouse somewhere...
    Then it's totally feasible. They could have it available in most of the restaurants. Lots of people look for alternatives to soda. They could stop selling Simply Orange (which I like, but would greatly prefer fresh squeezed of course). The Simply Orange is so overpriced in the parks anyway that I can't imagine a glass of fresh juice would need to cost much more at all to turn a profit. Jamba Juice sells fresh squeezed orange juice all day at a reasonable price.
    I'm wondering if people would even believe it was fresh until they tasted it, you know? Most people have learned now that when it comes to theme park food, especially in Disneyland/World, it's overpriced and low quality. It's just what you come to expect in the park (though I don't think it's necessarily ALWAYS true), but they could turn that idea around by starting with a few key details and making more stuff in-house and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    The colorblind bulldozer operator story is a myth.

I never know if things like this are true or not, and it bugs me! If this is a myth, a horribly atrocity has been committed, because it's been perpetuated several times a day for the past 4 or 5 years in the "50 Magical Years" show. That dang Steve Martin!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• All-American

That was just a licensing arrangement, Disney didn't make that juice themselves.

Ride Warrior: The "Grow your own juice oranges" idea is great, but it would take (rough guess) 50 to 100 acres of trees to satisfy their demand for a year. They might be able to do that on a chunk of their land in Florida, but not anywhere near Anaheim.

Oh, and it'll take 6 to 10 years to go from raw land to producing groves, and about 15 years for the trees to mature to full production. One hard frost kills the trees, and you reset the clock.

--<< Bruce >>--
    They could just plant already-grown trees, could they not?

And as for the quantity, they could just supplement the few oranges from DCA with fresh oranges from elsewhere.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    And as for the quantity, they could just supplement the few oranges from DCA with fresh oranges from elsewhere.
    In the Citrus House days the oranges always came from "eleswhere" anyways. They were California oranges but they came from Sunkist growers located throughout the state. I couldn't tell you exactly from where, though, but the company now gets most of its oranges for juicing from the Bakersfield area.

It is likely that originally the groves were closer to Disneyland but all that has been sold since then for development.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

WJNM: The Colorblind Bulldozer Operator story is the Original Disneyland Myth, a whopper of a tall tale thought up and told by a brand-new young Public Relations person - Marty Sklar. He kept the job, obviously...

Mark Twain: They could transplant fully grown trees, but that costs a lot in labor and transportation. The downside is you lose some trees to transplant shock, and the rest stop producing usable fruit for two or three years. They have to grow new root systems and get established again.

Buying established young trees in 5-gallon pots is the best way to shave a few years off the timeline. But you still need to order them from the nursery NOW so they can plant them, as you start buying land and getting it cleared and ready to start your orange groves.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• All-American

^ I'm quickly learning that Bruce Bergman knows everything..

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

WJNM: The Colorblind Bulldozer Operator story is the Original Disneyland Myth, a whopper of a tall tale thought up and told by a brand-new young Public Relations person - Marty Sklar. He kept the job, obviously...

Mark Twain: They could transplant fully grown trees, but that costs a lot in labor and transportation. The downside is you lose some trees to transplant shock, and the rest stop producing usable fruit for two or three years. They have to grow new root systems and get established again.

Buying established young trees in 5-gallon pots is the best way to shave a few years off the timeline. But you still need to order them from the nursery NOW so they can plant them, as you start buying land and getting it cleared and ready to start your orange groves.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Gotcha ... I figured as much, that's why I clearly labeled it as not sure if it was true or not. Interesting work on Marty's part!

• Genteel Amphibian

I think it's funny that google-ads is now giving us an add for Honeybells from Al's Family Farm I think I'm going to run to the store and get some OJ, be right back....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast